Creative Writing Cliches (1 Viewer)

lepellillow

HSC
if you write about a cliched topic, i know they mark you down but by how much?
cos i'm only gonna get a 12-13 anyway. and my only good stories are about eating disorder or about going to a city and seeing beggars and some rich women is disgusted by it but how the thing which is really disgusting is her attitude rah rah rah

plus

what topic is not cliched? i doubt we can come up with something original after however many years of the journey.

Sonata

HSC
my friend attented those lecture things, they say weddings, teenage stuff are cliched, well there are other posts about this lurk around more.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Orginal is very hard. Try to make the setting, the characters, or the plot unusual. Or some combination of the three.

Of the idea's you've presented, I would recommend using the second one (the beggar). It's less cliche than the first.

Knowingnothing

Legendary!
HSC
Cliche would be typical, predictable aspects towards a story. I'm pretty sure the markers would be so bored of typical stories... Fell in love...got killed...psh.

You just make something crazy, out of proportion and just plain interesting. Matt Groening is a master of this.

kangms

HSC
I wrote a similar story to the Where the Wild Things are, where a kid goes on an imaginative journey. I done that in half yearlies and the teacher loved it and gave me a 13. On the other hand in trials, with a different teacher, i got 7, plus she wrote 'if you write this in the HSC you will get a instant zero'. i wrote a story where a kid takes a space cake (a brownie with marijuana, canabis and more) then gets high where he starts off an imaginative journey. I guess that is not allowed but i'm not sure if that was cliched (jimmy neutron, jumanji, where the wild things are have the same plot)

dood09

Frontier Psychiatrist ☻
HSC
N/A
i hope mine wasnt cliched

it was basically just about me and my friends cruzin round at schoolies picking up chicks and such

pretty cool.

HSC
dood09 said:
i hope mine wasnt cliched

it was basically just about me and my friends cruzin round at schoolies picking up chicks and such

pretty cool.
I think you've just got to make it pretty unbelievable so it doesn't seem cliched. So yeah, you should be alright.

Jaspal

HSC
Curiosity killed the cat imo.
then at the end i wrote dog.....
it wasnt meant to be a dog but i had to end it, lol
at least its creative and original... an imaginative journey of a dog who is manlike...

imqt

Premium Member
HSC
mines was pretty unique

bout the increasing materialism and personal ambitions in society but i showed this through an ant

berger69

HSC
imqt said:
mines was pretty unique

bout the increasing materialism and personal ambitions in society but i showed this through an ant
HHAHAHAHAHAH AN ANT!!!

U WILL NOT GET 98 UAI TALKING BOUT ANIMALS

HAHAHAHAHHHA

laa.musique

Executive Member
HSC
berger69 said:
HHAHAHAHAHAH AN ANT!!!

U WILL NOT GET 98 UAI TALKING BOUT ANIMALS

HAHAHAHAHHHA
ROFL agreed! our head teacher went on for like an hour about how u will not get any marks talking about animals unless you are walt disney or pixar! :)

Jaspal

HSC
Yeah that depends though, whether its a twist, such as you read the story thinking its all normal then at the end it turns out youve been reading from an animlas point of view... i did it in my half yearly and got 11

carla294

That Girl..
HSC
i dont know if mine is original or not, but it was about a girl who wanted to be her idol so much, so she tries to live out her life. Many people try to stop her following this path but she ignores them all and then at the end she commits suicide and you find out that she is trying to be marilyn monroe etc.

I dont think that it is cliche but you's might have a different opinion

That summary doesnt really do it justice.

HSC
carla294 said:
i dont know if mine is original or not, but it was about a girl who wanted to be her idol so much, so she tries to live out her life. Many people try to stop her following this path but she ignores them all and then at the end she commits suicide and you find out that she is trying to be marilyn monroe etc.

I dont think that it is cliche but you's might have a different opinion

That summary doesnt really do it justice.
Sounds really interesting. You'd have to be pretty quick to make that work in ~1000 words though.

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
Aha mine sounds so lame compared to some other peoples'... so try not to tease me lol. It's just more or less about a woman walking to her car late at night, and she thinks she's being followed and works herself in to a full blown state of paranoia... turns out it just some nice old guy trying to give her her keys.
Yeah. Little better put together than this lets on. But still. I thought it was good when I first thought of it, lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)