Crazy biology teacher: Should I drop? HELP!!? (1 Viewer)

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
As the title suggests I'm thinking of dropping Biology because I obviously hate my biology teacher, and a few other reasons. Here are the reasons why:

- Favoritism
She plays 'favorites' over students who performs better well to the extent that I can't take. Not only academically but personally too. She would provide them with more resources, better attitude, more allowances for behaviour (talking, eating in class etc..)

- Contradictory
She would say one thing (during class discussions) but a few moments later she would contradict herself and when a student asks for clarification she would basically just say yea it's one thing but it's that too if that makes any sense. This makes me lose trust and respect for her as a teacher hence I tune out during her lessons and don't really listen to her explanations during class = no learning

- Nosy/general personality
She's a very nosy person who thinks she knows everything and will comment on everything you say even when not needed. When I had problems, with some work and was talking to my friends on the playground, she wanted to contact my parents because she was "concerned" for my stress even though I CLEARLY stated my decision to keep this to myself, she took me to the freaking PRINCIPAL to "have a chat". I'm sure he has more important things than worrying about my personal issues. When I'm talking to my friends and she would butt in and listen and comment to my conversations even though it's something that I just wanted to share with my friends.

-She sucks up real bad to the head teachers and Principal and is basically talk shit about every other teacher in the school. Another sign of lost respect.

- She demands respect from her students even though she doesn't always treat them equally.

- I am almost always late to her class since I live a fair but away from school so I have to wake up real early to get to school on time.

Reasons for keeping Biology:

- Backup for my ATAR since I don't really understand IT
- I was told that it's an "easy" subject
- I already have resources for it i.e books, notes etc...
- Not sure about scaling/aligning etc..

:evilfire::evilfire::evilfire::evilfire::evilfire:

^^^ Sorry about my little rant there. I feel a bit annoyed (actually a lot annoyed) at that particular teacher. I've never had any problems whatsoever with teachers until this one came around last year and started to slowly take over the school.

So... help please? I really need to decide whether to drop before Monday, otherwise I would be chicken out/guilt tripped by people and won't be able to drop again -_-

michaeljennings

HSC
To be honest I didnt read anything except the first line.

You shouldnt drop a subject just because you dont like your teacher. Your school should allow you to swap classes so long as you explain the situation to them. You dont even have to go into detail. A friend of mine didnt want to have a particular teacher for year 12 so he told the head teacher that this particular teacher's 'teaching method' didnt suit him and he was able to swap classes.

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
To be honest I didnt read anything except the first line.

You shouldnt drop a subject just because you dont like your teacher. Your school should allow you to swap classes so long as you explain the situation to them. You dont even have to go into detail. A friend of mine didnt want to have a particular teacher for year 12 so he told the head teacher that this particular teacher's 'teaching method' didnt suit him and he was able to swap classes.
Wow you sure have it easy at your school then. When I even hinted at dropping at Bio earlier on I had the whole freakin science department on me lecturing about why I shouldn't drop -_-

But no, it would never drop simply because I don't like her. But it's to the extent that it's affecting my learning is why I considered dropping. All my studying is essentially done at home since her notes are really confusing...

The reason I posted here is because I want to ask people about the scaling and what not. I was told that unless I do really went in IT, I'm better off putting up with her crap in Bio.

michaeljennings

HSC
Wow you sure have it easy at your school then. When I even hinted at dropping at Bio earlier on I had the whole freakin science department on me lecturing about why I shouldn't drop -_-

But no, it would never drop simply because I don't like her. But it's to the extent that it's affecting my learning is why I considered dropping. All my studying is essentially done at home since her notes are really confusing...

The reason I posted here is because I want to ask people about the scaling and what not. I was told that unless I do really went in IT, I'm better off putting up with her crap in Bio.
To be fair, this particular person gets whatever he wants at my school lol.

So will your school not let you swap classes?

jnney

lemon
HSC
Talk to the head teacher about it. If that doesn't work, go to the principal. What may happen is that they will ask you to write a letter to the school, and then you will be allowed to change classes -i.e. if your subjects aren't clashing with other biology classes.

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
To be fair, this particular person gets whatever he wants at my school lol.

So will your school not let you swap classes?
Talk to the head teacher about it. If that doesn't work, go to the principal. What may happen is that they will ask you to write a letter to the school, and then you will be allowed to change classes -i.e. if your subjects aren't clashing with other biology classes.
For the first time in 5 years there's only 1 biology class -_- She was actually offered to split the class in two but no she wanted ALL the SENIOR classes coz she's so important and everything >_<

It's my last year at the school I don't want to put up with her crap or trouble with my Principal for it. I tried my head teacher but he's too lazy to post a formal complaint to the Principal plus she bribes him with food lol

Alkanes

HSC
Bio is meant to be a self study subject anyways.

Bobbo1

HSC
You should always expect/account for atleast one crappy teacher...it's year 12 we know but that's life. Just get your friends together in the class and do your self study, yep and as Alkanes has mentioned bio should be self explanatory. Good luck

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
This reminds me of one of my teachers that replaced one of my other teachers. Your description fits my current teacher perfectly. Now, I think you can put up with her personality for one year. As for favouritism, show her you care about your HSC and you want to do well. All teachers will respect that.

Uniqueness

HSC
N/A
Yes Spiral she was a replacement of a previous terrific teacher who went into retirement.

So basically you're all saying that I shouldn't drop? Oh btw no one really answered my question about scaling and stuff. Would I need to do really well in IT to get a band 6?

For some reason I don't find Biology as easy as some people say it is. -_-

chels777

HSC
i had a similar situation with my bio teacher especially the part about contradicting themselves anyways i would stick it out because in comparison to your other subjects it is relatively easy especially if you are good at chemistry you may just have to put in extra effort at home thats what i did and it worked for me depends if you think you can do well in it or not and if you can afford to put in extra effort for it

avro

HSC
Get the syllabus and basically teach yourself?

OR, you could possibly get a tutor/another Biology teacher to help you out if you are really struggling. Even if you aren't, second opinions can be invaluable in terms of study or going over assessments. You shouldn't have to drop a subject because the teacher is awful. Make use of free periods if you have them to ask the Science staff questions. Don't drop it, it'll only increase stress levels if IT ends up being counted towards your atar.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Yes Spiral she was a replacement of a previous terrific teacher who went into retirement.

So basically you're all saying that I shouldn't drop? Oh btw no one really answered my question about scaling and stuff. Would I need to do really well in IT to get a band 6?

For some reason I don't find Biology as easy as some people say it is. -_-
Keep until the trials I would say, if you think you can manage it. Take advantage of the summer break. You must pick yourself from the ground and rise and high as the centre point tower. Also, there are alot of Biology resources out there to help you. (Hint hint..PM your favourite robot.)

Beeck

HSC
I had the same trouble with my Modern History teacher I didnt like her teaching style, our personalities clashed however I was able to move out of her class only after a boring coversation with the head of HSIE and having to get my parents to write in a letter saying that they approved of my decision and blah blah blah, however you cant do that. You do however have the option if your school offers it to drop Biology and pick up Seinor Science I have many friends who did that and it was their way of having 12 units to have a fall back and be able to drop a subjet they didnt like for various reasons. Its no to late yet to do this but you will have to do a little catch up. As soon as you can discuss the matter with whoever deals with this stuf at your school and if they refuse there is nothing better that a letter from a parent to convice a teacher to let you do what you want to. Dont go in there and say its because you dont like the teacher because that will make things more difficult for you. If you do this you will have 2 fallback units which in the end does leave you less streswsed when it comes to the final cruntch of the HSC

animerocker

HSC
My teacher is practically the same except he's a male.
Although the teacher is terrible, I'm breezing through it because biology is pretty much a self taught subject. You don't need a teacher except for the experiments but all you have to do to survive is ignore the teacher, write your own notes; read your biology resources beforehand and you're pretty much safe for the HSC

emilyo

apathetic member
HSC
What uni course are you considering? Do you need Bio for uni?

cheepy5

HSC
I had a similar problem with my chem teacher. He played favorites soo much, he couldn't teach, he hated me and was very narrow minded with his methods, which basically lead me to hate the subject and leaving the classroom very angry most times. So i dropped it, best decision i made, especially because i had 13 units with MX2 so now doing 11 units and very happy :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)