Cutoff Trends (1 Viewer)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
true I didnt think of it like that :)...Do many schools do that? My school only did it for the med students and I wondered all year what I was going to get I didnt have a clue, I self predicted about 85ish. The only guidance we got was 'If you are ranked in the top half or large cohort subjects you will get above 90' which was no help for me who was in all the classes that had less than 10 except legal; and english.

X

xeuyrawp

melsc said:
true I didnt think of it like that :)...Do many schools do that? My school only did it for the med students and I wondered all year what I was going to get I didnt have a clue, I self predicted about 85ish. The only guidance we got was 'If you are ranked in the top half or large cohort subjects you will get above 90' which was no help for me who was in all the classes that had less than 10 except legal; and english.
From what I've been told, all schools have to aid (either via an careers advisor person) in or provide a UAI estimate.

X

xeuyrawp

melsc said:
My school only did it for those who pestered them I think and it didnt seem reliable, just the careers advisor looking at ur results and guessing lol
That's lame. They really should purchase JUAI or whatever it's called.

I wonder if there's a business venture for Laz in selling SAM.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I agree.. Sell SAM to schools, and keep offering it for free to students.
Give them the SAM 'deluxe edition' or whatever to make them feel they're getting a better product.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
^ then again they would need to factor in the difficulty of the assessments because my final and trial marks gave me 85 and 88 with SAM (i know its going to be innacurate with such marks). I know my assessment mark at school for Eng Av was 77% bos gave me an assessment mark of 87%.

I think it should be avaliable at schools as it would stop those with unrealistic expectations, we had so many people wanting to get into something that was impossible for them, my careers advisor even said to me 'don't even bother with UNSW or USYD the dux year didnt even get that' lol well this year we sure showed them with two or three in USYD law.

The only thing is my school was 'anti-sam' because a few people were stupid enough to change/drop subjects based on what sam predicited them in year 11 :rolleyes: . I guess if the teachers used with the students and explained it to them they may like to use it.

he should do something with SAM...it was so accurate for me I think sam gave me 93.90 and I ended up with 94.0 pretty damn good

X

xeuyrawp

Not-That-Bright said:
I agree.. Sell SAM to schools, and keep offering it for free to students.
Give them the SAM 'deluxe edition' or whatever to make them feel they're getting a better product.
It was my idea, don't pretend you came up with the cash-cow. :p

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
interesting stats there. =o
the lady at UNSW said the cut-off will be heaps higher with that article came out

p.s. couldnt believe i read thru the entire "law student" argument lol

michaeln36

HSC
hehe.. thanks for the bumped thread.

I want to study economics/law next year, at UNSW, i got a UAI of 99.2 ... which is right on last years cutoff... with a bit of luck it wont go up (but maybe with new building + new ranking 1st from federal government for law it might go up .. then i will have to start eco and transfer).

wat are ppls predictions for UAI movements this year?

also; if the UAI cutoff is like 99.25 ... there is absolutely nothing i can do to get straight in? Like u cant go to an interview or anything? beg? plead? show them that my mark of 88 in physics brought down my UAI a bit, and physics doesnt apply to law AT ALL? or will i jsut have to accept i missed out and start economics and aim for the transfer?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
michaeln36 said:
wat are ppls predictions for UAI movements this year?

also; if the UAI cutoff is like 99.25 ... there is absolutely nothing i can do to get straight in? Like u cant go to an interview or anything? beg? plead? show them that my mark of 88 in physics brought down my UAI a bit, and physics doesnt apply to law AT ALL? or will i jsut have to accept i missed out and start economics and aim for the transfer?
might stay the same, or move up/down 0.05. depends.

generally, there is nothing you can do to get straight in if your marks are below the cutoff. late-round offer cut-offs are usually much higher (mid-99s). however, i know a certain person entered into law with 98.80, with EAS. don't know what grounds she applied for EAS though.

so if your UAI is below the cut-off, leave it in there for the late-round, and check out your other options such as other-law-transfer, eco-transfer, graduate law or full-fee.

dreamer17

HSC
Frigid said:
interesting, but really don't mean much as to the quality disparity of each law school:-

UNSW: 99.30 (2002), 99.30 (2003), 99.35 (2004), 99.15 (2005), 99.20 (2006)

USyd: 99.40 (2002), 99.60 (2003), 99.60 (2004), 99.60 (2005), 99.55 (2006)

UTS (Business Law): 97.00 (2002), 98.35 (2003), 98.50 (2004), 97.50 (2005), 97.55 (2006)

ANU (Commerce Law): 92.00 (2002), 95.00 (2003), --- , 95.00 (2005), 96.50 (2006)

What happens if you get below the cutoff? is there another way in?

Does anyone know the cutoff for med? and does it really matter?--dont the interview and UMAT basically decide whether u get in

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)