• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Defence Forces? (1 Viewer)

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Just wondering if anyone here is planning on going to ADFA/RMC @ Duntroon, applying for a scholarship in the Defence Forces (while attending another Uni) or going the ADF any other way?

..I'm planning on doing Nursing @ CSU next year and applying for an RAAF scholarship, and being in the ADF for a while.. (6 years after at least 2 years post-registration experience at a civilian hospital is the minium)

Anyone else hoping to gain entry into the defence forces? Which service? what career path do you hope to follow? are you planning on joining the reserves while at Uni?

Just curious to see who else is interested in a career with the ADF.

(It's either this or the Royal Flying Doctors - or both :D)

Generator

HSC
N/A
I was thinking about ADFA, but using a gun and being 'locked' in for a set number of years does not sound too good once you think about it...

chip

HSC
i did the air force aptitude test but i'm not sure whether i'll go to my interview cause the courses aren't too exhaustive at ADFA

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Nah, they don't have much at all... But, in your second year, you can apply for scholarships, which were $16,000 + p/a (and rises each year until you graduate) plus text book allowance and they cover your HECS.. what did you wanna do Chip?

And Generator, I know, the idea of being 'locked in' for 6 years doesn't impress me a great deal - what if I don't like it? But then again, I would love to make a career in the Air Force - or at least work with them for a while - before kids, at least. The gun thing? I have no problems with that... (well, firing it I don't. Killing someone, well thats another story all together..)

Pirri

Yeah i really want to go to ADFA and study civil engineering but cos i am ashmatic they rekon it will be hard for me to get in is this true? and do u know what i will need in my UAI to get in for civil engineering

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
It could be a bit difficult, but you can get around it - is your asthma really bad? I think if it's not really serious, they'll let you in :)

chip

HSC
yeh the health regulations are pretty tough

i'd love to be a flight officer in the air force or a medical officer

for flight officer i'm fine and i've got an interview next week

but for medical science or whatever i'll have to go to another uni and i've heard its really hard to get those scholarships

does anyone know someone who has got one ?

B

Bambul

I'm considering joining the Army Reserve. I wouldn't mind being a General! :)

chip

HSC
Originally posted by Bambul
I'm considering joining the Army Reserve. I wouldn't mind being a General! :)
hey its good pay too :D

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
It has great pay - and it's tax free so you get to keep your youth allowance :D I'm thinking of applying next year :)

chip

HSC
do you think it easier to get the scholarships if you've been a cadet or member of the reserves ?

i was a cadet and they ask you that on your application

yeh tax free pay and its like what one weekend a month plus they pay for your travel and that

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
I guess that it would certinally help - show that you've had dedication to the Defence Forces before now, and that your really interested in it; not just trying to get a few extra dollars :)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Two of my friends have been pretty much accepted in to ADFA (passed all the tests, I think they have even been recommended for officer status).

However I could never be in the defence forces. It conflicts entirely with my autonomy and sense of self, as well as many of my moral feelings. I couldn't sign my individuality away like that frankly.

chip

HSC
you cant go to ADFA and do medicine but you can join after you've done the course

tieki

I passed all the tests and selection board, and have a position doing electrical engineering with the RAAF next year...only need 85 UAI and I'm set :)

Azn fairies

i apply and made into ADFA... they even gave me p3 laptop for free. beacsue i made it in. also ADFA don't offer doctor degree... im doing aernotical enginner. preety cool as well casue UAI should be 95% . but they lowered it for all the peope who made it in for only a UAI of 90% .... TAX FREE as well -cool

chip

HSC
hey so are you there now?
can you give me advice for the officer selection board i have it next week?????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)