Cyber Bullying/Gossip Girl (1 Viewer)

shuning

HSC
回复: Re: Cyber Bullying/Gossip Girl

a certain member of bos has been suspeded from school for cyber bullying - shuning , i believe cyber bullying is the most cowardice of bullying, if you have balls i believe bullying should be done physically... nah jokin jokin bullying is ethically and morally wrong dont do it ):
FUCK YOU! Sif call that bullying T.T

This whole thing is ridiculous. Posting things on the Internet is not bullying. Kids need to learn to deal with people saying bad things about them. Trying to shelter them from it by making up terms like 'cyberbullying' and punishing people for making a funny website is fucking ridiculous.
so agree ^^

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Bullying is one of the worst possible things that can happen to a person in their formative years. I started school as a really self confident and intelligent kid, but for some reason I was perceived as an easy target, and got constantly bullied at school, in my sports team and at my next school.

Its taken me until now (1st year uni), despite ~4 years of no bullying in HS when everyone grows up a bit, to realise that I have defined talents and strengths, and am not really the hopeless person who I was made out to be.

Nevertheless, I've become a shy person who struggles to enter conversations because of years of suppressing thoughts that came into my head when chatting (for fear of being ridiculed after saying them). So my potential social life has been much reduced.

I still finished school with good marks, got into a uni course, and have achieved various things. So an outside person would not be able to perceive long lasting damage, as is the case with the vast majority of bullying victims. But that doesn't mean it isn't there, and won't take a few more years to repair, and with a large opportunity cost.
My interpretation of this is... bullying taught you some valuable life lessons (like just because you think you are really awesome doesn't mean everyone else believes it) and has made you a stronger person (for example, you don't determine your value based on the opinions of others).

So in other words... bullying is a good thing.

ablle

HSC
N/A
Furthermore, to say that one may avoid it (with regards to facebook for instance) is wrong, because, by bullying, that person is stripped of their freedom to access that site (now unfortunately so important in communicating) for the sake of not being harmed, which hardly seems fair.
Using this logic any site that can be interpreted to "harm" someone is wrong. This could include major news sites, Wikipedia, and political party sites, as well as personal pages.

Furthermore, no-one is stopping them from accessing the site but themselves. They are not being stripped of their freedom at all. It's hardly fair to shut down a website because someone doesn't want to go onto it for fear of being "hurt".

Natendo

HSC
Discrimination is not illegal, and it's not defamation if it is true or is an opinion.
I know you've responded to someone else about your first statement, so Its pointless that I reply to that... but I'll say one thing- I would say it's fair to say that in this age of self-generated media, that the line between an attempt to represent 'truth' and 'opinion' (especially content created by 'amateurs') is very fine indeed. People can say shit on facebook, myspace and convince the viewing audience to a manipulated and potentially malicious representation of a person or idea that is unfiltered. That person cannot defend themself by projecting their own truth other than to either a. generate their own representation of their true self to the cyber world, or b. clarify the misrepresentation offline.
Usually by then though, everyone's already seen it and they've made up their minds. And also we're at an even greater loss as to what the truth actually is?
Cyberbullying is bullying as it's projected at a personal level. Generally the aim of the bully is to inflict as much pain as possible. This is not like the tabloids attacking the celebrities. This is a strategy to ruin or further damage a person's reputation, lodge an attack on their personal identity and denounce any attempt at redemption in the online and community sphere. What makes it worse in most cases, is that the victim knows that the perpetrator is someone in their everyday life. Causing a void of trust, a feeling of being hated by 'everyone' and all that kinda junk.

I don't recall saying that it wasn't.
I wasn't clear when I said that the distinction between 'real life' and 'cyberspace' was a false one, so I apologise. What I meant was that the home computer and internet can be turned off. But experiences and memories within this sphere remain. The cyber world feels to most like a 'real' point of interaction. So bullying on the internet feels just as real as on the playground, bullies don't need to be tall and look menacing to be intimidating. A passing comment made in the playground like "fcuking slut" and a quick reply back " shut up you hairy shit bag" (ho ho ho) can remain at largely passive levels. Take this onto the internet, and allow people to -really- think about what they'd really want to say to someone and now have the near anonymous freedom to do it, and they can produce really long winded, deeply hurtful things.
So to say cyber-bullying isn't -real bullying- is to say that the only things that are true and have real meaning for people are experiences contained within the face-face realm. But really, things said can have just as much, greater or lesser impact on people, on the internet because the same meaning can be found regardless of the setting.

Last edited:

aussie-boy

HSC
My interpretation of this is... bullying taught you some valuable life lessons (like just because you think you are really awesome doesn't mean everyone else believes it)
My point is that bullying convinces a person that they are worthless - and you cannot argue that this is true for any human being. If you start to believe this when you're a little kid, its a perception that becomes almost impossible to change until much much later in life.

I don't see how the affirmation of this fallacy can possibly constitute a "life lesson"

And self confidence/self respect is completely different to arrogance... one allows a person to have friends and pursue interests happily; the other obviously an undesirable trait, which I think bullying can actually promote ("I shouldn't listen to their taunts because I am better than them")

and has made you a stronger person (for example, you don't determine your value based on the opinions of others).

So in other words... bullying is a good thing.
Not really... bullying was the thing that made me start to determine my value on the opinions of others, because it was their opinions that made my life either enjoyable or unbearable. Essentially, I'm now just returning to my former position (i.e. before bullying) of self-evaluation.

aimhigh10

HSC
did anyone see that article in the paper today 'i married an ascham bully'??

ZaraKu

HSC
I know someone who went to Ascham, isn't that school full of your stereotypical "little rich daddy's girls"?

Yomo

HSC
exactly right.. little rich bitchy daddy's girls...whos beloved daddy's had to pull them out so theyy didnt get expelled

dickiie

Warm, wet and pink. Smells like fish too.
HSC
You have clearly never been bullied

Bullying is one of the worst possible things that can happen to a person in their formative years. I started school as a really self confident and intelligent kid, but for some reason I was perceived as an easy target, and got constantly bullied at school, in my sports team and at my next school.

Its taken me until now (1st year uni), despite ~4 years of no bullying in HS when everyone grows up a bit, to realise that I have defined talents and strengths, and am not really the hopeless person who I was made out to be.

Nevertheless, I've become a shy person who struggles to enter conversations because of years of suppressing thoughts that came into my head when chatting (for fear of being ridiculed after saying them). So my potential social life has been much reduced.

I still finished school with good marks, got into a uni course, and have achieved various things. So an outside person would not be able to perceive long lasting damage, as is the case with the vast majority of bullying victims. But that doesn't mean it isn't there, and won't take a few more years to repair, and with a large opportunity cost.
Do I smell arrogance and self-pity?

ZaraKu

HSC
Sounds like the Aussie version of Constance Billard (The girls school in Gossip Girl) lol. clearly these girls are so bored with their money and fancy northern suburbs lifestyles that they resort to pathetic bitching. Thank god I'm at uni and not fucking high school anymore.

Nickonaa

HSC
With the recent expulsion of a couple of Ascham girls because of cyber bullying in the news, I was wondering what everyones take on the cyber bullying problem is.

Our school has had several 'Gossip Girl' sites and a 'Burn Book' site and in recent days the school has been trying to take action against them, one site has been closed but there are still some up.

Does your school have a gossip girl or burn book site? and do you think that it is a big problem re cyber bullying?
wow...your school has that? our school doesnt luckily haha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)