CSSA Physics (1 Viewer)

jamesfirst

HSC
That is wrong because that formula assumes g is a constant value. However as an object moves further away from Earth the value of g changes. Many textbooks are horrible at explaining this concept.
Hmm. you have a point.

But I was taught in class to do this... so yeah... I'll argue :)

Edit: Actually, it shouldn't matter. Because they are asking for the initial work require to propel the object to such height. So I don't think the constancy of 'g' matters too much. Textbooks and teachers taught to just consider 'g' as a constant value. If you discuss it like that, then projectile motions wouldn't work.

Last edited:

tomdoml

Premium Member
HSC
Hmm. you have a point.

Edit: Actually, it shouldn't matter. Because they are asking for the initial work require to propel the object to such height. So I don't think the constancy of 'g' matters too much. Textbooks and teachers taught to just consider 'g' as a constant value. If you discuss it like that, then projectile motions wouldn't work.

Syllabus:
"-Define gravitational potential energy as the work done to move an object from a very large distance away to a point within the gravitational field."
Ep= -G(m1m2)/r

Last edited:

Durka224

HSC
Can anyone shed light on a Quanta to Quarks question that asked for the the wavelength of 'the first line in the balmer series'?

jamesfirst

HSC
Syllabus:
"-Define gravitational potential energy as the work done to move an object from a very large distance away to a point within the gravitational field."
Ep= -G(m1m2)/r
Ummm... yeah I know that. What's your point ? lol

Qwertyuioplm

HSC
Hmm. you have a point.

Projectile motion is assumed to have a constant g as defined by its parabolic trajectory of constant downward acceleration and constant horizontal velocity.

The formula you used is an approximation of work done, an approximation that is only valid close to the surface to Earth. In questions that involve large radius, that formula results in extremely large inaccuracies and hence the integrated formula (change in gravitational potential energy) is used.

Try integrating Newton's Law of Gravitation in terms of r and you might understand why. ;)

clementc

Awesome Member
HSC
Uni Grad
g is certainly not constant lol
but we approximate 9.8m/s^2 for points near the earth's surface
Isn't there an entire dot point that asks for reasons that account for the variation in g?

And just adding on to what qwerty said, integrate between limits from infinity to a distance r

FCB

Emma Watson <3
HSC
Was the value for Gpe negative or positive. I don't remember the question

Was it asking for work done or the Gpe at that point?

FCB

Emma Watson <3
HSC
And you could work our the current either by f=bilSin(theta) ornT=fd then sub into torque formula. Same answer or 2 amps

jamesfirst

HSC
g is certainly not constant lol
but we approximate 9.8m/s^2 for points near the earth's surface
Isn't there an entire dot point that asks for reasons that account for the variation in g?

And just adding on to what qwerty said, integrate between limits from infinity to a distance r
Yes. There is a reason why they give you the value for 'g' in the chart.

Joy_2575

HSC
N/A
Yes. There was one where u had to draw Simultaneity and explain it.
How would you draw simultaneity ? :S
Do you just draw the train and two different observers?

Also were there any experiments this year?

Screamm

HSC
How would you draw simultaneity ? :S
Do you just draw the train and two different observers?

Also were there any experiments this year?
yeah i did the train one with lightning strikes lol

you had talk about thompsons experiment and draw the setup of experiment to show lenz law

Last edited:

FCB

Emma Watson <3
HSC
Did we have to talk about thompsons experiment? It had no helmholtz coil or it wasn't asking to measure the charge:mass ratio (his experiment) I didn't explain that v=e/b or any of that.

I mentioned thermionic Emmision

Screamm

HSC
Did we have to talk about thompsons experiment? It had no helmholtz coil or it wasn't asking to measure the charge:mass ratio (his experiment) I didn't explain that v=e/b or any of that.

I mentioned thermionic Emmision
i forgot they changed some of the questions in ours haha but yeah it wasn't in the standard only in mine because we haven't finished ideas to implementation yet :\.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)