Cycling on the Road (1 Viewer)

akrinis

HSC
What are some basic road rules for cyclists who ride on the road? And can a cyclist ride in front of a motorist?

akrinis

HSC
sure can, if you are a tossbag
Excuse me for being cautious in case I get swiped by the unexpected drain on the far left of the lane.

And by NSW Law, I'm allowed to take up a whole lane to myself if I need to.

Last edited:

CIV1501

Banned
HSC
the law is exactly the same as it is for car drivers akaik

Pace_T

HSC
theyre so annoying. arghhh they can cause accidents.

akrinis

HSC
theyre so annoying. arghhh they can cause accidents.
How? Some drivers just don't pay attention, or are too busy talking on their cell phones to notice bicyclists. And a lot of driving manuals don't actually cover the law in relation to cyclists. Sometimes when you give hand signals, drivers don't know what they are.

the law is exactly the same as it is for car drivers akaik
Taken from the RTA NSW website:

Cyclists also have some special rights, which include:

• Riding two abreast, no more than 1.5 m apart
  • Travelling to the front of a line of traffic on the left hand side of the stopped vehicles
  • Travelling in Bus Lanes and Transit Lanes. However, cyclists cannot travel in Bus Only Lanes
  • Travelling on the footpath where indicated by signage
  • Cycling on the footpath if the cyclist is less than 12 years old. An adult, who is riding in a supervisory capacity of a cyclist less than 12 years old, may also ride with the young cyclist on the footpath
  • Turning right from the left hand lane of a multi-lane roundabout with the proviso the cyclists must give way to exiting traffic

Last edited:

08er

HSC
Excuse me for being cautious in case I get swiped by the unexpected drain on the far left of the lane.

And by NSW Law, I'm allowed to take up a whole lane to myself if I need to.
you will be pleasantly surprised then

quik.

HSC
If you stay aware of your surroundings and don't act like a douche (running reds because you're a bicycle = douche, etc) you will be taking the biggest steps for safety imo.

Make sure to keep a tyre repair kit and all that good stuff on you.

If you do travel on the footpath and it has pedestrians on it, slow down.

If the road doesn't allow you to keep to the shoulder SAFELY (shoulder is useless if it's full of glass and other crap that might fuck your shit up), then use the lane. Obviously this is a pretty horrible idea if the road is anything but slow speed limits, if you end up in the lane on a high speed piece of road you will frustrate motorists and you need to plan your routes better.

I'm pretty sure there's a cycling forum or two out there that will have much more specific advice, and from people who actually do this everyday.

Stay safe

F2001

HSC
How? Some drivers just don't pay attention, or are too busy talking on their cell phones to notice bicyclists. And a lot of driving manuals don't actually cover the law in relation to cyclists. Sometimes when you give hand signals, drivers don't know what they are.

Taken from the RTA NSW website:

go to the CBD in peak.
Bikes use the rd (and as mentioned must follow road rules)... but I see them running red lights on the road lol.

I've seen many times they jump on to footpaths basically into a crowd of pedestrians to bypass a red light/traffic situation also.

Keepleft

HSC
N/A
The UN Convention on Road Traffic prohibits cycles (& pedestrians, tractors and horse-drawn vehicles) from 'MOTORWAY' class roads, this includes provided emergency stopping lanes.

The Commonwealth of Australia is a contracting party to the 1949' Gazz53 Convention of same, it is also from this document that much of our basic road law is derived; by our 'contracting legal requirement'.

Some freeway class roads therefore have signs prohibiting cycles etc from entering that roadway. Over time and with the impact of PC inspired measure, state public servants and GovCo elected MP's simply 'forget' where the requirement to restrict cycles arrived from, and so 'opened up' many freeways for cyclists.

Suffice to say, I expect more motorway class roads to again, have prohibition signs re-posted at the start point/entry ramps of aforesaid roads - where these have over the years been removed.

If a person is involved with a crash involving a cyclist on such a road category, the person is advised to seek legal redress from the state, with a view of punitive damages.

boris

Banned
HSC
Fuck the UN hey

Bunch of nigger coon faggots

Pretty sure we have some of the lowest accident rates out of the UN members anyway

Also some citations would be handy

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Well, I'd have to say that cyclists on roads such as the M7, travelling in lane or shoulder, are total idiots and deserve whatever fate they get.

imsopostmodern

cool as a kuhncumber
HSC
i'm wondering why you've created this thread after you've already checked out the rules on the rta website...?

pman

Banned
HSC
As a Cyclist who has raced nationals for both road and MTB, I understand the problems encounted by drivers on the road. as a cyclist, u can use motorways as long as u stay in the breakdown lane. if i were to ride on the road when there was a shoulder (i never ride on the footpath, this is dangerous and illegal) i would try to do the speed limit, i admit that i have used the right lane on the princes highway on a bike but in my defence, we were overtaking cars in the left lane and getting held up by those in the right lane (it was only a 60km/h zone and we were sprinting). my most major piece of advice is to stay off the footpath, between my sister and myself, we have ridden probably 100,000 hours on the road and maybe 2-300 on the footpath, we have had three crashes involving cars, 2 of these were on the footpath. other useful things to pay attention to are:
-Never run a red light if u can avoid it.
-If u ride in a bunch, stay together.
-Don't let cars come alongside you into roundabouts, it is dangerous.
-Ride a road bike and wear appropriate clothes (ie. jersy and nix), cars respect u more
-if u are taking up a lane, try to do the speed limit.
-stay behind cars at red light, once they are around you, they stay around you.
Edit: Part of the reason cyclists get a bad name on the road is a crash last year, a bunch that i frequently ride with road into the back of a car that was angry becouse we took up a lane, he race around in front of us and slammed on the breaks, the media jumped on the story and crucified the cyclists. Even after the driver was told by the supreme court to pay over $0.5 million for damaged bikes and equipment (please not, 70 bike were written off, some of which worth as much as 15 grand). The crash cost one member of our bunch a spot on the beijing olympic team

Last edited:

pman

Banned
HSC
go to the CBD in peak.
Bikes use the rd (and as mentioned must follow road rules)... but I see them running red lights on the road lol.

I've seen many times they jump on to footpaths basically into a crowd of pedestrians to bypass a red light/traffic situation also.
Most of these people are in fact not cyclists but cycle couriers. they have completly different attitudes to those training on the road

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
i'm wondering why you've created this thread after you've already checked out the rules on the rta website...?
because real people have real experience in real life situations which can be passed onto other real people to use in real life situations to gain real experience

boris

Banned
HSC
The RTA are a bunch of cock hungry cum guzzlers, take nothing they say literally.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
As a driver, I try to respect and give space to cyclists (and motorcyclists), as long as they respect the road rules (and SO MANY do not) and the fact that I am driving something that weighs orders of magnitude more than a human on a road bike, and have limitations thus in agility and decceleration.

As I try to respect and not do stupid things around semis and road trains, cyclists also need to have respect for cars. Riding on the shoulder/emergency stopping land of the M7, popping out seemingly from nowhere when cars are travelling at 90-110km/h (if they go the speed limit), is not responsible nor respectful cycling behaviour, just as not allowing a road train to overtake you on interstate roads is not responsible or respectful behaviour.

pman

Banned
HSC
If cyclists got some respect, the minority that break the rules would decrease in number, i noticed that on the weekend, most cars failed to indicate before changing lanes. an a particular stop sign near my house, almost no-one stops at, these cars are not obeying the rules either

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)