• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

days a week at uni (1 Viewer)

claref1989

HSC
Hi I want to do commerce/law and am unsure whether I want to do it at sydney or nsw if I get the marks. I wanted to know from people that actually go there how many days (on average) you have to go to uni per week. I have spoken to people from other unis doing law who can structure their timetable so that they can be at uni only a few days a week but haven't heard from any usyd or unsw people... any info would be great! thanks!

Rorix

HSC
usyd: first year, 4, 2-3rd year, 3, 4-5th year, 2

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
typically, 3-4 days a week. expect 15 hours worth of classes if you attend everything.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Frigid said:
typically, 3-4 days a week. expect 15 hours worth of classes if you attend everything.
Those hours are pretty standard for any law degree anywhere.
Keep in mind those days may not be full days however even though 14-15 hrs doesnt sound like a lot there is a lot of out of uni work involved.

Season

HSC
You can structure your timetable so you can have 2 days if you want, quite a few unis you can watch the lectures online and not even leave home... some people have full time jobs and organise it so their tuts and lectures are all before work/after work. Not only are they screwed in the head, but they attend most lectures. This goes not only for Law but for most courses (except dance drama medicine those sorts of ugly degrees)

You are expected to study in your free time of course :p

4 days a week is the norm though

I'd prefer Usyd honestly, cos its prettier.... and I'm not interested in commerce which seems to be nsw forte

= Jennifer =

HSC
you should not base your choice on what uni is "prettier" but rather whether it the course is everything that you wanted and that it gets you where you want to be because you are paying thousands of dollars for it

Season

HSC
^^ hope you read the second part of that sentence

That said, I do consider the enviroment I study in a high priority, especially since I'll most likely have to move and live there for a couple of years.

This is my impression
syd = criminal

nsw = commerce

uts = taxation

anu = international/public

etc. etc.

but lets face it, if you go to any of these unis, do well, you can pretty much do anything you want. They're all excellent degrees so I'm not worried too much about whether one course has a better rep then another, going to one of the these top unis, will get you where you want to go.

So yeah, it does come down for me to other factors- prettiness, co-curriculars, nice atmosphere, location etc., ie the fact uts is close patty's markets would be a factor :p.

money... well thanks to our system $40,000 isn't that much, especially when its completely tax free and you pay it back in a way that won't really affect your lifestyle that much. Compared to the US we have it very pretty indeed.

Rorix

HSC
Season said:
but lets face it, if you go to any of these unis, do well, you can pretty much do anything you want. They're all excellent degrees so I'm not worried too much about whether one course has a better rep then another, going to one of the these top unis, will get you where you want to go.
Don't believe the 'all unis are equal hype'. If you can get into UNSW or USYD, you should go to one of the two.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
All animals are equal but some are more equal than others Rorix?

However, RE: your impressions Season

ANU = Public Law/International Law
People think international law sounds great until they actually do it. Knowing the rules of treaty incorporation will be the only worthwhile thing you'll walk away with from international law. Perhaps our 'strength' in international law is only relative to that of other universities.

UNSW = Commerce
I don't see how UNSW's strength in commerce helps law students. I don't take solace in the fact that my university is great at science.

UTS = Tax
That's just one course.

Sydney = Criminal
You might be able to stretch criminal law out into two courses.

Anyway, my point is that an outsider's impression of a degree's strengths are often somewhat misguided. Even if the university is strong in those fields they will rarely make a significant impact upon your degree. If you get the UAI for law at UNSW or Usyd you really should only consider studying at another Australian university if you get a scholarship, if transportation is an issue or if that other university is really strong in the other degree that you want to take (i.e. ANU for Science/Eco/Philosophy, MAQ for actuarial).

Last edited:

claref1989

HSC
thanks guys.. this helps heaps... sydney and nsw are pretty evenly favoured for me and I was planning on basing my decision on which uni I would be at the least. I don't know why but I thought someone told me once that unsw is far easier to cram your lectures/tutorials into a couple of days as opposed to sydney?? anyone heard that???

claref1989

HSC
yes! is that true?? that is what I think I may have heard and that does not really appeal to me at all...

claref1989

HSC
But I seriously have nothing! There are so many reasons why I like sydney and so many reasons why i like nsw and the only thing I can think is that maybe at nsw I will have more days for my part-time job and less travelling there and back if I can do it in one hit etc etc....

Rorix

HSC
It's partially true. You do get 'given' a time table at USYD, but you can go in for changes. Anyone with half a brain (read: hopefully you, if you want to study law) can figure out what times to not have available to get the time table they want.

= Jennifer =

HSC
Season said:
^^ hope you read the second part of that sentence

That said, I do consider the enviroment I study in a high priority, especially since I'll most likely have to move and live there for a couple of years.

This is my impression
syd = criminal

nsw = commerce

uts = taxation

anu = international/public

etc. etc.

So yeah, it does come down for me to other factors- prettiness, co-curriculars, nice atmosphere, location etc., ie the fact uts is close patty's markets would be a factor :p.

much clearer now :p

claref1989

HSC
ok that's fine... i just thought they were totally inflexible with the timetable.. thanks heaps for your help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)