Cultural Belonging Texts (1 Viewer)

bonniekaterose

HSC
I need to have 3 texts which come from the categories of

- film
- novel/short story/biography
- multimedia/visual text
- magazine/ newspaper article
which relate to my prescribed text of Skrzynecki, and i thought id keep to the theme of cultural belonging/not belonging.
Any good ideas on some texts , especially books and films which are a good source of culural beloning, or i suppose historical.

i had the idea of The Arrival, by Shaun Tan, but no librarys near by have it!!

Thanks,
Bonnie

counterman

HSC
I guess Beneath Clouds by Ivan Sen may be a good one. One of the main characters, Lena, feels a detachment from her Aboriginal culture as she is half Irish and half Aborigine.

I'm also not sure.

jennieTalia

HSC
bonniekaterose said:
I need to have 3 texts which come from the categories of

- film
- novel/short story/biography
- multimedia/visual text
- magazine/ newspaper article
which relate to my prescribed text of Skrzynecki, and i thought id keep to the theme of cultural belonging/not belonging.
Any good ideas on some texts , especially books and films which are a good source of culural beloning, or i suppose historical.

i had the idea of The Arrival, by Shaun Tan, but no librarys near by have it!!

Thanks,
Bonnie
novels-
Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman
The diary of Anne Frank

Look back at libraries at newspaper articles, locally. Generally there are a tonne of people complaining about the building of mosques and so forth. Cronulla riots articles?
You could also try those images in history textbooks showing cultural discrimination via the white australia policy, those cartoons and everything.

films-
Save the Last Dance- the line "Oh are there white people at your school then?" when she says she made some friends always hits home.
Anna and the King
Roots
Brave Heart

Documentary- Louie and the Nazi's. ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC.

There are many aboriginal poets out there (e.g. Oodjeru Noonuccal, sp?) that talk about this sort of thing, so have a look. If you aren't taking drama then try the "7 stages of grieving" which is a play about Aboriginality and all that jazz.

LEEESHA

HSC
'We Are Going' by Oodgeroo Noonuccal

It suggests belonging to a culture and/or a group/tribe
Also raises an idea of exclusion by having their lifestyle being taken away and feeling lost, therefore demonstrating a sense of exclusion/not belonging.

I have a few notes on it if you are interested. Mostly language features and the meanings they convey. It is a good poem as an ORT

kcrocks

HSC
For a novel you could try
Does My Head Look Big In This - Randa Abdel-Fattah

radrifferz

HSC
hey guys, im doing the same topic, thanks for all the ideas i think they should help.

LEEESHA - would u be able to send me those notes on "we are going"that you have? just send to my email .. timtam_tom @ hotmail.com cheers

Thangquangtu

QUANG(*)
HSC
For a movie you can try Freedom Writers. Students from different cultural backgrounds dislike each other.

For a visual text try Anne Zahalka's appropriated images of Australian culture, how she defines belonging in Australia.

emilywood

HSC
Yeh Freedom Writers is a great film to do for belonging
and a great novel is 'Looking For Alibrandi' also Peter Skrzynecki does great beloning poems :)

MaddiEcstatic

HSC
hey I'm doing the same thing.
I'm using Metamorphosis (short story) by Franz Kafka
and Into The Wild (film) screenplay/directed by Sean Penn, but its inspired by teh true story of Christopher McCandless.
some others are Memoirs of a Geisha, Looking for Alibrandi, (look up on youtube) Mankind is no Island
also, google "short stories migrant -the age" and click on the first link, fantastic website! you can do the entire site as a text or one of the stories, its really good
Hope this is of some use, and if anyone else has some pointers on my texts that would be awesome =)

Sally1611

HSC
Hey, i'm currently studying belonging as well, and was wondering if some one could send me the notes on 'we are going'?
would really appreciate it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)