• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Could I still obtain a high ATAR of 97+? (2 Viewers)

jakebella

HSC
Hi,

So I've just completed my first set of HSC exams. I did not do as well as initially planned.
Physics - 75%
Chemistry - 80%
Adv. English - 87%
3U Mths - 63%
4U Mths - 50%
Economics - 63%

My school is ranked within the top 30 schools of the state.

Is it still possible to obtain such an ATAR. I'm seriously freaking out at this moment, despite being so early on.
I'm willing to work hard and am still motivated. I know I can do significantly better.

All of these marks of obviously going to significantly destroy my rank, which is why I'm so worried.
Rank, as we all know is important (with the whole internal/external marks, etc. etc.).

michaeljennings

HSC
Theres always room to improve. Just put in the effort from now til the HSC and itll be worth it. Dont worry too much about your results because they are in the past now and theres nothing you can do to change them. You can only aim to do the best you possibly can for your coming exams. Those marks are all relative anyway, what really matters in your rank. For example 50% in 4u maths might seem awful but the mark doesnt matter, what matters is your rank. So do you know what your ranks are?

Last edited:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Don't worry. Even though you may have messed up this first assessment, you have many more to go.

In fact, I think it's actually a GOOD thing that you screwed this up. Why?

Because now you know where you are currently at. Now you have motivation to study harder. Now, you will not mess up another assessment if you really are that determined.

Also compared to everything else, the first assessment task is negligible.

I messed up my very first Extension 2 exam and got a pretty shoddy rank. I worked harder from then on and by the end of the year, I was first.

deswa1

HSC
Also, i'm assuming that the first set of assessments is only lightly weighted compared to everything else. At my school, our first 3U test (haven't done a 4U test yet) was only 10% so even if you got 60%, you'd only be a max of 4% behind the top guy. Just do your best in your upcoming assessments and you'll make it back :)

EDIT: Carrotsticks pretty much said what I just said...

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
Just make sure you try harder as the year goes on. I went from 2nd in 4u after the first exam to 18th at the end because I didn't try.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Just make sure you try harder as the year goes on. I went from 2nd in 4u after the first exam to 18th at the end because I didn't try.
Oh and this dude was in my year. He will vouch for me if you don't think I'm legit.

Were you really second in that test lol.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Those marks have no bearing on your ATAR - it really depends on your ranks with those marks.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
Ranks and gaps man. Depends on that.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi,

So I've just completed my first set of HSC exams. I did not do as well as initially planned.
Physics - 75%
Chemistry - 80%
Adv. English - 87%
3U Mths - 63%
4U Mths - 50%
Economics - 63%

Is it still possible to obtain such an ATAR. I'm seriously freaking out at this moment, despite being so early on.
I'm willing to work hard and am still motivated. I know I can do significantly better.

All of these marks of obviously going to significantly destroy my rank, which is why I'm so worried.
Rank, as we all know is important (with the whole internal/external marks, etc. etc.).
Don't stress out. You're still on your first round of assesments which is not to bad, just make sure you try to improve now onwards and aim to kill your next round of examinations. Also try get the highest internal rank as possible.

For Ancient I failed my first round getting 60% and was ranked around 8th in my cohort, I just beasted my exams also did my best to get the best internl rank and by hsc ended up getting 97 (first externally) in a school ranked in the 200's. Internally I was around 2nd-3rd.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Hi,

Physics - 75%
Chemistry - 80%
Adv. English - 87%
3U Mths - 63%
4U Mths - 50%
Economics - 63%

jakebella - the HSC is a yearlong journey - your ATAR is not contingent upon your first set of exams.

Plus, your marks aren't as bad as they may seem to be. I know for my first 4U exam, I got 66%, but I eventually got 97 for 4U Maths, and a 99+ ATAR. There is a long way to go - and since you have the confidence and determination to do better in future, you will!

Good luck, and all the best.

enoilgam

HSC
jakebella - the HSC is a yearlong journey - your ATAR is not contingent upon your first set of exams.

Plus, your marks aren't as bad as they may seem to be. I know for my first 4U exam, I got 66%, but I eventually got 97 for 4U Maths, and a 99+ ATAR. There is a long way to go - and since you have the confidence and determination to do better in future, you will!

Good luck, and all the best.
Very true, there is a long way to go, things often change heaps from the first set of exams.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes the trials especially are the deciders. Take me for example, I slacked off majorly for Yr 11 yearlies and slid ranks in every subject (bar the one I did best in) from half yearly report.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)