costume desiiigggnnn (1 Viewer)

bloomers

HSC
hey guys-

i noticed that not many people have been posting much about costume design so i thought id start a thread
HOW ARE YOU GUYS GOING?
im doing "visions" as my text and i feel like im coming along slowly.. i know i will have it finished in time for august but you will not believe how much pressure is being put on my class by our teacher - on monday we have to hand them in for a progress mark with the expectation that at least 3/4 of the finished product is complete.

i am nowhere near that stage- i have THREE major works all up and assessments constantly and so have not really dedicated my life to my ip yet. although i think ive done a lot of substantial work already.. almost filled a journal, practice sketches and a really comprehensive and detailed directorial concept.

so are you guys in the same boat? i think i might die. im going to be in SO MUCH TROUBLE on monday.

The Freshmaker

HSC
Yeah, i'm doing costume design too - but for Everyman. I've finished all but one of my designs and am now trying to work on getting them mounted properly.

However, i'm utterly screwed for the written stuff we have to do. What do we write on the finished, mounted costume design...i've looked at past costume desgins and they usualy have something written on them. Is it just a bullshit explanation of why they chose certain fabrics colours etc? Or is it a character analysis?

I haven't done my directorial concept nor my rationale and i've no idea what to do for them. -le sigh-

And don't worry, i've got three major works too. A friend of mine has four.

bloomers

HSC
wow thank goodness theres another one of me!

thats really impressive. I havent drawn my renderings but i pretty much know all that im doing and yeah. my concept for my play (visions) is reeally detailed and complex and freaks me out, in that i dont know if my change of context and such works.

but im too much of an ambitious freak to simply do realistic costumes.

are yours realistic and such? i couldnt find Everyman anywhere so i dont even know what its about.

with the writing things, i believe everyone does something different. i guess the most common ive seen is some sort of quote that describes the character, with a kindof combined brief character analysis linking to the structure, textures and fabrics of the design. y'know?

The Freshmaker

HSC
I just whipped mine up on photoshop, so it's all good. xD

And yeah, i only did Everyman because the teacher told me it'd be good for my style...it's a medieval morality play and given that the characters are not real people but attributes of the main character they're a /little/ hard to design for!

And no, i'm not doing my realistic. Hell no! Well...actualy that depends on what you consider 'realistic' to be. My costumes don't have like....neon signs on them or what not. They could be worn, but they're definatley theatrical.

And zomg. I'm the only person doing costume design in my year, i'm on a bit of a trial and error approch to things. So what do you /put/ in a directorial concept? Is it, for example, why you chose to change the era and chose that fabric etc?

jcaple

HSC
im doin costume design too and im the only one in my grade...im doin it for shakespeare's as you like it.

ive sorta got designs done, but im screwed for the theory part...what do we actually have to put in the rationale? coz i need to start it but i dono where to start.

my schools being gay and giving us an internal assessment for ips in the last week of this term (on the 21st june) and ive gotta have it completely done! i havent even done final sketches or figured out what materials im using.

and to top it all off ive got my art major work that im way behind on! anyone else feel like they cant possible get their stuff done in time?

i dont understand how u can manage with 3 major works! i would have given up by now lol

bloomers

HSC
haha well really youd have the same as me. i count GP as a major work too, and paired with textiles that makes three majors.

no fun

but yeah, was talking to my drama teacher today about rationales and she was saying they are more like a directorial concept. like a vague way of describing how you would produce your play, not specifically about your costume design but all elements. y'know?

jcaple, my school must be gay like yours because we are doing the exact same thing. its pretty much nuts ey? plus my textiles is supposed to be done by then also so.. good luck to me haha

jazzmuzik

HSC
Hey Guys,
I'm doing costume design for The Ham Funeral. Atm my diary's coming along fine and now i'm not sure what to do... start renderings? (I could..) Or add more justification crap? (which i probably dont have enough off yet) I really like my play and I also quite happy with my designs. Its all coming along slowly but surely.
My subjects are below... as you can see i have a major work for art, drama, (+group if you count that), performances for music, (+ jap speaking and ext. assessment worth 40%) so major works are pretty much running my course. which is fine with me cause i suck at exams :)
Greetings to all you other costume deisgn ppl out there :)

Gummy_bear

HSC
Hello all,
First let me apologise to those of you who have emailed me about costume design. Unfortunately, I don’t check BOS anymore, nor do I check my emails.

I want to give you some information about costume design.
Firstly, what is it that you need on your renderings?Obviously, you need the drawn design.
You also need:
Fabric samples of each fabric you used.
The characters name, the scene/act in which they appear and what play they are from.
I also added a little but of information about my design of each character.

For Olivia:
Olivia is in mourning for her brother’s death, in order to convey this; colours such as dark royal blue and maroon have been used. The blue is representative of her mourning and the maroon of her royalty and sophistication.
The fabric of Olivia’s veil appears ‘broken’ to symbolise her sorrow. The veil is simply draped over her head to allow easy removal when revealing her face during the scene. The gold trim represents her social status and sophistication.
Overall, her dress of a simplified version of traditional Elizabethan dress to allow easy movement and so the costume doesn’t take away from the character.

You rational:
Mine was too long. Over the 500 word limit. I do not recommend that you do the same. Keep it short and to the point.

My structure was this:
A brief summary of the play and its symbolism
Eg: 12th night by William Shakespeare is a play that deals with the uncertainty of gender, the folly of ambition and love and a cause of suffering. The characters seem to see love as a kind of curse; various characters claim to suffer horribly from being in love. Shakespeare explores and illustrates the emotion of love with precise detail. Throughout his play, Shakespeare explores three types of love: true love, self love, and friendship.

An overview of your design:
Eg: my costume designs combine colour and style to illustrate this theme of love and are influenced by a simplified version of traditional Elizabethan style clothing.

Then, follow with a brief look at each characters costumes:
Eg: when designing Violas costume for the shipwreck scene, I have used 2 layers of fabric to ad depth to her character and the green colouring is used to link her to the sea, of which she believes has engulfed her brother. The dress is torn to demonstrate the hardship she has felt, not only from the shipwreck, but also through her belief that she has lost her brother. This design is a stark contrast to that of her dress as a male, which represents her ability to move on and find hope in another desperate situation.

Lastly. A small conclusion:
Eg: Shakespeare play, although a comedy proves that love is exclusionary; some achieve romantic happiness while others do not. I have used colour and style to represent the theme of love in Shakespeare’s 12th night and also to display each characters personality and relationship with the world and each other.

In terms of what it should look like. Rather than post images here, I will post a link to my website. There I will post pictures of my costume designs.
The link is: www.digital-dandelion.deviantart.com
that is not my main account, but on the page you will see a link to it if you have any other questions.
I dont check here very much, but I will try to a bit more in the next few months. Otherwise, make an account on deviantart and talk to me there. You can also post picks of your designs and I can take a look at them.

Etak90

HSC
Im stuck! iv just hit a complete brik walll with ths assignment,
i have most of the prelimiinary drawings done, and like my basc sjketches t=o start for the main renderings. but i am not sure if i have a sting enough design coencpet. can someone give me an example of theirs so i kno wif i am on the right trak?
im doing summer rain and im desiging the costumes for the settting and context given in the play, bt im doing it as like the colour change isn the chharcter costumes symbolises the awakening of the character's inner feelings etc. and it also reflect the Awakening of the landscpae, ( the rain has finally come...)
i reeely ave no idea
plz hlp me!

jazzmuzik

HSC
ok Question Question Question!!

On your final renderings do you only have to include your appropriate quote (and where its from) plus fabric swatches? anything else...something about a little description or not?

i'm so happy I've been doing my final renderings today and they are coming along sweet!

Gummy_bear

HSC
jazzmuzik said:
ok Question Question Question!!

On your final renderings do you only have to include your appropriate quote (and where its from) plus fabric swatches? anything else...something about a little description or not?

i'm so happy I've been doing my final renderings today and they are coming along sweet!
I had a small description of the costume and why I made it the way it is.
EG: For Olivia:
Olivia is in mourning for her brother’s death, in order to convey this; colours such as dark royal blue and maroon have been used. The blue is representative of her mourning and the maroon of her royalty and sophistication.
The fabric of Olivia’s veil appears ‘broken’ to symbolise her sorrow. The veil is simply draped over her head to allow easy removal when revealing her face during the scene. The gold trim represents her social status and sophistication.
Overall, her dress of a simplified version of traditional Elizabethan dress to allow easy movement and so the costume doesn’t take away from the character.

sarina-jean

HSC
hey.
im doing my designs on Myth Propaganda and Disaster in Nazi germany, and Contemporary America... a bit of a mouthful.

im freaking out because my teach has had my log book for about three weeks straight! not happy.

but i cant wait till i send it away, i wont have to worry about it again.
then its down to my group. fun.

Etak90

HSC
:) yay i have no finished my final renderings. am now just doing some mroe preliminary drawings, to fulfill the requirements. i need to finish mounting them tho... and they r due tomoro for a prgorss mark :p
finally our group piece is coming along to we are neerly finished

Etak90

HSC
:) yay i have no finished my final renderings. am now just doing some mroe preliminary drawings, to fulfill the requirements. i need to finish mounting them tho... and they r due tomoro for a prgorss mark :p
finally our group piece is coming along to we are neerly finished

sarina-jean

HSC
its due in three weeks.
my renderings are near to complete...
im a classic example of appropriate failure.
oh well.
i loathe drama.
i picked it in year ten, and then got stuck with it.

ah well. thats the way of the world, i guess.
the world= a bitch.

xx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)