course cut-offs for diff unis (1 Viewer)

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
Personally, i think that students tend to flock to unis with the better courses. This may seem illogical but since UWS has lower cut-offs, their courses aren't as good.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Originally posted by deyveed
Personally, i think that students tend to flock to unis with the better courses. This may seem illogical but since UWS has lower cut-offs, their courses aren't as good.
tha'ts not necessarily true for specific cases, but yes, in general, you're probably right

but when u choose a uni course there's tons of things that you need to consider, eg if you're a single mum returning to uni but still need to work part-time, then you'd go to UTS. you ca'nt get flexible timing at unsw or usyd.

that was just a random example.

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
Originally posted by Generator
'Even though B Physiotherapy is a USyd course, it seems weird that its taught in Lidcombe'

The Cumberland campus is where all the health science courses are taught.

Where is Cumberland?
I know where Cumberland Highway is but thats no where near lidcombe.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by enak
The University of Western Australia (UWA)
NOT
The University of Western Sydney (UWS)

:p
But just imagine it - UWS in the top 8... ah, it's too hard. :p :D

Generator

HSC
N/A
The Cumberland campus is at Lidcombe...

The area of Western Sydney (the entire area) was once known as the Cumberland plains.

James Dean

The oldest join date here
HSC
N/A
lol

I think UWS does deserve to be in the top 8 universities of australia :D

James Dean

The oldest join date here
HSC
N/A
Anyway, i personally think that what motivates people most about the unis they choose is the prestige. i mean, saying "i go to sydney uni or unsw to other people such as relatives, friends and especially chics does sound far more impressive than "i go to the university of western sydney at campeltown." and does do a lot to boost your ego.
Again no offense to uws people so dont flame me.
Plus we've all heard over and over again that sydney and unsw are the best unis so its little suprise that it only makes sense that people want to go to the best unis.

Last edited:

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
Thought I'd offer a pro UWS viewpoint here
A lot of the UWS courses are better than courses in the GO8 unis, because it's more practical based, while the more traditional unis may be based more on theory. UWS courses are not bad, as mentioned before, it's a demand thing.

I get the impression that there are lecturers who teach at two different unis, more money I guess. The big unis also have more old and distinguished professors, doctors, lecturers etc, who have published widely in their field etc. Ok generalising here, but sometimes they can get really boring, and they might be less inclined to change the way they teach because they;ve been doing it for so many years.

I think UWS receives less funding from the Government, because it's more teaching based and not research. Or maybe that's just if the new reforms go through. Either way, the older unis might have rich alumni who leave large lumps of money to the uni.

Location affects demand, perhaps this is a snobbery thing. Non Westies like to think that the West is unsafe, that crime rates escalates and that primary school kids deal drugs in the West. In reality, it's quite a safe place, people often just generalise the west based on a few snippets of "War on Crime" media reports.

UWS is less reputable than the major unis, that also affects demand. There is still the "damn I'm at UWS" sentiment. Reputation comes from time, graduates, money, research and sandstone buildings.

Graduates from UWS are generally more satisfied at the end of their degree than at big unis.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
i couldn't have said it better myself user !

you're so right. actaully, UTS really belongs to the practical-based teaching method than the research-based (in general).

although i would say it depends on the course. if you're interested in a career which involves a lot of research, then obviously usyd and unsw would be great.

but if you're doing more practical things- like design, fine arts, mechanics, i dunno.. you know like practical stuff, then yes you would go to these practice-based unis.

i think the thing is, with UWS (and lots of other unis which aren't the 'top 4' of sydney) is that they offer courses which uts/usyd/unsw/macq don't offer. and they also offer things like comerce and business for people who are interested in that career but don't have the uai mark to get into the bigger unis

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
I read in another thread that UWS lacks funding so they got 2nd yr students to lecture. I don't know if its true but i doubt it.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Originally posted by deyveed
I read in another thread that UWS lacks funding so they got 2nd yr students to lecture. I don't know if its true but i doubt it.
oh woah ... i realy doubt that is true ... possibly really exceptionally good students to tutor, but i doubt to lecture ...

Generator

HSC
N/A
Honours year students, which is what happens at all unis at times, and it's only ever for first year units.

Kittycat

HSC
Originally posted by James Dean
Anyway, i personally think that what motivates people most about the unis they choose is the prestige. i mean, saying "i go to sydney uni or unsw to other people such as relatives, friends and especially chics does sound far more impressive than "i go to the university of western sydney at campeltown." and does do a lot to boost your ego.
Again no offense to uws people so dont flame me.
Plus we've all heard over and over again that sydney and unsw are the best unis so its little suprise that it only makes sense that people want to go to the best unis.
I totally agree with you. My aunts and uncles (not to mention my parents) are telling to go to UNSW or USYD because they are prestige. They do sound more impression to many people and yes, if I get in, it will boost my ego a bit but I don't mind going to UWS, as a matter of fact, I think UWS is rather good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)