Criminal Law (1 Viewer)

Ashleet

HSC
For Criminal Law 160 we are using Criminal Law and Procedure in NSW by Eburn and Hayes, which is a great text book and all, as well as being aligned to the course outlines seeing as the author is the lecturer. However its because of this, the text makes so many damn references to MCCOC and represents alot of the opinion of the lecturer.

Just wondering if other ppl doing crim or who have done crim coud post what texts they use/d for the course. Even though i already have a million cases and legislation to read, another spin of the theory in the text would be great (plus with the whole open book exam, as may resources as possible would be fantastic).

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
We use Criminal Laws (2001) by Brown, Farrier, Egger and McNamara.

I don't like it though.. it's 1500 pages of dribble, if you ask me. It's good for caselaw, but not good for trying to understand the basics.

santaslayer

HSC
I don't know what text we use...doing criminal law first session next year (if I manage to pass contracts. :p).....probably one of the most interesting law topics available! :uhhuh:

hornetfig

HSC
Asquithian said:
thats the best text book for crim...its very very very extensive...it has lots of social commentart thats very interesting...to many it isnt dribble...
it's also very very very expensive for a book to be so poorly bound and covered! (be very careful with it)

A more basic criminal book will assist with just getting you the fundamental requirements for each crime - something that will help before tackling Brown.

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
santaslayer said:
I don't know what text we use...doing criminal law first session next year (if I manage to pass contracts. :p).....probably one of the most interesting law topics available! :uhhuh:
So Contracts is in your first year course? I wonder why ours is reversed... is Contracts difficult?

santaslayer

HSC
honky tonk said:
So Contracts is in your first year course? I wonder why ours is reversed... is Contracts difficult?
Yes, for me it is. I actually have to use my dead brain. :p

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
Dang.. what about Torts? Do I have anything to look forward to next year?

is a roflcopter
HSC
torts is a lot better than foundations of law
erm thats all i can say

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Contracts is by far my favourite law subject. It is the fundamental of any commercial society, and it really comes into your everyday life all the time. I think the difficulty in contracts is understanding it, because there is so much to take in and it is quite complex. Torts.. I think it is more the application that is the hard part - understanding it is fairly straightfoward

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
public is clearly valuable but I think anyone interested in government and politics would enjoy it more

property is a mixed bag... personal property is very interesting and fun, intellectual property is interesting, land law is quite dry in my opinion

haven't done crim

GTR

HSC
I did Criminal Law this semester.

I undertook my Criminal Law exam exactly two weeks ago, and i think i screwed up on the last question, with the elements of larceny.

I virtually had a mental blank. All i had in my notes was that once cash was passed from one owner to the other, ownership is transferred and there is basically no way of pursuing a case for illegal conduct.

Now i have to wait until the 17th of December to find out if i passed the course :(

I got a Distinction for Torts last semester, which was great because i actually worked hard to prepare for the exam. Since the exam was open book i tagged my notes, which also had the elements of each offence and also the authorities. The Civil Liability Act didn't really come in to play in the exam, which was a good thing because i didn't prepare any notes or tags for it.

I also did Introduction to Law last semester, which was a VERY boring subject. We basically learnt about court hierarchies, legal history, statutory interpretations e.t.c. We also had to do an analysis on the case of S157... Some Bangladesh refugee who appealed to the High Court. Only got 64% for the whole subject (1% off a credit). I studied for the exam the night before.

Next year, semester one is Contracts and Constitutional for me. Apparently Constitutional is VERY hard and we have a moot for it as well. Mooting is my weak point, something which i hope to rectify in the coming years as a law student. Contracts apparently has no mooting involved, but is very boring. Oh well...

GTR

HSC
Asquithian, i am at the University of Western Sydney.
*Puts on flame suit and patiently waits to get paid out*

GTR

HSC
Oh well, he is from Melbourne... Need i say more? :D

Ashleet

HSC
GTR said:
I did Criminal Law this semester.

I undertook my Criminal Law exam exactly two weeks ago, and i think i screwed up on the last question, with the elements of larceny.

I virtually had a mental blank. All i had in my notes was that once cash was passed from one owner to the other, ownership is transferred and there is basically no way of pursuing a case for illegal conduct.

Now i have to wait until the 17th of December to find out if i passed the course :(

I got a Distinction for Torts last semester, which was great because i actually worked hard to prepare for the exam. Since the exam was open book i tagged my notes, which also had the elements of each offence and also the authorities. The Civil Liability Act didn't really come in to play in the exam, which was a good thing because i didn't prepare any notes or tags for it.

I also did Introduction to Law last semester, which was a VERY boring subject. We basically learnt about court hierarchies, legal history, statutory interpretations e.t.c. We also had to do an analysis on the case of S157... Some Bangladesh refugee who appealed to the High Court. Only got 64% for the whole subject (1% off a credit). I studied for the exam the night before.

Next year, semester one is Contracts and Constitutional for me. Apparently Constitutional is VERY hard and we have a moot for it as well. Mooting is my weak point, something which i hope to rectify in the coming years as a law student. Contracts apparently has no mooting involved, but is very boring. Oh well...
im pretty sure i screwed up my second question too :(, but i think i screwed up my first question even more (was so expecting a question that had some element involving larceny and was totally about murder (which wasnt too bad) and conspiracy (which i had though to myself they'd never put that in the exam :( )

GTR

HSC
Don't worry about it too much, Ashleet. Everything usually turns out to be better than expected. If too many students fail, i guess the markers will have to make a decision to scale the marks high, so students don't get recycled through criminal law again...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)