Cycling? for dummies? (1 Viewer)

sirfeathers

HSC
Hey everyone,

I'm in Year 12 atm, planning to go to UNSW next year, and I live kindof close-ish but too far to walk (Inner-East). Because I live so close to the cbd and my school, for the last few years my main mode of transport has been my feet. But I still don't have my Ls, and it'll take me like 5 years to get my Ps probs because the only time we use the car is mum's 5min grocery shopping trips every weekend. Plus petrol prices are rising and rising, parents need the car, and I am poor.

So I was thinking...CYCLING! Because it's cheaper and simple and pretty fast and environmentally friendly, yes?

But also a good way to piss off drivers and get yourself impaled on car doors and things like that. Or so I gather, in Sydney anyway. (and you can't ride on the footpath, right?)

So any of you out there who cycle to school/uni/wherever, do you have any advice? About anything? I am an absolute novice just to remind you. Apart from the fact that I know how to ride a bike I know zilch about cycling (and even that I haven't done for a few years now)

I'm guessing that there are probably other cycling dummies like me who are considering this as a transport option but just don't how to get into it. ANYTHING AT ALL would be much appreciated.

Just as a guide some things I'd love to find out about are:

- buying bikes
- road rules and regulations
- essential gear
- safety
- common/ safe/ unsafe cycling routes
- how to "practice?"
- do you find it worthwhile? Or should I just get the bus?
- and anything else...

Zingy

HSC
how to cycle

get on bike

put left foot on left peddle

put right foot on right peddle

push on whichever foot feels comfortable

keep doing that with both feet going in a circular motion

until

you get really fast

then hit a pebble

then fly over the handle bars

then land on your head

and be a cabbage for the rest of your life

Bikes - Zingy.

sirfeathers

HSC
Zingy said:
how to cycle

get on bike

put left foot on left peddle

put right foot on right peddle

push on whichever foot feels comfortable

keep doing that with both feet going in a circular motion
Yes well I do know about that much.

Zingy said:
then land on your head

and be a cabbage for the rest of your life

Bikes - Zingy.
Unless you're cool and wear a helmet.

ASNSWR127

HSC
I suggest you join some sort of cycling club/somewhere that trains you in "advanced cycling" for a start

then make sure you have some good protection

and good anti-perspirant cos you are gonna stink in lectures! lol

Fathers

Banned
HSC
sirfeathers said:
Hey everyone,

I'm in Year 12 atm, planning to go to UNSW next year, and I live kindof close-ish but too far to walk (Inner-East). Because I live so close to the cbd and my school, for the last few years my main mode of transport has been my feet. But I still don't have my Ls, and it'll take me like 5 years to get my Ps probs because the only time we use the car is mum's 5min grocery shopping trips every weekend. Plus petrol prices are rising and rising, parents need the car, and I am poor.

So I was thinking...CYCLING! Because it's cheaper and simple and pretty fast and environmentally friendly, yes?

But also a good way to piss off drivers and get yourself impaled on car doors and things like that. Or so I gather, in Sydney anyway. (and you can't ride on the footpath, right?)

So any of you out there who cycle to school/uni/wherever, do you have any advice? About anything? I am an absolute novice just to remind you. Apart from the fact that I know how to ride a bike I know zilch about cycling (and even that I haven't done for a few years now)

I'm guessing that there are probably other cycling dummies like me who are considering this as a transport option but just don't how to get into it. ANYTHING AT ALL would be much appreciated.

Just as a guide some things I'd love to find out about are:

- buying bikes
- essential gear
- safety
- how to "practice?"
- and anything else...
I think you're best to buy a proper, good quality mountain bike, not one of those shonky $100 bikes from Big W. Nowadays they're really pretty cheap, and you might even be able to pick one up for free if you look in the right places.

I guess you'll also need some protective gear because you're going to have to ride on the road, and we all know how dangerous Sydney's roads can get. Maybe you can invest in a helmet, because any other protective gear will make you look :rofl: .

I think it's a pretty good idea. If I lived in proximity to the university I'm hoping to go to, I'd probably also cycle.

:)

HalcyonSky

HSC
cycling around sydney really isn't a good idea for an inexperienced rider, especially if you're female

ASNSWR127

HSC
sirfeathers said:
But I still don't have my Ls, and it'll take me like 5 years to get my Ps probs because the only time we use the car is mum's 5min grocery shopping trips every weekend.
sirfeathers said:
oh and BTW everyone fudge's their L's now with the 120 hours

PC

HSC
N/A
sirfeathers said:
- buying bikes
- essential gear
- safety
- how to "practice?"
- and anything else...
Hey, I'm the far eastern suburbs and I ride up to the lower north shore or out to Haberfield pretty much every day. Next term I'll be riding down to Hurstville for work. Started mainly for exercise, but it's cheap and often quicker than driving, and it's a great way to lose weight and stay fit! I've probably saved thousands of dollars in petrol alone over the last few years.

Buying bikes:
It's up to you. Get a few opinions. It'd suggest a road bike. Not a racing bike, not a mountain bike. Somewhere in between. Don't be thrown by the flash bikes with 4-digit price tags. You can get a decent bike for under $400. Avanti or Trek are pretty good.

Road rules and regulations:
The same as driving. Where a bike lane exists, you must use it. You're supposed to signal any intention to turn, but honestly a lot of the time, I can't be arsed because I'm more worried about keeping control of my bike.

Essential Gear:
A helmet, by legislation, and front and rear lights if you out at night. Luckily I'm not usually out too late. Riding a bike at 7pm in daylight is now the only reason why I like daylight saving. Apart from that nothing. Clothing wise I wear the cheapest worn out gear I can. No lycra for me. If I need to, I'll shower at the end.

Safety:
I ALWAYS keep an eye out for people opening car doors without looking. That's the main source of problems for me. And taxi drivers. They're f**wits. No hassle with buses or trucks. They're good. Do the right thing by them and they'll do the right thing by you.

Cycling Routes:
I basically stick to the main roads. Old/New South Head Road, Oxford Street, William Street, York & Clarence, Pacific Highway. When I ride, it's usually quite busy, so because the traffic is slow, it's actually pretty cool. If you're going to UNSW, I'd suggest the same thing. Stick to Anzac Parade. Between Moore Park Road and Alison Road there is a cycleway on either side (I think) away from the road. After that you're probably OK on the road.

Practice:
Start with a park or quiet streets near your place. Do laps. Then work up to some busier roads. You'll know when you're ready.

Worthwhile:
Definitely

Anonymous1

HSC
The other day I was minding my own business, driving behind a Skyline and wondering why he was going so slow. Some guy sticks his head out of the window (from the passenger side) and then the skyline speeds up and overtakes the poor guy on the bike in front of him. They then slow down align themselves with the bike, before the same guy with the dodgy haircut smacks the guy in the ass, knocking him of the bike.

Despite feeling sorry for the guy, it was bloody hilarious.

Anyway, the point of this story is to warn you of the dangers you may face.

But yeah, why not - ride your bike to uni.

It might get annoying, but it's all good - and there should be heaps of bike racks to lock up on.

Azreil

HSC
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/usingroads/downloads/sydney_parramatta_bikemap_p1.pdf

Buy a good lock and chain, take a change of clothes and a towel, always have a water bottle and your helmet. If you can stay on bike routes/in cycling lanes do so, if not, you have to be very, very aware and even that won't save you sometimes. Start riding at a park or somewhere quiet near your house. If you can find a club or some friends to ride with before you have to do it to get to uni every day, all the better. Be careful around gravel if you get a road bike :p

HSC
yeah stay on bike tracks when possible

if you are going to buy a new bike and use it every day i would say spend about 400 my friend just bought a really nice pushy for about that and it is really good and comfy to ride, at least then you will not be un-comfy.. like i am now after my 12km ride yesterday and so will the 10 or so people who came along.. invest in a good helmet and practice... get the person at the bike shop to teach you about gears e.t.c. when loooking for the right bike you should just be able to stand on your toes when in the seat, if it is too small it is difficult to pedal and you work twice as hard... as i learnt yesterday. I would go to a good bike shop and ask for advice on a bike for you..

an idea might be one of those bags with the water bag in them and the tube so you can drink while you ride too.

safety equipment.. helmet.. and remember that if you drop it hard or have a fall on your head it is useless and need to buy a new one.

crestor

HSC
Just a few question to the OP...

How far are you planning on riding?
Do you have any idea of how much/what you will need to carry for uni?
Will you be riding in all kinds of weather, rain, hail and shine?

- buying bikes What is your price range, and also depends on distance

- road rules and regulations The same as a car, although you must stick to a bike lane if there is one. Just try to stick as far left as possible and never assume a driver has seen you because they probably have not.

- essential gear - Helmet, lights if night or early morning and also if raining, glasses are also important if at the times your riding when the glare is on your face
- safety ^^

- how to "practice?" - In a quiet street, or a park etc. Just keep on riding until your confidence builds up

- do you find it worthwhile? Or should I just get the bus? Definately worthwhile, no petrol, fun, get fit, loose weight if your fat, all good

Last edited:

sirfeathers

HSC
Thanks so much everyone for all the info!

crestor said:
How far are you planning on riding?
From where I live to UNSW it's about 5km I'm guessing, a little bit down Oxford St and then pretty much straight down Anzac Pde.

crestor said:
Do you have any idea of how much/what you will need to carry for uni?
um nope. A laptop plus whatever books and stuff you need to bring, I'm planning on doing a pretty general Arts/Science program so I guess the amount of books depends on what the specific courses I choose are.

crestor said:
Will you be riding in all kinds of weather, rain, hail and shine?
Definitely only good weather and daylight to begin with, anyway. I'd be way too paranoid to go out in the raging elements.

HalcyonSky said:
cycling around sydney really isn't a good idea for an inexperienced rider, especially if you're female
Why more so for females? Harder to get up to speed or something?

ASNSWR127 said:
I suggest you join some sort of cycling club/somewhere that trains you in "advanced cycling" for a start
Azreil said:
If you can find a club or some friends to ride with before you have to do it to get to uni every day, all the better.
yup I seem to remember that UNSW has a bike club. I'll be interrogating them at o-week next year as well;)

crestor

HSC
Considering it is 5km so long as you do not have alot of books and whatnot a backpack should suffice, but if not you will need to look into a bike that you can mount racks onto to carry your stuff.

Also being a short distance you will not need a road bike unless you want to go fast (assuming not), but do not go to stingy, you get what you pay for but a entry level mountain bike without suspension, you dont need it, will suffice

Not riding in the rain cancels out a whole lot of equipment.

I have no idea why for females it would be harder, I am a guy so I do not know but apart from the speed it should all pretty much the same.

Umm anything else?

Last edited:

sirfeathers

HSC
crestor said:
Umm anything else?
Arrr actually yes. Just because it's been mentioned so much, what are the physical differences between road bike and mountain bikes? I'm guessing that the gear things are different so that you get more power per pedal out of the mountain bike, but anything else? Is one more versatile or generally more expensive than the other?

(btw thanks for all the help so far:))

crestor

HSC
sirfeathers said:
Arrr actually yes. Just because it's been mentioned so much, what are the physical differences between road bike and mountain bikes? I'm guessing that the gear things are different so that you get more power per pedal out of the mountain bike, but anything else? Is one more versatile or generally more expensive than the other?

(btw thanks for all the help so far:))
With the power per pedal thing, I dont understand. Road bikes have a higher gearing so that means that it is harder to pedal but you will roll further ie you go faster. However a mountain bike due to it's nature of 'mountains' will need to be able to go up hill so it will have lower gearing that enables it to climb easier....if that makes sense

Road bikes are built for speed and mountain bikes can do basically everything else, they are extremeley versatile with so many different types

A road bike are those ones that the guys in the tour de france ride,

• they have little skinny tyres which mean you can ride faster,
  • the frames are generally lighter and again the bike is thus quicker,
  • usually you have drop handle bars (see picture) which make you more aerodynamic - speed / but it also puts more pressure on your back and is not as comfortable as flat bars (mountain bikes)
  • no suspension like some mountain bikes have but for your purpose this has no effect
I don't know how to attach the picture directly so here is two links
http://dunningrb.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/trek_road_bike.jpg

http://www.edupics.com/mountain-bike-t7067.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)