Counter-Strike (1 Viewer)

pinkelephant

HSC
N/A
I know that there are about a thousand threads with this topic, but I'm starting a new one, because I want up-to-date info.

I want to get into Counter strike, but don't know where to start. I know that I have to download some "steam" thing, but have no idea what that is, and how to get it running - so any information about it will help me, and be absolutely great

Thanks

Collin

HSC
N/A
When you purchase Half Life 2, you get Half Life 2, Counter Strike: Source (CounterStrike's sequel, rendered in the Half Life 2's graphics engine 'Source') and Half Life: Source (original Half Life in the Source engine). Along with this, you get Steam in the box. Basically you need Steam to play CounterStrike, but it's all included in the package. The fundamental premise of Steam basically just to ensure your copy isn't pirated, and to verify this Steam needs access to the internet. In other words, everytime you play Half Life 2, you basically need access to the internet.

So where to start? Buy the game, play through the Half Life 2's singleplayer campaign (a beautiful experience), and then jump onto CounterStrike: Source.

HSC
If you want to play CS and not CS:S just pick up half life for like $20 (i guess that'd be the price by now).

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
cs source is the best.
buy it an play it

Luke_D

HSC
Good 'ol CS 1.3 :D

But yeah, like JKDDragon said, go out and buy HL2. Everything you need to get started is included in the package. Once it's installed, open up CS: Source and click 'find server' and play on a few servers and get a bit better. If your ISP is Telstra, jump onto Game Arena once you've got the hang of it.

pinkelephant

HSC
N/A
Thanks guys!

JKDDragon, does that mean that to play the single player campaign, i'd need the internet every time? coz that's kinda stupid.

Enoch

ur a closet enoch-sexual!
HSC
^
no1 plays single player unless ur REALLLY bored...i dont think u need steam to play single player tho..not sure..never tried. but yeah play multiplayer its where the action is at.

Jayphen

super disco breakin'
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
For a while at Harvey Norman in Penrith they had HL:2 for $19.95 because they must have ordered too many in. It was awesome.
!

They haven't even started selling it at the Electronics Boutique at Castle Towers :S

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
pinkelephant said:
I know that there are about a thousand threads with this topic, but I'm starting a new one, because I want up-to-date info.

I want to get into Counter strike, but don't know where to start. I know that I have to download some "steam" thing, but have no idea what that is, and how to get it running - so any information about it will help me, and be absolutely great

Thanks

Follow instruction manual that coems with CS:S.

but a tip. Don't go on the net and start playing right away. Cuz u'll get pwnd[personal experience :eek:]. the best thing to do is to play against bots offline. Play 1 vs 15 bots. they should use only knives, of course:D. It helps. then start playing them with guns and .............then go noline and get pwnd. U can't avoid it. U have to live through some taugh times

:D

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
pinkelephant said:
Thanks guys!

JKDDragon, does that mean that to play the single player campaign, i'd need the internet every time? coz that's kinda stupid.

u can start it offline. no internet required.

Enoch

ur a closet enoch-sexual!
HSC
LoneShadow said:
Follow instruction manual that coems with CS:S.

but a tip. Don't go on the net and start playing right away. Cuz u'll get pwnd[personal experience :eek:]. the best thing to do is to play against bots offline. Play 1 vs 15 bots. they should use only knives, of course:D. It helps. then start playing them with guns and .............then go noline and get pwnd. U can't avoid it. U have to live through some taugh times

:D
doubt ne1s that noob..i think wen i started i was noob but not like cant-shot-for-shit noob...like u sorta genearlly progress from playing previous 1stp shooter games like dukenukem/doom/quake..though they dun require accuracy which makes u a noob..but at least ud noe how to shoot..i think allota ppl would be in that same boat whten they just started playing CS.

my advice would be to just play online..ppl wont care how bad ur doing...i usually dont notice how bad the noobs are going.

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
Enoch said:
doubt ne1s that noob..i think wen i started i was noob but not like cant-shot-for-shit noob...like u sorta genearlly progress from playing previous 1stp shooter games like dukenukem/doom/quake..though they dun require accuracy which makes u a noob..but at least ud noe how to shoot..i think allota ppl would be in that same boat whten they just started playing CS.

my advice would be to just play online..ppl wont care how bad ur doing...i usually dont notice how bad the noobs are going.

I was talking about personal experience. I was noobly noob. besides...cs is alot different to most fps games.

and about that thing about noobs. It's them who feel the pain. For me...I think they are a waste of bullets. :D....just kidding!

[sometimes it's so much fun slaying a group of noobs who just line up to be killed one by one]

Collin

HSC
N/A
Enoch said:
^
no1 plays single player unless ur REALLLY bored...i dont think u need steam to play single player tho..not sure..never tried. but yeah play multiplayer its where the action is at.
What the hell are you talking about? No one plays HL2 single player unless they're bored? You're fucking kidding me.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
Yeah the biggest difference in cs compared to other FPS is that it's a lot easier to shoot through walls/objects. Staying behind wooden boxes wont protect you much once they know you're there.

n2o_lonewolf74

HSC
LoneShadow said:
u can start it offline. no internet required.
you need an internet connection to register your username & password and also to decrypt your version of cs:s & hl2

plus, you have to d/l all the latest updates for the games u have registered on steam

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
n2o_lonewolf74 said:
you need an internet connection to register your username & password and also to decrypt your version of cs:s & hl2

plus, you have to d/l all the latest updates for the games u have registered on steam
LOL

I never said u could register, update or "decrypt" offline. All I said was that if u have done all that and want to play the single player offline. u can. end of story.

pinkelephant

HSC
N/A
LoneShadow said:
LOL

I never said u could register, update or "decrypt" offline. All I said was that if u have done all that and want to play the single player offline. u can. end of story.
hehehe, super lol

I got what you all meant... you don't need internet to play the normal game, but if you wanna play online you do need internet (way to state the obvious tam, duh! :rolleyes: )...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)