CSSA Ancient History Trials (1 Viewer)

HSC
A Note from the Moderators:
Please keep in mind not to give out the actual questions or a copy of the paper as there are copyright issues, not the mention the fact that some students may do the same paper as you at a different date and it is still within the security period.

pumpeddd :)

Last edited by a moderator:

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
I am so unprepared for this. On top of that, the exam will probably be 10x harder than it should be because it's a Catholic trial. My teacher's going to be pretty disappointed. :/

I'm going to be up all night cramming, just to try and pull together whatever small pieces of knowledge I can.

Therewego

HSC
Well its done,

Was actually easier than expected, and I didn't like the 10 marker for Pompeii (I pretty much didn't look at that syllabus point because I assumed it wouldn't be on it...ah well) but the rest was pretty good.

pretty happy with it anyway,
now onto learning the whole legal studies syllabus :(

funk1234

HSC
i didnt study for it.. ill probably fail :(

oh well studying for pe now... another fail

sirenxx

HSC
it was ok.
so i won't give the question away. but did anyone else think the historical period question for NKE to Thut IV was bad?? Didn't like either a) or b) as I had studied more of an overview looking at all the pharaohs. but went with a)
i thought the content for each question was limited for a 25 marked question (especially since I couldn't remember it all). I could find out for myself but do they usually give such 'specific' questions instead of looking at all the pharaohs?

Sarah922

HSC
Hey what did they ask in the pompeii and herculaneum section? if any1 remembers??? my mark is getting estimated i was sick.

Last edited:

Therewego

HSC
Hey what did they ask in the pompeii and herculaneum section? if any1 remembers??? my mark is getting estimated i was sick.
I don't remember the specific question but I believe it was something along the lines of "critically evaluate and account for the methods by which structural changes to the cobble stones upon the Street of Abundance have occured over time. In your answer include a discussion of diameter and radius, while similarly including a debate upon the potency of chocolate milk".

for the 10 marker of course.

Katherwin

HSC
Argh, I stuffed this one up. I talked about the circumference, rather than the diametre. Then I accidently talked about the potency of banana milk instead of chocolate! (Probably because I like banana better :D )

Just kidding. I havent actually done mine yet, its tomorrow morning. If, in Pompeii and Herculaneum, they ask a question about Private Houses Im set, otherwise, seeya later Ancient History Trial!

This subject is way too big.

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
Argh, I stuffed this one up. I talked about the circumference, rather than the diametre. Then I accidently talked about the potency of banana milk instead of chocolate! (Probably because I like banana better :D )

Just kidding. I havent actually done mine yet, its tomorrow morning. If, in Pompeii and Herculaneum, they ask a question about Private Houses Im set, otherwise, seeya later Ancient History Trial!

This subject is way too big.
Completely agree. The content for this subject far outweighs that of any of my other subjects. Not to mention the necessity for direct quotes, evidence and such for each syllabus point which is unnecessary in stuff like the sciences, etc.

Last edited:

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Completely agree. The content for this subject far outweighs that of any of my other subjects. Not to mention the necessity for direct quotes, evidence and such for each syllabus point which is unnecessary in stuff like the sciences, etc.
there's no necessity for direct quotes in exams. markers don't expect it because they're perfectly aware that being able to recite a text verbatim doesn't actually demonstrate any understanding. paraphrasing is fine.

X

xeuyrawp

there's no necessity for direct quotes in exams. markers don't expect it because they're perfectly aware that being able to recite a text verbatim doesn't actually demonstrate any understanding. paraphrasing is fine.
Absolutely correct.

Unless you've got a small phrase (eg 'personal piety', 'theology of will') or word ('heretic') from a work that you want to use, there's really no point learning direct quotes.

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
Triangulum / PwarYuex, thanks for the clarification. My teacher has suggested that quotes are better than paraphrasing, but he's never been an Ancient HSC marker or anything so I guess he could very possibly be mistaken.

So, for example, simply naming an historian and stating their stance on a particular issue should be sufficient?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Triangulum / PwarYuex, thanks for the clarification. My teacher has suggested that quotes are better than paraphrasing, but he's never been an Ancient HSC marker or anything so I guess he could very possibly be mistaken.

So, for example, simply naming an historian and stating their stance on a particular issue should be sufficient?
I am a Modern History marker and I will quote one of our Senior Markers

"When a student quotes it shows that he/she can memorise a quote. When a student paraphrases an argument it shows that they have been able to synthesise the information and are able to use that information properly."

I tell my students to paraphrase the basic thesis not learn pages of quotes.

Last edited:

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
I am a Modern History marker and I will quote one of our Senior Markers"

When a student quotes is shows that he/she can memorise a quote. When a student paraphrases and argument it shows that they have been able to synthesise the information and are able to use that information properly.

I tell my students to paraphrase the basic thesis not learn pages of quotes.
Thanks for the clarification, that's good to hear. I was beginning to worry about the sheer amount of quotes I'd have to have memorised if I could in any way adequately cover the syllabus. This takes a huge pressure off because I'm already somewhat familiar with the arguments of various writers and historians, but I have a horrible memory for exact quotes.

luridlysteph14

HSC
I was wondering if there's anywhere I can get practice HSC questions.

Obviously, you're not allowed to post the actual test paper due to copyright (and the fact that public schools actually have to pay for them. Lame.). However, if anyone had any links to any practice questions, it would be much appreciated.

& that's a relief on the quote front. I was actually lying in bed last night debating whether or not to stick quotes about Sparta from Xenophon to my toilet door or not. Last year I recorded Coleridge quotes and went running to them, and that worked. But I suppose poetry is a little easier to breath to than Aristotle's whinging.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)