Crime Fiction (2 Viewers)

RJ

HSC
thanks for your answers - they were very helpful!

rhinoivory

Hmm, I just hope we don't get two essays (i.e, one essay and a so called creative writing task that is just a reworded essay).

I've written an essay that deals with:
contect, characterization, setting, style (cinematic and language styles), convention, values, ideas, techinique, technique, technique...

Basically, I've done an in depth analysis of all my texts.

What else do I need to know?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by rhinoivory
Hmm, I just hope we don't get two essays (i.e, one essay and a so called creative writing task that is just a reworded essay).
haha i hope we do

i don't know what else u need 2 know, u seem to have got it covered

rhinoivory

Damn, I want my last opportunity to be wanky/creative!! LOL

Nah, reason I don't want the so called second essay is because I'd rather pack everything I know into one essay, and feel confident with what I've put down, rather than split the matter in two, waste time being selective as to what information I should include, and then come out of the exam worrying If I've screwed things up.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Damn, I want my last opportunity to be wanky/creative!! LOL

Nah, reason I don't want the so called second essay is because I'd rather pack everything I know into one essay, and feel confident with what I've put down, rather than split the matter in two, waste time being selective as to what information I should include, and then come out of the exam worrying If I've screwed things up.
i did that in the trial, split it into 2 and hope i hadn't stuffed them both. if figure, if we get 2 essays again, i will pack all my stuff into both. in the trial the same teacher was marking both, so would have seen the same essay twice, in the hsc different people are. but i think that when they do the essay qs for the creative, it's hard because u don't know if ur doing it properly. but i prefer it to writing IN the genre!

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
I've written an essay that deals with:
contect, characterization, setting, style (cinematic and language styles), convention, values, ideas, techinique, technique, technique...

Basically, I've done an in depth analysis of all my texts.

What else do I need to know?
Looks like you have covered everything ...

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
Hmm, my school (sbhs) usually does really badly in english and all its categories. I was asking my teacher today if doing 3 unit english is worth it, and she said it is, but not many people get band 4. I was wondering what i would need to do to get a band 4. Any suggestions? Or will it come down to pure talent? How should i study for extension english?

BTW, the reason im putting this here is because I will be doing Crime fiction. The three texts my teacher told us we will most prolly do as:
"Film Noir"
"The Real Inspector Hound"
"The Skull Beneath The Skin"

Heh, we havent decided yet, it will be class decision ofcourse.

But anyway, is it really that hard to get a band 4?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Guardian
But anyway, is it really that hard to get a band 4?
i don't know, but you realise when you say band 4 u mean E4, the highest band.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
yup. Band 4 = highest band possible. Is it called E4? didnt know that.

BTW, turned out we arent doing crime fiction. We are doing retreat from global. darn, a new topic :S

Last edited:

d__o__a

DOA
HSC
N/A
crime fiction eng x

can u tell me some good related material to use for crime fiction

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
Originally posted by d__o__a
can u tell me some good related material to use for crime fiction
if you are doing "the skull beneath the skin" then i suggest agatha christie's "and then there were none" - there are a lot of links in there!

other suggestions: try to get supplementary texts from different era's... eg. arthur conan doyle, christie, and then a modern text such as a cornwal or reichs novel

has anyone seen the bone collector? do u think it would be suitable for crime fiction?

wog10

hey ppl
im doin real inspector hound, big sleep, snow falling on cedars

i need related texts ! plz i need one good movie and a book incase if it asks for a "variety of texts"

RJ

HSC
We've done TBS, RIH and Snow, but I really don't like RIH, so I'm hoping to use the other two. Is it true that you have to start your essay with one of the prescribed texts? Because depending on the question, I tend to write in chronological order, and it just so happens that my two related texts come before. Is this okay - assuming that I make links throughout? What do you guys think?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by RJ
We've done TBS, RIH and Snow, but I really don't like RIH, so I'm hoping to use the other two. Is it true that you have to start your essay with one of the prescribed texts? Because depending on the question, I tend to write in chronological order, and it just so happens that my two related texts come before. Is this okay - assuming that I make links throughout? What do you guys think?
It shouldn't matter what order you present your texts as long as you mention all of them in your intro ...

d__o__a

DOA
HSC
N/A
in the crime fiction question what do i need to talk about. should i talk about the contexts of the texts, and the techniques they use to demonstrate the crime fiction genre. do i need to talk about anything else.

also, what do i need to write for the genre question, like specifically what do i mention about my texts

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by d__o__a
in the crime fiction question what do i need to talk about. should i talk about the contexts of the texts, and the techniques they use to demonstrate the crime fiction genre. do i need to talk about anything else.

also, what do i need to write for the genre question, like specifically what do i mention about my texts
Yes, yes and yes.

- Talk about context and how that influnces the style of different sub-genres
- Talk about techniques used (not just things like soun effects, but also the techniques of puzzle solving)
- Also talk about the liks between texts, wha tthe subgenres are, why we would subvert the genre and the basic elemnts of a CF text.

- For generic genre questions reflect on how your text supports or subverts the particular characteristics of CF

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
While I try varying them to suit the question, my favourite related texts to use are 'The Hound Of The Baskervilles' (As an example of 'Traditional' CF, and there's a very good line describing Holmes that encapulates the singlemindedness of the 'Traditional' detective. His ignorance is as extraordinary as his knowledge), 'Out Of The Past' (Another film noir. It is a very good example of the 'criminal underworld' element of this genre as the story is a binary opposition between a 'Middle America' and a dominantly Hispanic and African-American 'underworld' [Which is interesting in comparison to Snow Falling On Cedar's plea to refrain from bigotry]) and 'The Mousetrap' (Works both as 'Traditional' and because it was a source of 'inspiration' for 'The Real Inspector Hound'. It's because it's crazy that it's dangerous..) Hopefully we get a question that these work well with.

Also go with the name-dropping sometimes for current CF, mentioning stuff like 'Silent Witness'. (My evaluation of CF is strongly influenced by context, the genre continually evolving from Traditional to Modern (The Big Sleep) to Post-Modern, reflected in changing textual aspects as multi-genericism (Going from Traditional generally focusing upon the crime and it's resolution, to Modern CF's emphasis upon romantic elements, as seen in The Big Sleep, where Marlowe and Vivian are shown together at the beginning and end, the crime happening between, on to SFOC, with about eight different genres pollinating into a 'Post-Modern' Crime Fiction..) Something like that at least.

EDIT-I need to go over my notes again, as can probably be seen in the confused, web-like structure of this rambling. (Ironically mirroring that of many CF texts.)

Last edited:

dreaming...

mc lake

even though it is almost last minute, what would you suggest to do beside study notes...i have this giant stack that i'm gradually sorting through and i feel like i know absolutely nothing...doesn't help when you have the crappiest teacher ever....know any good storyline plots or do you still have any notes?... do you think reading standards packages help...argh...crime fiction sucks

Last edited:

Charlie

hi, ummm, can anyone tell me is Austin powers 2 a bad supplementary text? i have used it before and it got good marks, but i dont know if the hsc markers wil be too impressed. i'm using the big sleep, snow falling on ceders, run lola run, and austin powers was my 2nd supp. coz the only others i have are the maltese falcon, and an agatha christie. austin powers shows a parody of the hard-boiled sub-genre, so kinda demonstrating how parody can represent, subvert, and play on expectations of the genre. so do u think i can use it, or should i get cracking on finding a new one REALLY FAST??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)