Cycling? for dummies? (2 Viewers)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
i got a compromise and got a flat bar road bike with suspension and mountain bike groupset (think they call it a hybrid)...it's served me well so far :)

sirfeathers

HSC
crestor said:
With the power per pedal thing, I dont understand. Road bikes have a higher gearing so that means that it is harder to pedal but you will roll further ie you go faster. However a mountain bike due to it's nature of 'mountains' will need to be able to go up hill so it will have lower gearing that enables it to climb easier....if that makes sense
yep that's what I meant. thanks a lot

nishan--- said:
so um.

are you fucking retarded?
me? no. calm down, buddy

sirfeathers

HSC
nishan--- said:
calm u fucken mum u calling me stupid or some shit gook? open u fucking eyes.. o wait you cant, your a chink

lol
i think i'll let that speak for itself. i'm not calling anyone "fucking retarded", at least

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
- buying bikes
Go to a bikeshop and tell them that you want something for commuting and what your price-range is. Maybe look in the trading post and local paper too. DO NOT EVER buy a k-mart/department store bike.
- road rules and regulations
You must obey all road rules as if you were in a car or motorbike. Like a motorbike you can ride in bus lanes (but not Bus Only lanes like the one along Anzac Parade)
- essential gear
Helmet, comfy shorts, front and back lights in case its dark/rainy. Probably invest in a High-Vis vest/top.
- safety
Stay alert and don't be stupid. Don't rely on people to avoid you.
- common/ safe/ unsafe cycling routes
There is a bike track pretty much all the way from Taylor Square to UNSW, Since not many people walk along there I would ride on the footpath. Only go on the road through kensington where there are those cafes and stuff
- how to "practice?"
Go to centennial park and ride around until you're tired. Go home and do it again the next day.
- do you find it worthwhile? Or should I just get the bus?
I have ridden to UNSW a few times from Ashbury which is about 14 km, depending on the route I take. I can do that in 30-40 minutes if I really try. It's alot quicker than public transport and AS quick as a car (depending on traffic). I don't do it normally because I don't want to be sweaty and smelly in class. Usually if I have to go in to uni in the holidays for any reason.
- and anything else...
Get a good solid bike lock and a chain to put through the wheels.

Last edited:

sirfeathers

HSC
Riet said:
- essential gear
Helmet, comfy shorts, front and back lights in case its dark/rainy. Probably invest in a High-Vis vest/top.
so you don't need a whole change of clothes or anything?

HSC
yeah might be handy if you are going to get all sweaty to have a change of clothes so you do not stink or if you get too dirty

inasero

Reborn
HSC
usually unis have showering facilities so you can bring a change of clothes...if you're not too fussy about wearing different clothes every day you might consider leaving the clothing in a locker and changing it every few days.

also if you're looking at getting into it buy a short sleeve jersey and add arm warmers for the colder weather instead of buying a full long-sleeve jersey- it'll save you money.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
sirfeathers said:
so you don't need a whole change of clothes or anything?
It's really up to you, whenever I ride somewhere it's mainly for the exercise and so I just assume I'll be a bit smelly until I get home and shower. If you're going to have to sit in lectures for a few hours, yeh, a whole change of clothes would probably be better.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
Just a few things -
* Make sure you have a proper bag of some description (with two shoulder straps). I find the satchel type bags slide around the body (hit your legs) and make it really hard to ride.
* If you know you're riding in bad light - consider investing in a high visability vest. Yes you look like a massive douche, but it's better than having some north shore mum spread your body over the road like peanut butter just because she couldn't see you.
* Ride at your own pace, don't feel like you have to keep up with cars.
* Don't get scared by other drivers. Some people will try and intimidate you.
* Don't ride in the gutter. Alot of people say "ride on the left hand side, close to the end", but i reckon it's safer to ride in the middle of the left lane. Why? because when cars overtake you, if you're in the gutter they try and 'sneak' past and they will bump you. If you take up 'most' of the lane, they have to change lanes to overtake.
* In the city, most of the time you'll be able bus lanes, so use them :)

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
I also bought a 'high vis (dark orange) backpack with reflective panels. It looks pretty cool (doesn't look too dorky). During the day it makes me a bit more noticible from behind (and i don't wear the high-vis vest). At night i have an array of lights from kathmandu (actually atm they have 50% of everything - so a great time to grab that sort of stuff)

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
Oh 2 other things
1) i'd go mountain bike over road bike (a reasonable quality one too, not just a bigw bike) because the thin wheels can break if you jump down a gutter. GEtting double walled tires is also good because they won't pierce as easily too.
2) 5km isn't really alot, and well you can probably get away with not taking a change of clothes (i do this almost daily). However, sports shoes is a must. The only time i've needed to change clothes is when its hot, wet, muddy etc

Also, apply for a locker at uni. So you don't have to lug books & gym clothes around all day. At our uni, you can get lockers at the sports center, library, and at most faculties (you get given a 'microscope locker' or something, but it only takes up one shelf)

PS - Kathmandu sale ends sunday.

Last edited:

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Dude, being able to ride like 50% faster makes up for not being able to jump down gutters. Main thing is a proper roadie costs a fair bit more than a "mountain" bike, but because of all the poseurs you can usually pick up an almost new one for a good discount.

crestor

HSC
Davo1111 said:
Oh 2 other things
because the thin wheels can break if you jump down a gutter. .
No, just wrong.

Do you even own a road bike? The wheels will not break by jumping up and down the gutter and over potholes etc, so long as your not a spastic

Although I agree with the rest of your post, get a mountain bike, if possible without and suspension , it just isnt needed. You also might want to look at changing the seat, most stock seats are shitty and uncomfortable and also the pedals they are usually pretty crap.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
crestor said:
No, just wrong.

Do you even own a road bike?
I'm just repeating what happened to a mate of mine about a month ago. He had a road bike that was worth a few grand, he loaned it to a mate to try it (who was giving it a test ride), first gutter, the front rim bent in. Before you hit the defensive and say it was a one off or a shit bike or something - that's what happened, so i'm only repeating it. From memory the wheels were worth $500 too. But anyway, i digress - that's why i wouldn't want to buy a road bike - i am heavy-ish and i abuse the crap out of my current bike.

Crestor is right about the limited suspension thing - I've got a hard tail and i've ridden a bike with dual and it's just a pain. Buying a non-BigW bike will usually solve the seat thing

Last edited:

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
I like hard tails, even for fire trails and stuff. But seriously, even front suspension isn't really necessary. If she's only riding from the city to UNSW I'd just want a really light standard kinda bike.

If it was me I'd get a fixie, since there aren't even any hills there, but they aren't for everyone.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
^ second that, suspension is usually unnecessary unless you plan to take the bike off road or jump gutters...

i've got suspension but i lock it out most of the time as i don't use it anyway

crestor

HSC
I love my fixie but for what is really a novice rider I would not recommend one, maybe a single speed with a fixed, single speed hub, so you can switch between?

Hard-tails are so much fun too, so much more feel for the trail, ohh Im going for a ride now ........

osamabanana

HSC
Cycling as a way of getting around is a great thing to do. Go down to a reputable bike store and tell them what you want to do with it and they should be able to help you out. If you do get a mountain bike which id suggest is a good idea unless you want to be spending >$1000 put slick or semi slick road tyres on it and it will make ur journey much easier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)