• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Dear Malcolm Turnbull: Take on Krudd or move aside and let someone else do the job (1 Viewer)

Should MT stay on as the opposition leader?

• Yes...just give him some time, he will do us good

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • No...there are obvious conflicting views...peronal vs party line

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Dont care. Both parties are shit and if in power the coalition would have Fd us over

Votes: 13 44.8%

• Total voters

redmayne

HSC
Re: Dear Malcolm Turnbull: Take on Krudd or move aside and let someone else do the jo

Hockey is not some evangelical Christian nutter in the fred nile form you goose. After Turnbull and Pyne Hockey is probably the most progressive man to hold a position on the frontbench since the Howard era. He is the one that threatened to resign if the Howard government returned to the original workchoices legislation once he became the minister for that portfolio. He is also one of the three coalition MP's whom had the courage to advise Howard to resign in 2007. Lumping him in the same group as Andrews, Abbott and Minchin is nuts. You might as well lump Mark Latham together with Stephen Smith, Wayne Swan and Stephen Conroy.
Okay!

But if he gets the leadership, he's gonna do whatever the Christian right want him to. He'll be their little moderate puppet.

He's hardly more progressive than Turnbull.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind him. But he's a bit of a nothing politician, as in he doesn't have anything to him. Sure he's a nice, smiling family man, but he's not leadership material.

Turnbull was the best thing to happen to the Libs since Howard, but now they've royally screwed that up.

Lentern

HSC
Re: Dear Malcolm Turnbull: Take on Krudd or move aside and let someone else do the jo

Not leadership material.

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A

Leadership is more than just charisma and intelligence. Unfortunately for Turnbull, he conveys an air of arrogance and self-interest, whilst lacking the political judgement of his opponent. Personally, I like the man. He would serve this country well, particularly on an international stage. However, at the moment, the electorate doesn't feel the same way.

As history has shown, Turnbull may still be the answer. If he possesses the political resilience, fortitude and determination of leaders past anything could happen. However, it may take one or two more electoral cycles before the image of the government weakens, and the real need for an alternative develops.

redmayne

HSC

Yep, not leadership material...

Wow they've stuffed this up.

Don't like Malcolm, so they'll send Kevin in, oh whoops that failed. Now let's try Tony, then Joe seems pretty good so he'll be the new guy. Nah we don't like him anymore, let's go back to Tony.

They might as well have stuck with Turnbull from the beginning. Hockey really isn't that different to him.

I dunno, I don't think Malcolm can do anything short of a miracle anymore. He's been admirably resilient and strong, but you can't stand up against that kind of opposition in your ranks.

I didn't mind him at all either, but he's a goner.

Hockey = Poor leader, weak

Abbott = Freak

Fish Tank

That guy
HSC

Where's Costello when you need him...

HSC
N/A

who ever voted option 1 is a dickhead

redmayne

HSC

who ever voted option 1 is a dickhead
Just putting this out there, but the voting options you presented were dickhead ones.

You wanna shove reasons in people's mouths for their choices.

You obviously love simplicity. So it should have been Yes, No, or Don't Care. There are so many different reasons for each of those possible answers.

So why is the person who chose option 1 a dickhead?

yoddle

is cool
HSC

What rubbish. You are reading far too much Mike Carlton or Peter Hartcher.

The christian right represents a small minority within the organisation, particularly the parliamentary party. The likes of Abbott and Andrews would not have been considered leadership material without the division in the party over the ETS.

This speech from George Brandis, although long, is quite interesting.
We believe: the Liberal party and the liberal cause | The Australian

I would argue that despite more prevalent social conservatism in recent times, the centrality of freedom to the philosophy of the party remains; it just needs to be rearticulated and reformulated. Having said this, the fusion of the conservative and liberal causes shouldn't preclude the party from utilising the liberal name.
I think a debate about whether they are "allowed" to use a word in their name is ridiculous. But as for your other points:

You can understand while he/she would think that socially conservative views dominant in the Liberal Party, when during the Howard leadership they predominated their social policy repertoire. You say that an undercurrent of liberalism runs underneath recent social conservatism, but if the members of the Liberal party strongly believed in this cause wouldn't there have been more tension and argument against Howard's social policies? He was the man who said he "tolerated the existence" of homosexuals, hardly a champion of individual rights. If it forms part of their philosophy then they would get some respect if they lived up to it.

Abbot has been referred to as leadership potential since back when they were in government, long before last week's blow up over the ETS.

In reference to these current developments, I think the advent of an Abbott leadership would be a degeneration into social conservatism, from Turnbull's more positive approach. Actually having said that I don't know so much about Abbott's philosophy.

Lentern

HSC

Where's Costello when you need him...
He had the good sense to realise you can be Philip Ruddock with thirty years in parliament, Malcolm Turnbull with a lifetime of non parliamentary achievements under his belt, Tony Abbott with people skills and senior ministerial experience, Brendan Nelson with the Howard legacy painted on you from head to toe, Peter Dutton with youth and ideas or Julie Bishop with experience, manners and breasts but you'd still lose by a fair margin at the 2010 election.

redmayne

HSC

Peter Dutton makes me vom.

EDIT: And don't worry, I'm not serious, precisely, about the name change. I just think their current name, looking at their policies and ideals today, is contextually misleading. Just making the point.

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

I like Hockey the least of the 3 lol. Theyre all good Catholics - even Andrews - but I think i'm gunning for Turnbull. Crazy-brave, doing the right thing etc. It's been great seeing how this has made him alive again. If Abbott somehow gets it, he'd need to persuade me an awful lot re climate change.

Lentern

HSC

I like Hockey the least of the 3 lol. Theyre all good Catholics - even Andrews - but I think i'm gunning for Turnbull. Crazy-brave, doing the right thing etc. It's been great seeing how this has made him alive again. If Abbott somehow gets it, he'd need to persuade me an awful lot re climate change.
And I'm sure next week you'll think something else altogether. Where does the man that credits his wife's survival with Jesus rank?

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

Unlike you Lentern, who "thins" nothing of any consequence, ever

Lentern

HSC

I work in a warehouse give me a break.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

What do u do m8?

Lentern

HSC

What do u do m8?
It's riveting I stack boxes onto a pallet. When it gets to a certain height i wrap the pallet with stretch wrap then start a new pallet. Occasionally when the more experienced blokes aren't there I get to drive the forklift.

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A

You can understand while he/she would think that socially conservative views dominant in the Liberal Party, when during the Howard leadership they predominated their social policy repertoire. You say that an undercurrent of liberalism runs underneath recent social conservatism, but if the members of the Liberal party strongly believed in this cause wouldn't there have been more tension and argument against Howard's social policies? He was the man who said he "tolerated the existence" of homosexuals, hardly a champion of individual rights. If it forms part of their philosophy then they would get some respect if they lived up to it.
I tend to agree. The conservative agenda certainly supersedes a liberal rights ideal.

However, is the latter conception of freedom (i.e. focused on rights) and thus liberalism essential for the party to be termed 'liberal'?. I don't believe so. It is such a broad ideal.

Although the party possesses significant conservative elements, the liberal tradition (in the context of primarily economic, negative liberty) still runs through the policy and platform of the party.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)