Deciding on Ext2 English for 2024 (1 Viewer)

hihglightermmmm

HSC
Hey guys,

I have a couple queries for major work requirements. If you so happen to do a critical response, what are you required to respond to. Is it like history ext where you create your own question to answer, or is there a set question. Also, could your critically respond to a film and then explore context etc.

For example, could I do an analytical essay on Ingmar Bergman's film, The Seventh Seal, and explore the major themes of faith, mortality, and love. Does this type of stuff appeal to markers etc.

Sorry if I am coming off as dumb I just have no clue about the structure of the course and would love some guidance because I am considering picking the subject up for year 12.

Cheers.

MJRey

HSC
I completed a critical response for my major work, so I should be able to answer your questions. Essentially, yes, you can create your own question/s to answer and analyse anything you want as long as you can connect it to what you've learnt in Advanced and Extension 1 English in Year 11 and 12 (I say questions because as you do your research, you will find multiple things to consider and explore in your text/s). And whilst I analysed three novels, yes, you can critically respond to a film. If you take a look at the HSC major work showcases of the past, there have been some critical responses that have analysed films and their contextual themes etc.

You could approach it like that, but keep in mind that your ideas can and will change as you do more reading. Also, markers generally want to see an in-depth analysis on a global literary convention/device such as irony (which is what I tackled), pastiche, satire, discourse in fiction etc and its impact on society.

Anyone else with expertise in critical responses please feel free to add your input as well. Hopefully that helps!

raspberriesandpears

HSC
i do extension 2 - i'm not writing a critical response but my friend is and she's evaluating a novel through both the colonial and postcolonial lens and she's really enjoying it
you could explore something like that? i.e if you look at 'The Seventh Seal' through a modernist vs a postmodernist lens. do you see the same themes in each analysis? are they assigned the same value?
on this thread of thought, you could evaluate whether or not 'The Seventh Seal' is a modern or postmodern text, since it's on the cusp as a late 50s movie, through looking at its key themes
just some food for thought! maybe run your plans past your english teacher

chokingonyouralibi

HSC
Hi! I did my English Extension 2 critical response this year on the cultural limitations of Kristeva's theory of abjection, and I analysed horror films from America and China :) It is totally possible for you to view a film through context and themes, and it could even be cool for you to contrast 2 films in their depictions of a specific theme! I've seen a loooot of exemplars that view a couple of films through a postcolonial lens or something like that.
Personally I think films are a great way to form a critical response (I loved doing it), especially if you do ones that aren't super well-known and you have some cool ideas to back it all up.

Good luck if you do choose to take on Extension 2 - its hard at times but so rewarding!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)