Course Pack Query (1 Viewer)

MilkDrinker

HSC
Hi Everyone :D
I am a first year doing engineering at UNSW this year.
My subjects for the first semester are:
ENGG1000
MATH1141
PHYS1131
BABS1201

My question is what does the Course Pack sold in the bookshop actually contain? Are all of these items available on Moodle (i.e. if I choose to print it all out then will I be missing items in the Course Pack)? Is there any extra info I need to know about these Course Packs?

Thanks!

Edit:
Hi All,
Changing this post to address this semester's subjects,
Wondering what resources (course packs or textbooks) are suitable for:
MATH1231
MMAN1300
BIOM1010
COMP1917

Hoping someone can help out... again :D
Thanks

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
oh good MATH1141

The course pack contains the course notes, like a textbook, and within them, the tutorial questions and past class exams. Along with computing notes and a course outline.

Only the course outline and maybe the computing notes are available for free on Moodle.

You should get one.

D94

HSC
N/A
The tutorial problems will also be available on Moodle/Blackboard for MATH1141. Pretty much the past papers and course notes won't be available, but you will have lecture notes available as well.

You won't need anything for ENGG1000 (well for most streams).

For PHYS1131, the course pack is just the lab manual (at the Bookshop), but you then go to the Physics Lab to pickup the homework sets. However, all the notes, tutorials etc. and even the lab manual will be available on Moodle/Blackboard. The lab manual contains the labs for PHYS1121/31 and PHYS1221/1231 (and maybe it's the same for PHYS1241) so if you are doing both Physics courses, you should definitely purchase the lab manual. You can print it out, and it can be cheaper, but obviously less convenient - most students just purchase the lab manual even though they won't need half of it. Past papers for PHYS can be found here: http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/firstyear/exams/exam_papers.html

MilkDrinker

HSC
Ok,
Thanks for that guys,
I might buy the maths course pack...
I am only doing PHYS 1131 not 1241 so i'll just print physics out.
Thanks for the link BTW.

Any one else know about BABS?
Thanks

D94

HSC
N/A
Ok,
Thanks for that guys,
I might buy the maths course pack...
I am only doing PHYS 1131 not 1241 so i'll just print physics out.
Thanks for the link BTW.

Any one else know about BABS?
Thanks
I highly recommend purchasing the MATH course pack, since it has useful course notes and it's all conveniently structured. If you do decide to print out the Physics lab manual, you have to get it binded.

(NB: when I did PHYS, I printed it out because we had that option, but IDK if they still allow you to - if you are able to see the lab manual on Moodle/Blackboard, then you will be allowed to print it out for the labs).

MilkDrinker

HSC
Yup, I will definitely buy the Maths course pack on Monday,

I am not sure about binding physics since on the website it doesn't mention it and only says:
"Course pack, lab book, homework book. Either download and print from the course Moodle site, or else: Buy the lab notes from the bookshop. Then take your lab book to the First Year Lab, show them the lab notes and they will give you a homework book."
I will just print it then stick it in a folder, no problem... I hope :D

Any one else have info on BABS?
Thanks

D94

HSC
N/A
When I did Physics, the lab demonstrators told us that we must have it binded.

(Maybe make a new thread with BABS in the title so those who did BABS, assuming there's someone here, will see instead of skipping this thread)

MilkDrinker

HSC
Sorry,
I have one more question.
Are we expected to have done anything for the first lesson?
E.g. are we supposed to have done any questions from the booklet, or to have read anything?
Thanks

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
No, it's like first day of school - intro the course and whatnot.

D94

HSC
N/A
MATH1231 - bookshop course pack (similar to MATH1131/41)
MMAN1300 - should be using the Meriam & Kraige (statics and dynamics) textbooks, and it is a decent investment which comes in handy in later years. It's expensive though, so if you can obtain a second hand copy, or maybe a digital copy then that would be cost effective.
COMP1917 - probably won't need to buy anything since you can find help online.

kurst

HSC
Uni Grad
biom1010 doesnt have a course pack, the prescribed textbook is a physiology colouring in book which is pretty fun but you dont really need it. if you get it then you'd probably just be reading the text because colouring in the pictures is time consuming. it is pretty helpful though and not too expensive

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
biom1010 doesnt have a course pack, the prescribed textbook is a physiology colouring in book which is pretty fun but you dont really need it. if you get it then you'd probably just be reading the text because colouring in the pictures is time consuming. it is pretty helpful though and not too expensive
w0t

If it has reading material then its not just a colouring in book for a 4 yo now is it?

I have no idea about it myself but surely it can't be just a colouring in book.

kurst

HSC
Uni Grad
w0t

If it has reading material then its not just a colouring in book for a 4 yo now is it?

I have no idea about it myself but surely it can't be just a colouring in book.
well it's called 'the physiology colouring book' but yeah it has lots of text - each part takes up 2 pages, the left page is all text and the right page is diagrams to colour in. they encourage you to colour it in to help you remember stuff. personally i used wind up crayons for it as they gave a richer colour than the cheap pencils i had, but i suggest investing in decent pencils and a sharpener since the diagrams are very detailed and crayons make it hard to colour in between the lines :(

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
well it's called 'the physiology colouring book' but yeah it has lots of text - each part takes up 2 pages, the left page is all text and the right page is diagrams to colour in. they encourage you to colour it in to help you remember stuff. personally i used wind up crayons for it as they gave a richer colour than the cheap pencils i had, but i suggest investing in decent pencils and a sharpener since the diagrams are very detailed and crayons make it hard to colour in between the lines :(
I can't imagine doing that even though it actually seems like a smart idea to remember stuff.

Like I can't imagine colouring in a circuit on a page lol. I can imagine doing questions but not colouring in....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)