• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Cornelia Rau (1 Viewer)

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
They did indeed contact the german consulate. The Qld police checked the Qld missing persons register but she was listed as missing on the NSW one.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Fair enough, but i haven't yet heard an explanation for how she got to be walking around the queensland outback...
I'm not saying that what they did was perfect, but they did seem to be trying to identify who she was.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Um i think being crazy probably explains wandering around in the qld outback.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
No idea - i figured they found her literally wandering around.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Even if she had a pretty good story about how she WAS an immigrant?
isn't it better to be safe than sorry? I mean... where else would you place her?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
what so every mentally ill illegal immigrant should stay in a psych ward of some hospital somewhere, when we don't have enough beds ourselves?

I agree that psychological evaluations, treatments should be done probably in a hospital, but we should keep every possible illegal immigrant that's mentally ill in one of those hospitals untill we find out what they are?

2sense

The disorderly drunk
HSC
The Government should not make excuses about the accident but should apologise for what they did and give her ALOT of compensation.

firehose

HSC
2sense said:
The Government should not make excuses about the accident but should apologise for what they did and give her ALOT of compensation.
Definitely. Detention centres are not good in the 1st place anyway.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Will Labor guarentee that this wouldn't happen under their watch?
I think the greens is the only party that could say it wouldn't happen (as they i believe would remove detention centres).

Seriously as long as you have detention centres, you will have this sort of situation occur every now and then.. I'm sure that legitimate citizens of many countries have been locked up in detention.

While at it, the government should appologise.. but I feel any investigation will simply come to the conclusion this sort of thing cannot be avoided.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Its interesting how every1 gets outraged about things like this when it happens to an Australian one of us but it is understandable treatment for illegal immigrants. Even if they aren't Australian they are still people.

Any 'investigation' that will happen will not reveal anything we shouldn't know. Vanstone and Howard will make sure of that. As Neville Wran firmly established in Australian politics never hold and inquiry unless you know beforehand what the result will be.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
wtf Sweets? people are complaining that an australian citizen could be locked up in detention, they're not bitching about her treatment in the detention centre, her treatment in there was fine by all reports.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
What i meant to say was that it causes such a big shock in our system when an Australian citizen is locked up but we treat it with almost a casual indifference when its illegal immigrants, seeing as they 'deserve it'. Don't get me wrong i'm just as outraged as the next person.

And by all reports we probably never will know how she actually was treated either. I mean she wasn't even given a lawyer because she was deemed uable to give instructions to the lawyer. And it is a well known fact that dention centres are traumatising people. Image the effect they would have had on someone who was already mentally ill.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Well some mentally ill people might not mind being in a detention centre... as they are mentally ill.
I think it's the sane people that are more at risk.

However, detention centres are necessary, at least according to Labor and the Liberals... The only disagreement is that the Liberals feel they should be run by private companies while government, independant organisations monitor them.. Labor would have the government running them theirselves.

Would you have an open border policy?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)