Criminal Legal System Vs Criminal Justice System (1 Viewer)

StevChe

HSC
Hey guys is there a real difference when evaluating the effectiveness of the criminal justice system and the criminal legal system?? I hav looked at all these notes and somehow there seems to be no difference as everyone is refering the equality,accesibility,resource efficiency...etc.. But my teacher keeps saying that theres a massive difference.. Can someone help me :(

= Jennifer =

HSC
The criminal justice system consists of the state/territory and Australian Government institutions, agencies, departments and personnel responsible for dealing with the justice aspects of crime, victims of crime, persons accused or convicted of committing a crime, and related issues and processes.

Each state and territory has its own police, courts and corrections systems that deal with offences against local laws and also federal laws in some cases, while the federal criminal justice system deals with offences against Commonwealth laws. Criminal law is administered principally through the federal, state and territory police, the courts, and state and territory corrective services. As there is no independent federal corrective service, the relevant state or territory agencies provide corrective services for federal offenders.

The states and territories have independent legislative powers in relation to all matters that are not otherwise specifically vested in the Commonwealth of Australia. It is the statute law and the common law of the states and territories that primarily govern the day-to-day lives of most Australians.

criminal legal system is usually all the courts and processes for example sentencing, local court, district court, juries, etc

in response to effectiveness u address both of them on how effective they are using the criteria from the bos syllabus

goodluck :)

hajar

HSC
Thank you Jennifer!! That helps so much. Where did you get that definition by the way? A study guide maybe?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)