creative writing dilemma... :( (1 Viewer)

miss study

HSC
so im spending a lot of time trying to perfect and work on my creative writing... But should I? because what if you spend so much time making the perfect creative writing, only to be devastated because the question was too narrow and rid you of the entire essence of your creative writing and you end up making one on the spot. There's a possibility it may be perfect for you, but what if it isn't :/
Trials start tomorrow and i'm in pretty low spirits...
Throw you thoughts and opinions here. What do you think and has anyone experienced this possibly?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Perhaps at this point in time you should give yourself a break away from your piece of writing, as much as there is an innate desire to perfect a piece of writing, it is very important that you are able to develop a sense of detachment from it so that you will be willing to readily change your creative to suit a particular question. Since trials starts tomorrow, the best thing I would recommend is to look at past trial/HSC questions and think of different ways you can adapt your creative to these questions-don't be in low spirits before the exam, you need to place yourself in the highest possible spirits to maximise your performance and ensure that all the preparation is not lost.

I have experienced a similar dilemma in my high school years-it was only when I had learnt to be less attached to my writing and more accepting of its inherent shortcomings have allowed me to resolve this problem. Best wishes for your trials:)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I'm assuming you're talking about AOS (if not, I don't know how relevant my advice will be haha) but I think you should make your creative flexible enough it can be adapted to a stimulus. I don't think you should worry about the stimulus being too narrow because they're usually very broad and general.

It took me about 5-6 drafts before I actually got my creative down pat, so you can't have it perfect all the time. Don't aim for a "perfect" creative - aim for one that's adaptable with good imagery and hopefully explores a few ideas about belonging. It's stressful, I know, but you need to consider there's other parts of the trial they're assessing so don't get too caught up in your creative.

Also don't go into trials with low spirits. As a survivor of paper 1 and 2, the worst thing you can do is approach the test with a negative mindset.

miss study

HSC
Ok thank you. I'm just gonna put it aside for a while and return to it when im a little more relaxed. Thank you for the advice, it was helpful and ill definately check out a bunch of past paper.
xx

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Ok thank you. I'm just gonna put it aside for a while and return to it when im a little more relaxed. Thank you for the advice, it was helpful and ill definately check out a bunch of past paper.
xx
Also try to 'meditate' for a few minutes then go back to doing past papers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)