criminal report on resume!? (1 Viewer)

360flip

HSC
N/A
Back in year 9 i did stupid shit like shoplift and smoke weed and I stopped all that when i got caught once by the cops stealing shit from k-mart and i was taken to the castle hills police station and just got a warning! Now when i apply for a resume will that count? Or how badly decreased are my chances in applying a job for first time workers with no work experience whatsoever! I'm not totally shitted i can work at my parent's restaurant but i just wanted to know the consequences of my stupid behaviour in the past!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
something petty like that won't affect it that much.

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
360flip said:
Back in year 9 i did stupid shit like shoplift and smoke weed and I stopped all that when i got caught once by the cops stealing shit from k-mart and i was taken to the castle hills police station and just got a warning! Now when i apply for a resume will that count? Or how badly decreased are my chances in applying a job for first time workers with no work experience whatsoever! I'm not totally shitted i can work at my parent's restaurant but i just wanted to know the consequences of my stupid behaviour in the past!
You don't apply for a resume, you write/ type one up yourself.
I don't think it will affect your chances as you were only warned and not charged.

360flip

HSC
N/A
Yes i got a warning that's all! No charges, no bails, no fines the pigs just made me sit down in one of the offices and made me wait till my mum picked me up! All I did was steal a packet of batteries, stupid eh? :)

Good_riceZ

Go the Rabbitohs!
HSC
Well its not a convicted offence, so you're good as far as i see it?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
if there was no caution, plus you were under 16 at the time, then it's all okay.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Even if it did matter, they don't do background checks on you unless you are going to be working with children and other random things that require a police background check.

You're fine.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
your fine, as long as a potential employer doesnt ask about stuff like that (tho i suppose u could always lie)

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
they cant ask you if you have been in trouble with the police, its an illegal question [ cause it opens to door for descrimination] the closest thing they are allowed to ask is " have you ever been convicted of a criminal offence"

and if they ask that just say " convicted? no no no ive never been convicted" and laugh then stare with a straight face

santaslayer

HSC
convicted means found guilty. if u were never convicted then all u have to answer is "no".

when i applied for a job as a retail sales officer at telstra shop they gave me a sheet of paper asking me to authorise them to do a background check on me.

Tingaling

HSC
i dont think so, i've stollen an ice-cream from a corner shop...cos i didnt like that shop lady... but you dont have to put it on your resume =p

7th Sign

HSC
did you go to court over it ?

dont worry if u only got a warning it wont show up....also maby call the police Im sure u can get a hold of your record some how...

PatG

HSC
Aren't any misdemeanour's wiped from your record anyway as soon as you turn 16?

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Tingaling said:
i dont think so, i've stollen an ice-cream from a corner shop...cos i didnt like that shop lady... but you dont have to put it on your resume =p
Scanorama said:
If they don't ask, then don't tell them! :D
Exactly,
I've vandalised train stations and trains alike and shoplifted, and I managed to get work.

derrida

Old Hack
HSC
" i was taken to the castle hills police station and just got a warning! Now when i apply for a resume will that count?"

Nup. That doesn't mean anything. There is no record. Unless you have been to criminal court and lost you are ok! If you can't remember doing that its all good!

HSC
360flip said:
This was one of the main intentions of the young offenders act of 1997. A warning is nothing. Its main purpose is that so that down the track when a person (who is no longer a juvenile criminal) wants to go for a job and they apply, a criminal record does not tarnish their chances.

Only if the juvenile commits a sex offence or an offence of a violent nature does it stick on their record and affect their job chances (and then.. they wouldn't be given a warning, would they?)

It wont affect your chances in the slightest.

Last edited:

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
a) It was a warning - even if you got a job (like a lifeguard) that requres a police check, it won't be on record. Hell, you could become a police officer still.

b) As for misdemeanours, I think it varies state to state but I'm sure it's 18 in Victoria. I don't see why NSW would be different.

c) KMart don't care.

d) You write your own resume. You can lie by omission :p (and exaggerate as much as you like). Just make sure you're able to justify at interview. Bearing in mind that it's KMart, your interview will probably consist of: "When can you work?" , "This is what you may wear...", and you're out of the door.

HSC
PatG said:
Aren't any misdemeanour's wiped from your record anyway as soon as you turn 16?
Nothing is wiped. The police know everything, but employers and everyone else don't. Even if its just a computer event, which is totally non-binding, the police will still know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)