DART in a manual (1 Viewer)

elisabeth

HSC
Just a few quick questions for the people who passed their test in a manual -

Is stalling (on a normal street while driving) an instant fail item? I've heard it is, but another person told me it's only if you stall whilst doing your kerbside stop/hill start.

When you get in the car and it's in first gear, is this the right order to go: put it in neutral, engine on, then put it in first or reverse? Or does it go engine on, put in neutral and then in gear?

Anything else to watch out for when you do it in a manual?

Thanks everyone

Mattamz

HSC
stalling isnt an instant fail. i had a mate you stalled three times before leaving the rta coz of nervers and still passed.

when i went for my test i did the whole putting in neutral then starting thing, even thou i normally jst whack my foot on the clutch. and passed

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
elisabeth said:
Just a few quick questions for the people who passed their test in a manual -

Is stalling (on a normal street while driving) an instant fail item? I've heard it is, but another person told me it's only if you stall whilst doing your kerbside stop/hill start.

When you get in the car and it's in first gear, is this the right order to go: put it in neutral, engine on, then put it in first or reverse? Or does it go engine on, put in neutral and then in gear?

Anything else to watch out for when you do it in a manual?

Thanks everyone
I stalled when i took off from the kerb side park but i didnt stress and just did it slower the next time.

I have nfi what you are talking about with starting the car, why the hell would you put it in neutral.

it goes like this clutch in - turn key - release clutch as you accelerate to take off, or alternatively before you release clutch put it in reverse, then release it.

j_davo24

HSC
Serius said:
I stalled when i took off from the kerb side park but i didnt stress and just did it slower the next time.

I have nfi what you are talking about with starting the car, why the hell would you put it in neutral.

it goes like this clutch in - turn key - release clutch as you accelerate to take off, or alternatively before you release clutch put it in reverse, then release it.
Umm coz the learners handbook says so... Everyone knows you aren't going to drive like that but you could've at least looked at the book. It's on one of the first few pages.

Zozo6969

HSC
car should b parked with it in 1st and e brake on. it goes clutch in > neutral > clutch out > start car > indicate > check blind spots and mirrors > 1st gear > handbrake off while lifting clutch off and putting down throttle.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Zozo6969 said:
car should b parked with it in 1st and e brake on. it goes clutch in > neutral > clutch out > start car > indicate > check blind spots and mirrors > 1st gear > handbrake off while lifting clutch off and putting down throttle.
You have no idea what you are talking about. What is the point in going from 1st gear then to neutral than back to first?

i have been driving longer than you, everyone who is a decent driver does it like i do. If the book says to do it that way, the book is wrong and you wont lose marks doint it the real way.

goodluck.

Zozo6969

HSC
ur a fukd cunt mate i dont give a shit if uve been driving longa than me u dunno shit about me. fuk man im in motorsport and i have been driving cars since i was fukcing 12. i did the test 10 months ago, and u gotta start the damn car when the gearstick is in neutral u cockhead.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
do you do that in motorsport? i wouldnt want to be your partner...

and was that driving cars or kar(t)s? i have a cousin that was driving trucks at 12. that doesnt mean he knows more than me.

and just to let you know, i used to own an excel which would only turn on if you had your foot on the clutch. if clutch out means take your foot off the clutch then you are the fool, not Serius, cos that means that i would have looked like a total retard when i tried to turn the car on and it wouldnt turn on.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
lol the handbook + fail sheet (YEAH DAWG I GOT ONE, it was only a stop sign) say you're meant to start in neutral, even though nobody fucking does that shit irl.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
k im a noob, dont take my head off.

theres actually a mechanical advantage to starting in neutral as opposed to clutching in first? i thought it wouldnt make a difference seeing as the engine isnt engaged with the drivetrain in either scenario. =/

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Azamakumar said:
k im a noob, dont take my head off.

theres actually a mechanical advantage to starting in neutral as opposed to clutching in first? i thought it wouldnt make a difference seeing as the engine isnt engaged with the drivetrain in either scenario. =/
1. ....don't take your head off? was that aimed at me?

2. I don't know. I was told that you should start in neutral. I was reiterating this in thread.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
No I was talking to people in general, particularly ethnics, they seem to hate me.

I too was taught to start in neutral because my dad read the logbook when I got it, even though he always started in gear then slowly released the clutch, and now I do the same thing. Either way there would be no wear on the tranny right? That's pretty much all I'm worried about, forking out around 2k for a new clutch plate + bearings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)