Damn English (1 Viewer)

Collin

HSC
N/A
Man I really hate english. I used to go really well in it but in the end I knew id slump because i simply dont like it and have no motivation for it.
I mean, i had all my UAI planned out.. 4u maths, phy, chem, SDD... but ohhhhh no english just HAD to be compulory.. worse.. it HAS to count for UAI.
I dunno bout you but my UAI is gonna def be a bit of a slump since english just has to count for it.
Damn english.. anyone else thinks it should not be compulsory? :chainsaw:

Garick

I do, but i understand why it is.
im not complaining, finished course content today! now lots of revision time.

i hate english being compulsory, thats why im doing standard and not advanced. But without all the essay writing im being forced to do in english, i think id be pretty screwed come HSC time.

Insomniac

i hate english as well ... essays really shit me
we gotta write 4-5 essays for english alone ...

kinda the same reason why i hate economics ...
why, oh why did i chose economics? the content is so boring as well, i'm always fallin asleep ...
but i digress,
i'd drop english and eco in a hurry, but it doesn't help that i'm doin pretty well in those subjects

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
i dun hate english, i just suck at it, esp. advanced.... *hopes ext1 will pull the english mark up*

pri

HSC
N/A
english keeps my UAI alive, just mem. the main essay and ur rite, maths on the other hand... it will kill me in the end

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
English and Maths are like the opposite sides of the same coin (HSC)... or maybe the same side of two similar coins... or something like that... either way, the coins will get tossed and somehow you will lose one side or another..

Rahul

Dead Member
wat if u dont 'toss' the coin, so to speak and try hard, get help, put in extra time, there is no reason why EVERYONE cant go well, but dont do that beacuse i am doing english too;)

Collin

HSC
N/A
I don't really understand why its compulsory. In my opinion 2u maths would be just as important in life as english in terms of jobs etc.
For me, I intend to go into fields which are more science or computing related, hence making english even more irrelevant. You should only be made to do english if you suck at it so much that your sentences and grammar don't make sense or that your spelling is atrocious. Otherwise if they make English compulsory, so should maths.

Garick

Originally posted by Frigid
English and Maths are like the opposite sides of the same coin (HSC)... or maybe the same side of two similar coins... or something like that... either way, the coins will get tossed and somehow you will lose one side or another..
what if the coin lands on its side? Or some freak occurance splits the coin in half, allowing both sides to face up? ahh, i love a world where everything has a chance.

there are 2 reasons english is compulsory.
One is for people from overseas who could get a perfect exam score, but dont speak a word of english. Making it compulsory means they have to know how to speak the language, or will at least be able to communicate at a basic level.
Why not just make it compulsory for overseas students you say? because thats is as bad as giviing them the finger. The playing field is supposed to be level. so if a course has to be compulsory for one group of people, it has to be compulsory for everyone.

The second reason is a bit iffy, but still relevent. English allows you to learn essay writing skills and improve your writing speed. now, essays may suck, but should be in almost every HSC exam, so the extra practice you get in english helps to get your marks that little bit higher.

In conclusion, i think english is terrible but necesary, and you should all give me a dollar.

muldersgun

HSC
english you can bullshit

maths you have to study for

but then if you're a crappy bullshitter and a serial procrastinator... well then you're screwed both ways.

school sucks period (well right now anyway)

is a roflcopter
HSC
frigid says that because he is only good at english and sucks at maths hehee :D

in our school, there are those who land the coin with both sides up :D
CHEATERS!

freakofcool

I totally agree with u! My Eng marks were actually OK in the earlier years of high school but now... well, let's just say I don't think my UAI will be what I want, and it's not helping when some of my other subs have shocking half-yearly marks! Oh well, I'm not gonna stress bout it! :eek:

Collin

HSC
N/A
'The second reason is a bit iffy, but still relevent. English allows you to learn essay writing skills and improve your writing speed. now, essays may suck, but should be in almost every HSC exam, so the extra practice you get in english helps to get your marks that little bit higher.'

That really depends on what subjects your doing. English is the only subject I do which requires essays. Even if essay skills do improve my marks in other subjects, my actual mark for english itself will still tend to be lower than other subjects hence in terms of overall marks, english still drags down.

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
then there are those weirdos who do 4u english and 4u maths, and do brilliantly at both... a freind of mine at college did that, but then she did, like, ext french and ext history as well, so she's not really a proper person. :p

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
Well i agree that english should be compulsory, even though I'm not a particularly big fan of it... I'm stating the obvious but we do live in Australia, i guess the Edu. Dept want us all to develop English skills, we can't really have students that have poor English analytical and expressional skills going into Uni.

For u guys who r complaining, at our school Advnced English is compulsory (except those who do ESL)...There no Std English available.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Hehehe, that's why it's sooo good that you can actually do ESL english, they don't really mark your grammar and ALL those conventions of language in the HSC. Therefore, you write in crap english and still gets high mark, as long as you know your texts.
:)

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
seriously man!!! english is my worst and hardest subject at skool.......but wat can we do????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)