creative: what to be when i grow up? (1 Viewer)

jazzmuzik

HSC
I've recently been tossing around ideas of what i want to be when i grow up. :)
For a long time i've wanted to work in theatre, as a costume and set designer. I'm from the country but for many years our family has been involved in the local theatrical society, and also general performing arts in the area.
I would also like to study fine arts, i love art both theory and practical but i cant see myself as an artist alone. (eg showing in a gallery and stuff)...

Some of my personal charcateristics: creative, bossy, organised (and good at organising others), perfectionist, reliable, friendly.

creativity + helping people + travel= ideal job

possible jobs: designer for theatre
designer (textiles)
artist
arts administrator
illustrator
actor
teacher

(i'd also love to work with something like the Bangarra dance company or a youth theatre)

All these ideas interest me but what specific courses would suit these interests?, and where at?, i'm open to hear all suggestions that anyone may have either from experience, or if you have similar interests. :) Thanks!

circusmind

HSC
Go for the whole artsy thing, but you should probably have some backup plans as well. It's hard to make a living without selling out to the man, y'know.

Maybe twin an Arts (theatre/literature/etc) degree with a B Ed?

is a roflcopter
HSC
do arts
and then come to a sad realisation about the job prospects
sell out and do a graduate degree in accounting
and come to an even sadder realisation that you are an accountant
hehe

AppleXY

s00 l33t xD
HSC
Uni Grad
do arts
and then come to a sad realisation about the job prospects
sell out and do a graduate degree in accounting
and come to an even sadder realisation that you are an accountant
hehe
hehe geniune lose:lose situation :p

Last edited:

biggie walls

HSC
travel the world giving creative workshops to troubled/disadvantaged kids

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
An art therapist or something along those lines, it's creativity and helping people.... and its something you could probably do in other countries to :)

poppop

HSC
N/A
I think EMPLOYMENT wise, something from DESIGN @ UTS.

I was in the same dilemma as you but as you can see from my sig, i already set my goal lol :)

Especially Interior Design or Visual Communication. Interior Designer for obvious reasons, they get paid fairly well for doing creative jobs.

Interior Designers are work in architectural/design agencies for designing of new buildings interiors whether its commercial, residential, or hospitality (5 star Hotels etc) related.

Vis Comm wise.. it opens up careers in advertising, film & tv, animation, publishing etc
Art directors get paid so much and training required for that is graphic design/visual communication background :eek:

They sure won't make u end up at as a poor starving artist lol. (perhaps fashion design though, considering how saturated the market is)

After all designers are more of a business profession than visual artists.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)