davidgoes4wce Useful Maths Ext 1 Questions & Textbook Errata 2015-2016 (2 Viewers)

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Re: Mistakes from Text Book Thread

Grove Exercise 5.4 Q4 (a)

For odd functions, f(-x)=-f(x) for all values of x in the domain.

Grove's answer says its 'Neither', my answer is its ODD.

leehuan

HSC

Grove Exercise 5.4 Q4 (a)

For odd functions, f(-x)=-f(x) for all values of x in the domain.

Grove's answer says its 'Neither', my answer is its ODD.
HAHAHAHAHA.

I knew Grove was full of mistakes but that is bad.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

4 (a), the function is odd.

4(b), the function is even.

seanieg89

HSC

You realise how much of a pain this will be for people to actually read through if it get big and a student is usure if his book is correct?

I highly recommend someone just forms a central google doc for some sort of collaborative BoS errata for HS textbooks that do not have errata online.

After discussion/confirmation of solution to any question in this thread someone can just add it to the google doc. Seems more useful to others that way imo.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

Mistake from the New Century Maths General 2 by Bootsma et al

Q 2L , Exercise 2-01. The question asked to simplify :

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

General Maths question is wrong in the Trial Maths Prelim 2015 edition. It's a small mistake but still feel like its important to point it out.

For the 2010 Prelim paper MCQ Question 6

leehuan

HSC

You realise how much of a pain this will be for people to actually read through if it get big and a student is usure if his book is correct?

I highly recommend someone just forms a central google doc for some sort of collaborative BoS errata for HS textbooks that do not have errata online.

After discussion/confirmation of solution to any question in this thread someone can just add it to the google doc. Seems more useful to others that way imo.
Bumping this. I was just questioning how useful this thread would actually be, given the search required.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

I think having this thread is a good idea, as I previously posted 'potential mistakes' in the Marathon subjects which wasn't kind of useful.

This thread is useful potentially for authors to fix up their mistakes, students to spot the areas and for diligent people to look for errors when doing questions.

leehuan

HSC

I think having this thread is a good idea, as I previously posted 'potential mistakes' in the Marathon subjects which wasn't kind of useful.

This thread is useful potentially for authors to fix up their mistakes, students to spot the areas and for diligent people to look for errors when doing questions.
After 200 or more errors it will be WAY too hard to scroll through just to find YOUR mistake.

Whilst the marathon idea was more questionable, this has the flaw of way too much searching. The opening post should definitely include a monitored google doc or equivalent to indicate where the mistake is, and the relevant post number, or something similar.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

After 200 or more errors it will be WAY too hard to scroll through just to find YOUR mistake.

Whilst the marathon idea was more questionable, this has the flaw of way too much searching. The opening post should definitely include a monitored google doc or equivalent to indicate where the mistake is, and the relevant post number, or something similar.
I'm going to keep this thread going for the time being unless the Moderators want to close it.

I also think sometimes its a good learning tool for students to develop their own thinking to be able to not just agree with what any textbook says.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

Q1 (c) in Cambridge Year 12 Exercise 3D is wrong. The acceleration should be

The units is written slightly wrong.

leehuan

HSC

I'm going to keep this thread going for the time being unless the Moderators want to close it.

I also think sometimes its a good learning tool for students to develop their own thinking to be able to not just agree with what any textbook says.
I am not sure if you understand my point.

My point is, by just posting a ton of mistakes one at a time students will need to consistently search for the exact typo/mistake they require. This can be extremely tiring and off-putting as they have to read each individual post to know which mistake they want addressed.

I never said the idea of correcting textbooks is bad. I am saying that forcing the students to look hard to find the mistake they require is pointless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)