Debating things in circles on BOS (1 Viewer)

Are you tired of heated debates on BOS?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

BlackDragon

HSC
I am so tired of debating things in circles on BOS. It just doesn't get us anywhere, and is often quite heated. Why do we do it? Can't we talk about topics in a constructive, more relaxed way?

What do you think?

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
(1) Trolls abound

(2) Disagreement tends to be more enlightening than a mutual admiration society

(3) Perhaps it has more to do with the nature of debate in general rather than being a function of BoS culture?

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Also, long threads like 'Does God Exist?' tend to repeat themselves as each new generation of BoS kids come through, but I don't really see a problem with that.

BlackDragon

HSC
I certainly agree with number two, disagreement is good and can be constructive. But the way that we disagree is so heated and agressive. Its like we feel the need to control other peoples' opinions. Perhaps I do have an issue with the nature of debate more generally, but I still feel that we could discuss things in a much better way. You can have really good and friendly conversations with people that disagree with you.

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
I am so tired of debating things in circles on BOS. It just doesn't get us anywhere, and is often quite heated. Why do we do it? Can't we talk about topics in a constructive, more relaxed way?

What do you think?
I agree. Noone really get's convinced by the other side's argument.

I am, however, ashamed to admit that my previous views on muslims (a view that I have to give full credit to my racist mother by the way) have changed and are more...positive.:eek:

kelly tully

Banned
HSC
N/A
Okay well, I hope you've packed your feelings away in a napsack and stored them in a cupboard.

BlackDragon

HSC
Yeah that's the other thing. Nobody gets convinced by much at all. I think we would all come away with a lot more if we discussed things in a less serious way.

Last edited:

Fish Tank

That guy
HSC
(1) Trolls abound

(2) Disagreement tends to be more enlightening than a mutual admiration society

(3) Perhaps it has more to do with the nature of debate in general rather than being a function of BoS culture?
This.

Debates are fun!

BlackDragon

HSC
I think alot of the time nobody comes away with anything and we really have to think about what we are doing if that is the case.

kelly tully

Banned
HSC
N/A
Ya'll missing the point of a debate if you think it is to try and convince the other side of something.

Probably why you're failing miserably at this NCAP business.

BlackDragon

HSC
But if we don't listen what do we actually gain from talking to each other?

Last edited:

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
Also, long threads like 'Does God Exist?' tend to repeat themselves as each new generation of BoS kids come through, but I don't really see a problem with that.
We have to rid each successive hsc cohort of their beliefs

BoS: Athe-izing australia, one school year at a time :cool:

Name_Taken

HSC
Yeah that's the other thing. Nobody gets convinced by much at all. I think we would all come away with a lot more if we discussed things in a less serious way.
At least you could say that we learn more about the opposing sides of the arguement (if it is one) or other peoples suggestions in discussions.

It doesn't mean we have to be converted to their view, or agree with what they say (haha I won't go there guys :)) but the only way we can learn what others think on issues is to, well, argue.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
It's better now than that time it was just a libertarian circle jerk.

I like the new posters who care about things.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I think that the intellectual heated debates are, most times, very entertaining. Especially when there is a troll involved... although there is a line that has to be drawn between heated discussion and an argument.

badquinton304

HSC
It's always been like this, you get better political debate on stoner forums (not joking), I think the only reason people seek debate here is due to relevance (issues concerning australian youth).

@Graney: Did something happen in the past 24 hours that i'm not aware of?

Last edited:

ilikebeeef

HSC
I certainly agree with number two, disagreement is good and can be constructive. But the way that we disagree is so heated and agressive. Its like we feel the need to control other peoples' opinions. Perhaps I do have an issue with the nature of debate more generally, but I still feel that we could discuss things in a much better way. You can have really good and friendly conversations with people that disagree with you.
That's true but can't really happen with the presence of trolls. Can't do much about it. :\

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)