Craptastic predicted UAI (1 Viewer)

stainmepink

HSC
hey guys

it appears im probably going to get a crappy estimated UAI, probably somewhere in the realms of 90-95. even if i do well in the umat, is there a chance in hell i'll be able to get a 1st round interview? i swear my career advisor is dodgy; she isn't scaling our raw marks. instead she's just plugging our raw marks (from our assessments) into SAM. but either way, i've talked to the head teachers etc, they aren't going to scale us. im pretty sure she is dodgy as last year the other careers advisor gave me an estimate of 98 and i haven't fallen ranks at all.

another question, if i don't get a first round interview, what are my chances of getting a late round interview in january instead? do they give out alot of interviews then? i heard unsw only sends out 100 offers for second round interviews, but that might be a lie.

3rd question, are 1st round offers to medicine given out before we sit the 2006 hsc in october?

joe1016

HSC
wow, i can't believe you think 90-95 is a crappy uai.

u only need to get above 95.55 or sumthing to be considered for medicine at UNSW, the rest goes off UMAT and interview.

where do people come off always complaining about they are gonne go shite and still get a UAI in the 90's?????????
i know plenty off people who would kill for that.

get real, there are always a million ways of getting into university later if you dont get a certain golden UAI.

im sorry for the rant but come on think about what exactly you are complaining about

"im only going to beat 95% of student in the state"

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
1) prolly not.. wait u rural/regional?
2)if u get a good UAI and UMAT.. then good
3)no

heres a suggestion.... melb uni? newcastle? monash? UQ?

joe1016

HSC
ok, now i guess i should give some constructive criticism.....

yeah you should think about newcastle, the cut off is 93 UAI and the medical program is thorough and well respected, thats where im hoping to go, cos its my hometown uni.

if you can pick your marks up to get you a 95 or so you are in the runnings for other places, and for all unis except sydneys combine b sci and bmed the uai is just a cut off, anything over the needed UAI doesnt come into account, they really care about interview and UMAT

mikhaila

HSC
anyone who thinks a UAI of 90+ is shit is on drugs, sure its competitive but get over yourself, if ur serious about medicine u will get there in the end

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
ok 2nd serious response for gobaby (ignore the rest bar alvins concise advice):

Very doubtful that you will receive a first round interview, unless you hammer the umat (providing ur estimate is =>95). 2nd round offers have a lower cut off, so don't write yourself off. Do the best you can in your HSC, you still have a chance (albeit smaller than 1st round, but still the chance exists). Thirdly, no they aren't. They are given out in Jan (iirc).

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
joe1016: ure 2nd post is better advice

mikhaila: then most ppl seem to be on drugs.. so are the admissions officers.. they made the rules.. not the candidates.... yes in time they will make it.. but realistically for next yr ... see my post above

politik: no no no ... a school can and thats the rules of the game... thats how UNSW Medicine have applied them.... some schools do a damn good job.. +/- 0.25

ishq: its not that bleak.. I know ppl with lower UAIs but around 99.. its just UMAT usually..

To All: Its a sick twisted game that we have to play.. we make the best from what we have...
far from giving up.. just find a place that will accept u... if u cant.. do it again next yr.. till u do... this is a chance to open doors not restrict ureself.

Trev

stix
HSC
My friend got a first round interview last year, the school estimated basically everyone who was applying for medicine that they would recieve 95+, but she got 91.10 (from memory, it was definately low 91.xx). She got in, she must of went extremely well in the interview and she definately kicked ass in the UMAT (her percentile average was 94ish).

funnybunny

funniest bunny in th land
HSC
u only need to get above 95.55 or sumthing to be considered for medicine at UNSW, the rest goes off UMAT and interview.
no its not...each has "equal" weighting.

where do people come off always complaining about they are gonne go shite and still get a UAI in the 90's?????????
i know plenty off people who would kill for that.
A UAI of 90s is "shite" if you want to get into medicine undergraduate, especially at UNSW.
instead she's just plugging our raw marks (from our assessments) into SAM.
A lot of schools use this method.. i know it's unfair but what can you do?..besides, you'll eventually get the interview if you ur actual UAI is high enough for the cut-offs.
are 1st round offers to medicine given out before we sit the 2006 hsc in october?
i think u mean interview? ..in that case, yes.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Trev said:
My friend got a first round interview last year, the school estimated basically everyone who was applying for medicine that they would recieve 95+, but she got 91.10 (from memory, it was definately low 91.xx). She got in, she must of went extremely well in the interview and she definately kicked ass in the UMAT (her percentile average was 94ish).
Geez, what uni did she get into? It can't have been Newcastle because their cutoff is 93 and UNSW is 95. Yes, UMAT is what matters since it sounds as though the threadstarter's school can't be relied on. If you kill UMAT and then the interview, you'll get in.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
not true.. rural cohorts.... usually have lower cutoffs as research indicates that they are disadvantaged in certain resources..

atm the lowest cutoff nationally is adelaide.. with a minimum of 90

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
lala2 said:
Geez, what uni did she get into? It can't have been Newcastle because their cutoff is 93 and UNSW is 95. Yes, UMAT is what matters since it sounds as though the threadstarter's school can't be relied on. If you kill UMAT and then the interview, you'll get in.
There's a small point of confusion here - UNcle's minimum UAI is 93 (93.8 I think for some reason), as long as you're there or higher, they don't care what you get. For conventional UNSW entry, you need 95 to be considered and then your UAI (real, not the one your school predicts) is combined equally with UMAT and interview results to rank candidates for the making of offers (which are made at the same time as all other UAC offers, mid Feb). So you need to do well in all 3 to give yourself the best chance, but if you did well in 2 that could compensate for not doing as well in the other.
However, as dexter mentioned, most Med schools have rural entry programs, which usually involve lower UAIs. At UNSW, I think it is in the vicinity of 30-40 places out of 180 local students.

charlenerebecca

HSC
are u crazy?!!! i would kill for a UAI above 80! all i need is a 71 for the course i would like to get into and you're complaining about a 90! i'm guessing you go to a private school or a very large school. seeing as everyone's marks are scaled against others in their centre to find the UAI and people with bad marks can affect other people's UAI's, just as someone with good marks can affect it, think about how people in a position such as mine would fare. my school is tiny and majority of the students here are first class idiots who only haven't left school yet because they don't want a job. their marks will drag mine down and i have been told that it will be near impossible for me and the few other people here who are actually willing to put in the effort to get a UAI above 95. get over yourself and work harder or do a bridging course.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Any UAI is crap if it can't get you into the course you want.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
charlenerebecca said:
are u crazy?!!! i would kill for a UAI above 80! all i need is a 71 for the course i would like to get into and you're complaining about a 90! i'm guessing you go to a private school or a very large school. seeing as everyone's marks are scaled against others in their centre to find the UAI and people with bad marks can affect other people's UAI's, just as someone with good marks can affect it, think about how people in a position such as mine would fare. my school is tiny and majority of the students here are first class idiots who only haven't left school yet because they don't want a job. their marks will drag mine down and i have been told that it will be near impossible for me and the few other people here who are actually willing to put in the effort to get a UAI above 95. get over yourself and work harder or do a bridging course.
Learn to read in context, then make some useful comment.

On a separate note, as long as you are capable, school should not theoretically affect your UAI. If you're coming outright first, then it certainly doesn't matter.

Hurri

HSC
Bad luck with the predicted UAI mate.

But DAMN, i hate people who say "i'd kill got a UAI of 90" or something along those lines. If you are considering medicine, then a UAI of 90 is crap, full stop.

Also, that guy who mentioned 95 to get into unsw, you're wrong, go get a clue before you try to advise people.

So anyways, are you willing to go interstate? UNCLE and Adelaide you'll be able to get into with a 93ish if you do well enough in the UMAT and interview. Also, just because you get a crappy predicted score doesn't mean you will really get it! in that case, it'll only screw you over for an UNSW first round interview. Everything else is pretty much the same.

Last edited:

stainmepink

HSC
some of you guys misunderstand me when i say 90-95 is a crap estimate. its a crap estimate for wanting to do medicine and applying for it; i did not shove my head into the medicine forum to talk about my estimated uai without a reason attached to it. i am not one of the people who attempt to work their anal butts off to get a uai like 50 aggregates above the cut off ok?

I am not getting good information from my careers advisor about medicine, so what better way other than collecting brochures and ringing up unis than to just ask present medicine students? i've had help in the past on these forums. you don't have to pay me out and tell me i won't make a good doctor because you clearly cannot understand the predicament i am in.

Last edited by a moderator:

stainmepink

HSC
politik said:
You don't deserve a Medicine place with that attitude. And make sure you know what you're talking about before you throw your crap on this forum.

1. Your assessment marks are MODERATED, then presented to you as your assessment mark
  2. Your examination mark is not changed
  3. Then they are averaged together to give your HSC MARK
  4. Then UAC scales those marks to generate a UAI

The school cannot predict your HSC mark in any way at all. All they have are your assessment marks, which aren't indicative.
i'm not worried purely because of the estimate, it is what it entails meaning being disadvantaged when it comes to first round interviews. and i do believe i deserve to get into medicine.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
i understand ure predicament
and i acknowledge that ppl are trying to be helpful/kind .. but it feels patronising..

tho just know.. that if u keep ure options open ure not goin to be screwed and u may find it to be better!..

I was drawn into medicine by a Newcastle Med grad .. cos he was one of the best performing interns at the hospital.. he out did the USyd and the UNSW grads to secure an RMO place.. hes now an ED registrar in sydney..

UNSW is not the best .. nor the end all... just get a good real UAI + good UMAT and the 2nd round interview will easily be ures.. otherwise just get in

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)