Decreasing sequence of positive numbers and convergent series (1 Viewer)

shongaponga

HSC
Hey guys, I am attempting to prove a question that I found from a problem set from Stanford Uni on series and sequences, however I'm having a little bit of difficulty. I've been at it for a while and so finally i've resorted to looking at the provided solution. The question and solution are provided below:

Provided Solution:

Now i recognized that S_n was Cauchy and hence for however this is as far as i was able to get (i had a bit more working but none of it got me much further towards a solution).

My questions are: (1) how is ie i simply can't wrap my head around how this inequality holds (i understand it must have something to do with the fact that a_n is decreasing) - if someone could explain this that would be great! And (2) how would one be able to recognize that (n-N)a_n <= |S_n - S_N| < epsilon would lead to the final result? (eg clues/hints from the question?) It just doesn't come to me intuitively.

Any help, (and alternative solutions) are much appreciated :)

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, I am attempting to prove a question that I found from a problem set from Stanford Uni on series and sequences, however I'm having a little bit of difficulty. I've been at it for a while and so finally i've resorted to looking at the provided solution. The question and solution are provided below:

Provided Solution:

Now i recognized that S_n was Cauchy and hence for however this is as far as i was able to get (i had a bit more working but none of it got me much further towards a solution).

My questions are: (1) how is ie i simply can't wrap my head around how this inequality holds (i understand it must have something to do with the fact that a_n is decreasing) - if someone could explain this that would be great! And (2) how would one be able to recognize that (n-N)a_n <= |S_n - S_N| < epsilon would lead to the final result? (eg clues/hints from the question?) It just doesn't come to me intuitively.

Any help, (and alternative solutions) are much appreciated :)
Here's the answer for (1) (i.e. why ).

The RHS has terms, and each term is greater than or equal to , since the given sequence is decreasing, so the RHS is greater than or equal to if each term were replaced by (which would make it the LHS).

shongaponga

HSC
Here's the answer for (1) (i.e. why ).

The RHS has terms, and each term is greater than or equal to , since the given sequence is decreasing, so the RHS is greater than or equal to if each term were replaced by (which would make it the LHS).
Ahhhhh now i see it, thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)