Data (1 Viewer)

tamtheman

HSC
Can anyone explain the types of data to me? I know there qualitice, quantitative -> discrete and continuous. But what do they all mean?

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Quantitative is numbers
Discrete is not on a smooth scale 1 --> 2 --> 3. An example is the amount of people attending a football game (you cannot have 1.1 people)
Continuous is on a smooth scale 1.1 --> 1.2 --> 1.3. An example is the amount of rainfall collected in a tank (you can have 1.1 and 1.11)

Categorical is not numbers
Nominal is Not ordered because the first 2 letters are No which looks like Not. An example is someones favorite color of car (red does not come after blue for example, colors cannot be ordered)
Ordinal can be ordered because Ord looks like Order.

tamtheman

HSC
Thanks guys!
Where do systematic, random, and stratified sampling come into it?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks guys!
Where do systematic, random, and stratified sampling come into it?

There types of samples; i.e for collecting samples
stratified : these are layers of the population, divided into equal percentages/proportion with the characterisitcs

i.e
If there are 200 people, 170 are males, and 30 are female in the population

and we were only surveying 20 people, we would do 17 males, and 3 females as this is equal to the proportion they are in the actual population.

Systematic is ordered, i.e every 10th bottle on the production line you would check for a deficit

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
There types of samples; i.e for collecting samples
stratified : these are layers of the population, divided into equal percentages/proportion with the characterisitcs

i.e
If there are 200 people, 170 are males, and 30 are female in the population

and we were only surveying 20 people, we would do 17 males, and 3 females as this is equal to the proportion they are in the actual population.

Systematic is ordered, i.e every 10th bottle on the production line you would check for a deficit
mate band 6 we've got this

Master Singleton

The Night Owl
HSC
Uni Grad
mate band 6 we've got this
I've actually have done hundreds upon hundreds of pages of Mathematics General 2 questions and booklet upon booklets of past HSC General Math Exams so I'm confident with a band 6 but as you know little silly mistakes can be costly and could put you in Band 5 rather than in Band 6.

So reduce as many little silly mistakes as possible guys and gals.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)