Cumberland 2006- Who's starting? (1 Viewer)

jessied

HSC
franklin265 said:
i got accepted in the b. health sciences course

i'm going to do the chem simply because i didn't do chem at all.

also. out of curiositiy, will you be living on campus??? that's quite some distance you have to travel.

another general question:

do us cumberland peeps take part in the o-week on the main campus? i read the enrollment booklet i got but it didn't exactly say yes or no. all i read was "thursday march 2"
I'm living at a College on the main campus and travelling to cumbo each day. Is anyone else living on main campus this year?

franklin265

HSC
jessied said:
I'm living at a College on the main campus and travelling to cumbo each day. Is anyone else living on main campus this year?
oh wow thats cool.

it's just one train trip from central or redfern directly there. and you're most likely to get onto the train i have to go on because it's on my train line.

anyway. i printed off the handbook pages for my course, reading it is all very confusing.

kaitie

the evenstar
HSC
im supposed to do a chem bridging course cos i didnt do HSC year chem.- this is for speech path where I got told by a friend that the chem is reasonably simple and you don't need the bridging course..but i dont know- IM SO confused.
It says we need simple chem- and ive got very simple chem skills.
AHHH

franklin265

HSC
kaitie said:
im supposed to do a chem bridging course cos i didnt do HSC year chem.- this is for speech path where I got told by a friend that the chem is reasonably simple and you don't need the bridging course..but i dont know- IM SO confused.
It says we need simple chem- and ive got very simple chem skills.
AHHH
all i've got is VERY simple chem skills - that being from what i learnt in years 9 and 10. haha.

i'm still going to do the chem bridging course though. i want to know what they're going on about most of the time when they're talking to us

i was told all the schools in the fhs have some classes/lectures - whatever - down at the main campus. true? i've never read anything about it on the site so that's new to me. not that i'm complaining, i've just never come across reading it that's all.

jessied

HSC
They recommed that you do both the chemisrty and physics bridging courses for physio if you didn't do them in year 12, great! I did chem for year 11 and half of year 12 but my chem skills are pretty dodgy and the only physics i know is from 3unit maths...

Click here http://www.fhs.usyd.edu.au/future_students/undergrad/bridging/bridge_chem.shtml for the chemistry self-assessment test

and Here http://www.fhs.usyd.edu.au/future_students/undergrad/bridging/bridge_phys.shtml for the physics self assessment test

nik_noodle

HSC
jessied said:
They recommed that you do both the chemisrty and physics bridging courses for physio if you didn't do them in year 12, great! I did chem for year 11 and half of year 12 but my chem skills are pretty dodgy and the only physics i know is from 3unit maths...

Click here http://www.fhs.usyd.edu.au/future_students/undergrad/bridging/bridge_chem.shtml for the chemistry self-assessment test

and Here http://www.fhs.usyd.edu.au/future_students/undergrad/bridging/bridge_phys.shtml for the physics self assessment test
Hey Jessied, I do HIM and in the first year you do the same courses as us for chem I think. (Human Bio & Biochemistry), and it was pretty much just the first couple of months of Yr11 Chemistry.

Really simple stuff that i'd done in yr 8-9-10 as well. And I don't know anyone who failed. Pretty much, if you handed assignments in they passed you regardless.

And Franklin, you won't have any classes on main campus i dont think. All i know that those doing Excercise & Sports Science/Nutrition go to main campus for nutrition.
I don't think any other course goes to main campus except my course in 3rd-4th yr and thats only a maybe if we choose an elective from there. I might even be wrong about us being there. I'm not really concerned with it until it happens. haha.

franklin265

HSC
hahaha thats cool.

does anyone know if buses will be running on monday from lidcombe station to the campus?

fearless86

HSC
franklin265 said:
i was told all the schools in the fhs have some classes/lectures - whatever - down at the main campus. true? i've never read anything about it on the site so that's new to me. not that i'm complaining, i've just never come across reading it that's all.
no, thats not true.

and about bridging courses... maybe the chem one is right for you- it might be nice to already know some people when you start on your first day if youre not going to O camp.
but if youre gonna travel all that distance just cos youre worried you wont be able to understand the lectures- dont stress about it.
It's just this one subject, Molecules and Energy that has chem stuff in it, but they don't assume knowledge. if you have done chem for the HSC , you could just skip half the lectures for this subject and still get a distinction (like moi) cos our lecturer took us all really slowly through 'this is a covalent bond, this is an ionic bond, this is an amino acid, this is a salt etc' in painstaking detail.

nik_noodle

HSC
franklin265 said:
hahaha thats cool.

does anyone know if buses will be running on monday from lidcombe station to the campus?
yeah. I doubt the 915 will be running, but the 918 will run. I think it comes every 15-20mins.

franklin265

HSC
fearless86 said:

camp? for the cumberland peeps or all of usyd 1st yrs?

i never knew that. that's awesome!

where do we go? and for how long?

Lois_87

I Love Gorden Tallis!
HSC
Radiation Therpay

Hey Guys,

Is anyone else here doing radiation therpay???

Skeeta

HSC
I'm a 2nd yr speechie, i did the bridging course for Chem, altho i wished i didnt - most of what you learn is recovered in Human Bio and Biochem, and its very simple (i had done NO chem either and think i would have been fine without the bridging course)

if you are a speechie i think that the grammar bridging course could help alot, seeing as tho heaps of us are at summer school for that subject as we speak

nik_noodle

HSC
franklin265 said:
camp? for the cumberland peeps or all of usyd 1st yrs?

i never knew that. that's awesome!

where do we go? and for how long?
YEah its cumbo only. I don't know anyone who went last yr tho.

fearless86

HSC
yeah i went to O camp.

not that many people went- maybe 100- 150 or something?

it was cool. we got all split up into different teams and we played games against the other teams. and there was a trivia night, and a toga party on the last night with free drinks where everyone got hammered and most people ended up spewing on the grass.

sometimes i found it really awkward being at a camp with so many strangers, cos youre used to camp as being a kind of party time with your school friends, so with all these people you've never met before- it was hard to know what to say at times. but it turned out that the people that i met there became my really good friends when uni started and that made 1st year way easier. so i'd recommend going.

franklin265

HSC
i went to enrollment today

the campus is not so bad. i might like it more than the main campus. i mean, it's a really nice campus. enrollment was a bitch - it took forever but luckily the place was air conditioned and whatnot.

fearless86, was o-camp before or during lectures started?? i got all this info, read through it, but nothing on o-camp.

Lois_87

I Love Gorden Tallis!
HSC
franklin265 said:
i went to enrollment today

the campus is not so bad. i might like it more than the main campus. i mean, it's a really nice campus. enrollment was a bitch - it took forever but luckily the place was .
How long did it take? I have enrollment tomorrow. Like did it go for more than 2hours?

franklin265

HSC
Lois_87 said:
How long did it take? I have enrollment tomorrow. Like did it go for more than 2hours?
definitely more than an hour and a half. it took me close to 2 hours to finish.

there's like 14 steps you have to go through to enrol. some you might skip. i know it did. so that can cut your time.

rockets

HSC
N/A
Hay guys, this may seem a dumb question BUT what sort of jobs or where do you think you will be working once you have your health science or health information management degrees??? Just curious as thinking about these degrees for next year but like to know more on where they take you???????? Thanks

nik_noodle

HSC
shelby said:
Hay guys, this may seem a dumb question BUT what sort of jobs or where do you think you will be working once you have your health science or health information management degrees??? Just curious as thinking about these degrees for next year but like to know more on where they take you???????? Thanks
I do HIM and can honestly say, that after a year in the course I still don't have much of an idea, and neither do most of the other students I talk to. Infact, not even our lecturers can give us a defintion of what we are doing etc.

I'm guessing once I graduate, ill be in a MRD for a few years, doing clinical coding, and then see where I go from there.

Check this out, it might help a bit:
http://www.himaa.org.au/him.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)