COVID-19 and school closures (1 Viewer)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Some schools still appear to have a reasonable proportion of students.

Interesting.

Time&moretime

HSC
I think NSW government will be watching Victoria closely before deciding if schools should be shut down. NESA might give individual schools more power to use their discretion around internal assessments. There might be more students applying for EAS through UAC when April comes around to apply for undergraduate courses. This would be a concern because if you make considerations for everyone then there will be people missing out. Future generations will mark this period of time as a turning point in our history where our way of life will change.

lolzdj

HSC
You would think that most schools have done about one or two assessment tasks by now? So perhaps it would be based on these in a worst case scenario. Given the government is predicting to hold onto these restrictions for around 6 months, I reckon the most likely outcome is that it would be safe to hold HSC exams by October/November but internal assessments in the meantime would need to be conducted in some online format or not conducted at all.
Most schools were actually approaching the second assessment task phase. They've been postponed for the most part (or changed to hand-in).

HSC
Most schools were actually approaching the second assessment task phase. They've been postponed for the most part (or changed to hand-in).
Yep, I've done 4 of my assessment tasks already but the other 2 are postponed or changed to hand in. My friends in other subjects said that their tasks are done online where the questions are given at 9am and due later in the day at like 3 or 5, which is an interesting way to approach it but I think that just means everyone will collaborate and do really well lol

Potato Sticks

HSC
Yep, I've done 4 of my assessment tasks already but the other 2 are postponed or changed to hand in. My friends in other subjects said that their tasks are done online where the questions are given at 9am and due later in the day at like 3 or 5, which is an interesting way to approach it but I think that just means everyone will collaborate and do really well lol
Yes, exams cannot be fairly converted to assignments on a limited timeframes. You would imagine that many are able to source help from subject experts, thereby artificially advantaging them against peers that do/can not choose such an option. A better option would be to weigh previous tasks more, if future exams cannot be coordinated.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
"Queensland schools will be “student-free” from Monday but remain open for children of workers, whether they are supermarket shelf-stackers or healthcare workers, Queensland Premier Annastasia Palaszczuk has announced"

Source:

catha230

HSC
Hi all, hope you have all been well. I wonder if school is still optional next term? What I mean by optional is you don't have to go to school unless you don't have anyone at home to supervise you, exactly like what we are doing at the end of this term. Are they going to keep classes online for the entire term of next term or are they gonna make students go back to school like normal again?

B1andB2

HSC
Hi all, hope you have all been well. I wonder if school is still optional next term? What I mean by optional is you don't have to go to school unless you don't have anyone at home to supervise you, exactly like what we are doing at the end of this term. Are they going to keep classes online for the entire term of next term or are they gonna make students go back to school like normal again?
they said that this 'lockdown' will go on until june 29th AT LEAST. so i think, and hope so.

Potato Sticks

HSC
The 2020 HSC exams are likely going ahead as scheduled, confirmed today.

Like anything, this is of course tentative and subject to the Coronavirus situation in 6 months time (even if they don’t admit so). If it is like the current situation or better, obviously it will go head. If more waves of infection hit, exam cancellation is unavoidable. A good way to put this is that they are “covering themselves” whether or not exams go ahead, because cancelling them later would not result in major controversy (while reinstating exams would!).

Obviously, the best strategy always was and will be for students sitting exams this year to prepare for HSC exams occurring, regardless what happens in the end.

Good luck to all in the HSC year, no matter what happens!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)