Costume Design 2008 (1 Viewer)

ezdiggity

Starved Art Student
HSC
I noticed there weren't any current topics on costumes so i thought I'd post one and see how people are going...

I myself have chosen Everyman as my play and I'm drawing heavily on the surrealistic and Cirque du Soleil for inspiration.
I've pretty much finished the initial designs and i just need to work on rendering them etc. etc.

Tell me about yours...
:)

pollipoda

HSC
I agree!!!! Why is it that no one is doing costume?

Out of my drama class i'm the only one that is doing it. I've chosen As you like it as my piece... i'm a fan of green natural surroundings and it had assisted me in developing a unique vision. I was on a scholarship where I stayed in northern Spain last year and it had deeply inspired me..... the surroundings the culture. I still need to work on the final renderings otherwise everything else is alright.

I was wondering if anyone knew how to do them on photoshop?

if so please reply :)

J.a.d.e :-)

Nom Cupcakes...!
HSC
I'm doing costume design for Noel Coward's Private Lives. And I chose to keep the setting and everything the same, mainly because my teacher said it's better to base your designs around a design concept rather then a time concept..lol.

I'm trying at the moment to write my rationale...but I'm kinda screwed coz it's due Monday...lol.

Hows everyone else going?

ezdiggity

Starved Art Student
HSC
gah. can't believe the due dates come up so quickly...
I've finished renderings, just working on the Rationale as well....
clearly the most annoying part of the design process...
is there a specific structure?
ah well.

Nom Cupcakes...!
HSC
I have no idea.

My teacher told me what I had to do...and I understood it all, but then when I sat down and actually tried to write something..i went blank! lol

You know how we have to do the 4 prelim sketches...do you know how they have to be presented? just in out Logbook? or separate?

Quiff

HSC
i am designing for everyman.
there is me and one other girl in my class who are doing costume then one more that is doing director portfolio and the other 5 are doing ip.
stressing out mines due monday.. that is when we also have the examiners coming out for our GP and everyones IP..
*Stress*:worried:

liarna

HSC
im the smart cookie that left the directorial concept til last... i feel as if im repeating myself with the design concept ARGGGG
how do u write them i need some formatting help its a forming crisis..
and i cannot believe it has to be in on monday!!
:cold:

jackie@kiamaHS

HSC
I'm doing costume design too!

I found the rationale/directorial concept pretty challenging but once i worked out the formula for it it was ok.

I basically-

• gave an intro to why i designed to costumes the way i did, and how that connected to and enhanced the play
  • then in each paragraph after that talked about one specific part of the design concept - eg. using colour, shape, texture - whatever :)
  • THEN in my final paragraph talked about one or two specific costumes and how they related to each other and the design concept
just in case anyone was interested in how to do it. (I pretty much had to figure it out for myself though,)

I just so glad that its pretty much over and done with!

liarna

HSC
i know we have to do both... but i think its just the rationale thats presented in the portfolio.. i would REALLY love to be corrected if that is wrong.
man i cannot wait til monday get this this off my hands!!!! then its just gp to worry about!

Nom Cupcakes...!
HSC
Ahh, so the design concept isn't marked? I though that was the case...since it's not on the requirements list..lol. Did I read somewhere that the rationale is presented on the last page of our Log Book? And maybe you know...our prelim sketches...are the put into our log book too? I've done them..just don;t know what to do with them..lol

liarna

HSC
the rationale goes at the front of the portfolio and the prelim sketches are presented at the end of the folio... its all so confusing!!! lol
performance people have it so easy! they have NO idea... how big is your logbook??? is it fiull?

Nom Cupcakes...!
HSC
It's A3...and it's full..lol. I've got flaps glued onto pages so i have extra room...lol

Is the folio something completely different to the log book?

I'm sure it said somewhere that your final rationale is placed on your final page of your logbook...

Last edited:

liarna

HSC
yes completely different lol...
thats like mine so much stuff spralled everywhere in my logbooks its quite arty... i spose this is the closest thing to art i could get as drama and art were on the same line!
i was looking at a site with old projects on it and the rationale was at the front... i spose it doesnt fully matter just ask the teacher monday and change it then

Nom Cupcakes...!
HSC
He's not gunna be there...lol. I have to hand it in to my English teacher...lol

Ok, so how does the portfolio have to be presented? Can I glue stuff into an A4 artbook ot something? Is there specifications? Coz i have supporting material for my designs that isn't attached to the main renderings...and i was just gunna stick it all into my log book...lol

ezdiggity

Starved Art Student
HSC
ok,
the director/design concept is your rationale... you don't need anything but that one 300 word piece of writing.
your rationale does not get put with your renderings! you put it at the back of your log book, slipped in, but make sure its not going to fall out. paperclip it or something.
someone asked about prelims, my teacher told me its good to have a display book of all the characters, minus your main renderings, to display to the markers your vision for the play...
also thanks to whoever posted the basic structure thing... thanks heaps!!!
if you were looking at designs on the internet, i assume on board of studies, then its probably best not to stick with those directly... the syllabus has changed since then, it used to be that you write 300 words for each character, but now its an overall rationale.
stick to your criteria!
GOOD LUCK!

Nom Cupcakes...!
HSC
But thats's for performance. The Syllabus on the board of studies site says:

"In the submitted Individual Projects, the rationale should be a separate item (ie not in the logbook). For Individual Project Performance, the rationale must be on the final page of the logbook."

Hmm, i dunno... Do we even had our log-book in? coz there's some stuff in there I want the markers to see..lol

Do the Prelims have to be at least 30cm in height too? Or can they just be A4? coz it doesn't actually state in the criteria...

You guys are helpful. lol

emaitland

HSC
Hey,
i did summer rain for my costume design IP, I just stuck my rationale in the back of my logbook which is A3 size, also my prelim drawings are at the end of my logbook. ahh im soo exited its due 2moro.

emaitland

HSC
oh yea and your logbook gets sent in to be marked with the costume designs

Micka

HSC
emaitland said:
oh yea and your logbook gets sent in to be marked with the costume designs
I hope by that you mean the designs are marked, and you send your logbook. They DO NOT give your logbook a mark - they use it to see your process and how you got to your final piece.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)