Could I have some maths assistance please? (1 Viewer)

jmk123

HSC
Hi guys,
My teacher gave our class a big booklet of mixed homework questions to help us prepare for our exams, I am finding some difficult questions for me:
1. Solve z^2+4z-1+12i.

2. The region R of the argand diagram consists of the set of al values of z such that both 0 less than Re(z^2) less than 3 and 0 less than Im(z^2) less than 4 hold true. Draw a sketch of the ragion R, showing coordinates of vertices.

3. binomial expansion of (z-1/z)^5 for which I got z^5+5z^3+10z+10/z+5/z^3+1/z^5 which Im fairly sure is right, then it says express sin^5theta in the form asin5theta+bsin3theta+csintheta, and bit after that says hence solve 16sin^5theta=sin5theta, which im not sure how to do.
I know u use demoivres thing but I just cant algebraically fet the asin5theta.... thing, I keep stuffing up.

4.prove for any polynomial P(x), if alpha is zero of multiplicity 2, then alpha is also a zero of p'(x)

Iirc then u go y=(x-alpha)^2Q(x)+R(x),
then p'(x)=2(x-alpha)Q(x)+R'(x) or something, but yea im sure thats wrong, I remember doing a question like this before but forgot what im missing.And finally it says "Hence facorise polynomial P(x)=x^6-7x^4+8x^2+16.

5. When monic cubic polynomial divided by x^2+x+1, remainder=2x+3, when polynomial divided by x(x+3), remainder 5(x+1), find the polynomial.

6. P and Q two points on ellipse x^2/9+y^2/4=1, parameters theta and theta+pi/2 respectively, find coordinates of point of intersection T of the tangents to the ellipse at points P and Q"
I got x coord. as being (6costh-6sinth)/2, is that right?

Last edited:

Makematics

HSC
the first one doesnt make sense i think :/ should it be solve z^2 .... =0?
have you tried quadratic formula?

Last edited:

jmk123

HSC
the first one doesnt make sense i think :/ should it be solve z^2 .... =0?
have you tried quadratic formula?
HAHAH god I cant believe I forgot about that hahaha :') thanks for reminding me! :p

Btw ive encountered a further question, "Sketch xy=4, marking clearly positions and coordinates of all points at which the hyperbola intersects the axes of symmetry". Is that just the symmetry in y=x? cos then the point + or - (2,2) lies on y=x so does that satisfy this question? or is there another axis of symmetry i dont know about?

jmk123

HSC
Noone is helping... I thought people always did maths on here.... o_O

THE-ROCK

HSC
N/A
Noone is helping... I thought people always did maths on here.... o_O
You think The Rock was just going to walk in and do your homework?

Post your working and you'll get some feedback.

jmk123

HSC
You think The Rock was just going to walk in and do your homework?

Post your working and you'll get some feedback.
Well I wrote out what I thought I had to do. Ive scribbled tonnes of working, no way I can put it all onto computer.
Ive just outlined what I think has to be done, and in some cases I have no idea what to do.

Makematics

HSC
Q2 is easy, what dont you understand? Just let z=x+iy and proceed.
0< x^2 < 3
-sqrt3 < x < sqrt 3

0 < y^2 < 4
-2 < y < 2

Then just sketch it as you normally would do for a cartesian plane i guess.
i think this is right, not entirely sure, my complex numbers are getting a bit rusty.

jmk123

HSC
Q2 is easy, what dont you understand? Just let z=x+iy and proceed.
0< x^2 < 3
-sqrt3 < x < sqrt 3

0 < y^2 < 4
-2 < y < 2

Then just sketch it as you normally would do for a cartesian plane i guess.
i think this is right, not entirely sure, my complex numbers are getting a bit rusty.
same with me haha. Thats why im asking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)