Creative Writing: Ideas and Inspiration (1 Viewer)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by natsirk
Try to twist the question around, look at it laterally(if you've got the time). I always try to remember that the markers have to read creative writing from EVERYBODY in the state! Try to make your writing stand out! And, like Lundy said, use discriptive language.
yeah, true, try to interpret the question metaphorically, and b radical in your approach as well.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I think, if you're really uncreative (like me) and can't think of anything new or original, it doesn't matter that much if you use a same-old generic story, as long as you put in lots of sophisticated language, and stuff like metaphors, descriptive language, deep and meaningful-isms. Ok, so the story won't be anything flash, but I doubt the mark will be affected much because of the quality of the language.

dandaman

well theres no point in rambing on through hardcore language if it doesnt make sense. I find sometimes that the best writers just say things simply, in short sentences..
i did a short-story piece for 4unit and found that unless youve got an idea which works, no matter how many twenty-nine letter words you put in there, your gonna get a phat zero.
Just have an idea, discuss how it develops and then link it metaphorically to a change. but as the other guys said too, dont say "this changed me for life"... rather link it back through your idea.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Lundy
I think, if you're really uncreative (like me) and can't think of anything new or original, it doesn't matter that much if you use a same-old generic story, as long as you put in lots of sophisticated language, and stuff like metaphors, descriptive language, deep and meaningful-isms. Ok, so the story won't be anything flash, but I doubt the mark will be affected much because of the quality of the language.
yeah, but at the end the markers are lookin' at how u show change, and ya language...originality is not that big of a deal (lookin' at the rubric/marking guidlines)

iH

Oldie
HSC
yeah. think about the topic of change. it's all about your understanding of change. if you can't show change - you don't understand it. fancy words ain't gonna do anything (but if you use them well, that means properly not just throwing in long words to sound smart, WITH a good story you'll be fine)

Just have fun with that question. it's creative, be creative!

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
Originally posted by iH
Just have fun with that question. it's creative, be creative!
i admire ur enthusiasm. obviously you haven't been disillusioned by the hsc.

i got 14 for my trials - 2 and a half pages on the spot, no preparation. My creative writing skills are sub-zero. So how did i get thru??

- description.. focusing on details. easy brownie points.
- and ram change down the markers' throats like no tmrw... seriously.. subtlety may work for harwood, but i'm no poet =P. Have a strong sense of change in the tone/mood.

best wishes - almost over now =)

iH

Oldie
HSC
Originally posted by +:: $i[Q]u3 ::+
i admire ur enthusiasm. obviously you haven't been disillusioned by the hsc.

i got 14 for my trials - 2 and a half pages on the spot, no preparation. My creative writing skills are sub-zero. So how did i get thru??
I got 14 in Half-yearlies and 15 in Trials and i just wrote. However, i didn't jam it down their throat. the only criticism i got on the 14 was that i wrote 'today my life was transformed' and they thought it was too forceful for showing change.

If you can show change in your story you'll do better. if you can't, state it. but if you can show it through your story they'll see it and you'll be better off for it.

And you're right about 2 and a half pages. that's what i did for both :) it's not quantity always people

tempco

HSC
So basically it's a "no-no" to state that change is happening in an obvious manner? I've always been doing that! OK, there are still two more days... x___X

iH

Oldie
HSC
Originally posted by NekkidSerpent
So basically it's a "no-no" to state that change is happening in an obvious manner? I've always been doing that! OK, there are still two more days... x___X
I wouldn't say it's a definite "no-no" just don't jam it down their throats that's all. don't be like every paragraph 'and so i changed'. if u state it. state it in the climactic part and find a better way to say 'i have changed'

tempco

HSC
Yep yep.. sounds good. And regarding creativity, I've heard that anything to do with fantasy is usually frowned upon... is that true?

iH

Oldie
HSC
Originally posted by NekkidSerpent
Yep yep.. sounds good. And regarding creativity, I've heard that anything to do with fantasy is usually frowned upon... is that true?
hadn't thought about that but...

fantasy is one of those subjects that is very left of centre. i know some amazing writers who write fantasy well but it tends to be extremely intricate or based on a far-off concept. The problems with that is realising the fantasy genre AND the change idea within such a small space of time. and making sure that the marker understands both the story/genre and the change you're showing.

I spose you could do fantasy but it wouldn't be as intricate because you really have to show change first and foremost.

Chances are it won't be a story but u can never be too sure!

tempco

HSC
hehe.. a bit of a daunting task I guess.. it takes a lot of time to develop a story, and with the added intricacy of the fantasy genre, you'll probably end up writing for 10 minutes! So I guess fantasy isn't a very wise choice for section 2.

dandaman

if you look at the exemplar ones from last year in the main part of this site, its easy to see that its not really the quality of writing either. The person who got a band 6 simply answered the question and played around with the idea they were given... im quite sure they made it up on the spot. Just relax and write about something that you know really well..

ssssonicyouth

phonic booth
HSC
N/A
my advice is to use imagery to show change

so long as it's a good image and you repeat it a few times, the markers will pick up on it and think 'ooo, sophisticated control of language forms' *tick top band*

i noticed the exemplars used imagery well-- one of them just adapted their short story into the letter format with an introduction-- nice and devious

Benno

HSC
sorry IH i disagree, its important that u make the change obvious to the examiners so they
1. pick up on it
2. you do what the rubric asks
3. coz i said so :p

iH

Oldie
HSC
Originally posted by Benno
sorry IH i disagree, its important that u make the change obvious to the examiners so they
1. pick up on it
2. you do what the rubric asks
3. coz i said so :p

hmm....keep in mind who the examiners are. :argue:

english teachers...and usually pretty decent ones at that. they can spot change a mile off and on that question they're LOOKING for it... if you hit them over the head with it it will just sound fake or pre-written.

A good writing piece shows change without saying 'and i changed'. The idea of the rubric is that you understand change. saying 'i changed' doesn't show u understand it. it shows that you understand that your supposed to be writing about change. a true and developed understanding of change is shown if you can write about a change and have them pick it up.

iH

tempco

HSC
I agree with iH... if your change isn't obvious, as in the you state the change plainly, but more of a metaphoric change.. or something not as obvious, the markers would probably mark you in a more favourable manner.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Creative writing doesn't always have to be a story (Has someone mentioned this yet? I hope so!). Unless they specifically tell you to write in a particular form, choose one you feel like writing and go for it.

Ideas? I pull ideas out of thin air. Play the word association game with yourself for the first ten seconds of thinking time. What's the word-association game? It goes something like..

"What am I thinking about?"
how much this exam sucks
ducks suck too
duck eggs?
eggs are nice fried
like tomatoes
i had tomatoes last night
last night i played doom 3
hey, remember that columbine thing?
mass murderers?
chainsaws

then you write a really brilliant story about a man whose life changes dramatically because the chain on his chainsaw broke, and he has to venture forth (from the farm at which he has spent his entire life) to find a new one.

A simple plot, and a rather silly one, but I find silly is easier to write in a short period of time (and is easier to wrap up - no twists involved).

Wild Dan Hibiki

teh sex0r
HSC
how about talking about experiences during skool and making it sound like a journey? would that be any good?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)