Decision ... (1 Viewer)

HSC
hey guys, after getting some 'surprising' (to say the least) results for my trials i feel more confident i can actually make it into this lovely uni, however im stuck with a dilemma, now i like computers and science, but there's no chance im going to go as indepth as something as bachelor of science or computer science, so i chose to get into a totally different field that also interests me, business/finance/commerce etc..

my questions are basically;
whats the difference between a commerce and business degree?
what consists of commerce?
and most importantly;
if i do commerce initially, and then decide to change to economics, would it be easy to transfer over due to the similarity of course, plus are any core subjects done between the two?

thanks!

tempco

HSC
i can't answer all of your questions, but here goes:

b commerce and b economics do the same 6 core subjects in first year. the 2 remaining subjects varies between each person (and it depends on what's available to you (comm/eco have the same choices).

as for transferring, i'm not 100% sure, but it depends on your WAM and UAI. that is, you can't just skip over into eco just because it requires a lower uai than commerce - your transfer depends on your uni marks too.

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
tempco said:
as for transferring, i'm not 100% sure, but it depends on your WAM and UAI. that is, you can't just skip over into eco just because it requires a lower uai than commerce - your transfer depends on your uni marks too.
Unless you withdraw before the 15th of September in Session 2, in which not enough UOC are completed for UAC to consider Uni marks to be of any relevance when applying for a transfer, so only UAI is used.

Idyll

HSC
Casmira said:
if i do commerce initially, and then decide to change to economics, would it be easy to transfer over due to the similarity of course, plus are any core subjects done between the two?
There's only one difference between the commerce and economics degrees, and that's in the economics degree one of your major(s) must be economics. Realistically, there's very little point in switching from commerce to economics because you will do exactly the same subjects and just have a different name on your degree.

HSC
BillyMak said:
Unless you withdraw before the 15th of September in Session 2, in which not enough UOC are completed for UAC to consider Uni marks to be of any relevance when applying for a transfer, so only UAI is used.
Lets assume i work hard and get distinction ;)

Idyll said:
There's only one difference between the commerce and economics degrees, and that's in the economics degree one of your major(s) must be economics. Realistically, there's very little point in switching from commerce to economics because you will do exactly the same subjects and just have a different name on your degree.
so basically which sounds more impressive?

thanks for the reply so far guys :D

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
Casmira said:
hey guys, after getting some 'surprising' (to say the least) results for my trials i feel more confident i can actually make it into this lovely uni, however im stuck with a dilemma, now i like computers and science, but there's no chance im going to go as indepth as something as bachelor of science or computer science, so i chose to get into a totally different field that also interests me, business/finance/commerce etc..

my questions are basically;
whats the difference between a commerce and business degree?
what consists of commerce?
and most importantly;

thanks!
You might want to consider the following two options (if you want to study commerce and do some computer science or infosys)

1. Commerce/Science
2. BCom (InfoSys)

They both have the BCom cuttoff mark, and allow you to combine a Commerce discipline with somethinmg in computers. Com/Science is a double degree and takes 4 years, as opposed to 3 years for a BCom.

HSC
sorry i know i can check the site but im having some dns problems with my internet at the moment barely any sites work, but does UNSW offer any finance courses such as Bachelor of finance? or the commerce binding degree with computer science?

Last edited:

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
Casmira said:
sorry i know i can check the site but im having some dns problems with my internet at the moment barely any sites work, but does UNSW offer any finance courses such as Bachelor of finance? or the commerce binding degree with computer science?
Yes, it's all under B Commerce, and you can do BCom/CSci and combine your degree with computery subjects.

When you enroll in B Commerce you choose 2 electives for your first year, that should (but don't really have to) reflect the majors[1] you want to do. IIRC the main difference between BCommerce and BEconomics is the majors you can do; Commerce has a larger number to choose from and economics basically has a whole lot of different economics majors to choose from.

[1] For a straight BCom degree you can do a single major, double major, major/minor, etc.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
a word of warning. most serious business degrees have a small component on introductory maths and stat. this requires a fairly rudimentary background in calculus and algebra from 2u maths and above. having a general maths background will be inadequate; i strongly advise you to do the "mathematics skills programs" to catch up as you could easily fail the first yr mathy commerce subjects Quantitative methods a and b if you can't differentiate polynomials, etc.

mattchan

HSC
Sorry to bump your thread Casmira :)

But if a commerce degree is taken, would the information in commerce be the same as an economics degree? So basically, what i'm asking is if i take a economics major in Commerce, would the information you learn be exaclty the same as, if you took an economics major in an Economics degree.

HSC
they do the same core subjects, would i be able to major in anything finance? thats what i want to as a major

fidel_castro

HSC
Casmira said:
they do the same core subjects, would i be able to major in anything finance? thats what i want to as a major
When you choose BCommerce, you get to choose two majors out of a pretty big range, such as Finance. So yes, you are able to major in finance. However, you need to pick one more commerce major, maybe accounting or actuarial studies.

You can choose BCommerce/ Science and major in Finance for the commerce component, and if interested, major Computer Science as part of your science component.

And as Seraphim suggested, maths, especially when you're doing Finance, needs to be dealt with.

HSC
Yep im planning to probably get it tutored, should I go upto 3u? i dont mind, i seriously think it would be fun to learn just even 3 unit maths for fun, i have to do 2 majors (is that aka double major?)

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Casmira said:
Yep im planning to probably get it tutored, should I go upto 3u? i dont mind, i seriously think it would be fun to learn just even 3 unit maths for fun, i have to do 2 majors (is that aka double major?)
No, you can also do a single major, and 2 minors.
But most tend to do double majors because in order to gain professional recognition, whether it be in accounting, finance, or actuarial, a major is needed.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Casmira said:
I don't think you should even consider doing anything vaguely mathematical if you have come from a general maths background. it would probably be too late to catch up on the fundamentals (calculus, algebra, etc) so I srsly doubt whether you could handle the normal 1st yr busines statistics subjects as it is (before even contemplating going on and doing further studies in financial math ans stats). it's like trying to run before you have even learnt to crawl. problems in financial maths (which isn't that rigorous) are as hard as any other abstract problems found in physics and computer science.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
§eraphim said:
I don't think you should even consider doing anything vaguely mathematical if you have come from a general maths background. it would probably be too late to catch up on the fundamentals (calculus, algebra, etc) so I srsly doubt whether you could handle the normal 1st yr busines statistics subjects as it is (before even contemplating going on and doing further studies in financial math ans stats). it's like trying to run before you have even learnt to crawl. problems in financial maths (which isn't that rigorous) are as hard as any other abstract problems found in physics and computer science.
thats true. QMA would be made much harder if done without a calc. algebra background.

HSC
§eraphim said:
then that means i'll have to work extra hard over the 4 months break, thanks for the tip

the only quote that keeps me brave enough to big challenges:
"nothing is impossible only very hard, and very hard is possible"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)