Cycling on the Road (1 Viewer)

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Yeah, and I hate them too. That doesn't change the fact that on the scale of "survival of the fittest" on our roads, cyclists < cars < big fucking massive trucks. It doesn't matter if that truck is speeding and being an arsehole on the road - are you going to argue with it for the sake of principle?

pman

Banned
HSC
In the last 2 years, only one cyclist has died on the road and actually been at fault, over 30 have died with the driver at fault that i know of.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
And what counts as "at fault"? If a driver hits a pedestrian that they didn't see and that popped out suddenly out of nowhere (like, say, from behind a tree or a sign), they're still legally "at fault", even if they were travelling at the speed limit and took all usual precautions.

pman

Banned
HSC
The people i ride with do the right thing 99% of the time, i will admit that occaisonly the rear end of our bunch runs a light when there are over 100 of us

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Well great. Good for your group, except the idiots who run lights. That doesn't mean I'm not going to treat every cyclist on the road as a potential hazard, as I treat motorcyclists.

walkahz

HSC
When i ride down to work i use common sense. I stay out of cars way because it will fucking hurt if one hits me. I just ride as close to the gutter as possible. and stay out the way.

jb_nc

Google &quot;9-11&quot; and &quot;truth&quot;
HSC
N/A
Well great. Good for your group, except the idiots who run lights. That doesn't mean I'm not going to treat every cyclist on the road as a potential hazard, as I treat motorcyclists.
lol idiot woman driver

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Atleast motorcyclists go a proper speed; hate when there are cyclists on a 100 km/h road.
Cool fact: Lane splitting on a motorcycle is illegal, but not even cops care.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I'm pretty sure the law explicitly stating that failed to pass against overwhelming lobbying and opposition. It's a gray area, you may be charged under some regulation that loosely is extended to lane splitting, but you don't have to be.

I don't see the problem with cyclists running red lights. I can see how it could be a necessary, defensive move at times. So long as they do it with their eyes open and aren't passing in front of any cars. I run across streets when the "don't walk" is displayed, because I can see what the traffic is doing and it's a waste of time to wait. It's their safety, their responsibility, they can look after themselves.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
I'm pretty sure the law explicitly stating that failed to pass against overwhelming lobbying and opposition. It's a gray area, you may be charged under some regulation that loosely is extended to lane splitting, but you don't have to be.

I don't see the problem with cyclists running red lights. I can see how it could be a necessary, defensive move at times. So long as they do it with their eyes open and aren't passing in front of any cars. I run across streets when the "don't walk" is displayed, because I can see what the traffic is doing and it's a waste of time to wait. It's their safety, their responsibility, they can look after themselves.
Really? Skipping across a set of lights after filtering past a bunch of cars that just overtook you is safe?

The difference between a bike and a motorbike is that the motorbike wont get overtaken again once it filters, a bike tops out at what, 30k, maybe 50 if they're going for it? I must be missing something if I see how cars having to overtake the same cyclist on every block is safer than them waiting it out at the back of the line.

Not to mention having to get past one is annoying as fuck.

pman

Banned
HSC
We don't filter around cars, we move in very large bunches that act as 1 vehicle, this increases our visability, as such, if the front of a bunch has gone through a green light, the rest will keep going even if the light goes red. we do not then filter around cars as there cannot physically be a car in front of us, we have used our lane and the car wouyld have to wipe out about 50 cyclists to enter our lane (this has happened before). Cars complain that we ride to closely together, i realise we are suppost to leave 1m to the next cyclist but this would halve our speed and triple our length (ie. we would take up 180 Metres of lane instead of 60). My bunch is not "really going for it" yet we maintain a speed above 50km/h, we have been clocked by police in excess of 120km/h. this means cars complaining that we are slow is not valid as we are capable of speed just as high as them. we often ride the last 15km of our ride nat a min speed of 80 km/h in an 80km/h zone. I will admit that cycle couriers do filter through traffic but we start our ride just before sunrise and are off the road by 9am, i actually have time to have a shower before attending church on a sunday morning.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Fair enough, but its still a huge issue, and lets face it, they all do it. to pman, my issue isn't with those huge groups of pro cyclists that roam the streets in packs, its joe everyman that thinks he's entitled to a lane (which I don't dispute he is) then turns around to only abide the laws they want to.

Either way if you're a tool on the road theres 4 millions cars that'll be only too happy to knock you off.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Clocked by police doing 120? lol wtf are were you behind Lance Armstrong on an Alpine decent? If that was the case the cops should have booked you all for speeding.

boris

Banned
HSC
over 100km/h isnt unachieveable downhill with a tailwind. i still call bullshit though

pman

Banned
HSC
With over 100 guys going flat out with deep rim wheels, and the front guys continuesly peeling of, you gain the effect of a giant windblock. we then push upto 8 metre gearing (1 rev sends u 8 metres), about twice the size of ur average bmx at up to 180rpm, depending on ur exact gear ratio. this guys can spin at 3-400rpm unloaded. also they cannat book us as they need a photo of the number plate through the speed camera, with the speed shown, as we have no number plates, the charges would not stand up in court

quik.

HSC
Depends on the cop, if they got some last night, etc.

Can book you for passing on the left or something. Sometimes run crackdowns, there was one a bit before christmas if I remember correctly. Either way, if cops are around, no silly buggers is the rule I go by.

Kwayera, you say you treat motorcyclists and cyclists as hazards (rightly so and props for even noticing them), do you treat cars the same? Just curious.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)