Defining moments of uni (1 Viewer)

X

xeuyrawp

clairegirl said:
1. He's a nice guy and wouldn't block anyone. to you maybe, he wasnt when i was forum fighting with him lol
Just because people fight doesnt mean they're not nice:)

Don't block him, just don't stare into those beady, squinted red eyes.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Just because people fight doesnt mean they're not nice:)

Don't block him, just don't stare into those beady, squinted red eyes.
I can't... it makes me sad and i honestly feel sick

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Haha! Yeah that was a fun argument. But I didn't block you. :)

And I'll only keep it up a little longer. The shock novelty on this avatar is bound to wear off very quickly. That said, I don't think blocking my posts will stop you from seeing my avatar. You'd have to disable all avatars for that.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
Lexicographer said:

And I'll only keep it up a little longer. The shock novelty on this avatar is bound to wear off very quickly. That said, I don't think blocking my posts will stop you from seeing my avatar. You'd have to disable all avatars for that.
ok

*stays away from the forums for a while*

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Lexicographer said:

She can't block your posts anyway, cause moderators can't be put on your ignore list.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
withoutaface said:
I used to make a point of spelling it foetus, until I learned from my friends in Oxford that there is in fact no etymological basis for the ligature spelling. It's an artefact alternate spelling from the bad old days, nothing more.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Lexicographer said:
I used to make a point of spelling it foetus, until I learned from my friends in Oxford that there is in fact no etymological basis for the ligature spelling. It's an artefact alternate spelling from the bad old days, nothing more.
So in other words you intentionally spell it differently to be a rebel?

X

xeuyrawp

jumb said:
So in other words you intentionally spell it differently to be a rebel?
Yeah, I'm not sure I want a rebel operating on me...

"Nah, let's not stitch this up, let's make him look different"

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Check your OED. You should find that though "foetus" was until recently the accepted spelling in British English, Fetus is now the universally used spelling in all technical use.

Considering my current needs, it's best to use the "correct" spelling all the time.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
llamalope said:
wow... i thought that foetus was the only way you could spell it.... i thought fetus was how stupid people spelt it... guess i must be the dumb one eh!
Fetus has always been how Americans spell it. If you'll observe the differences between the languages, in most cases the difference between British and American is that the Americans have shortened a two vowel sound to one vowel.
eg labour, labor
encyclopaedia, encyclopedia
foetus, fetus
etc

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
Lexicographer said:
Check your OED. You should find that though "foetus" was until recently the accepted spelling in British English, Fetus is now the universally used spelling in all technical use.

Considering my current needs, it's best to use the "correct" spelling all the time.
your av is scary

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
Re lex's av...I don't find it very disturbing at all, but when I first looked at it I thought it was fake, like a costume or something..?! But no I have seen worse things before

roger321

HSC
N/A
yeh i thought that they were just differences between UK and US spellings and u see it quite a bit when using medical terminology dont you?
ie oesophagus/esophagus, edema/oedema, haemorrhage/hemorrhage etc

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Just to wade into the debate, I much prefer the British spelling of words and will continue to rebel against any modern urge to switch to a greater level of Americanisation than we're already subjected to.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
progam/programme shits me no end
and colour/color
its so fucking hard to teach spelling these days because we teach one way, then the kids find it spelled another way and it fucks with the heads! not fair on the kiddies!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
Just to wade into the debate, I much prefer the British spelling of words and will continue to rebel against any modern urge to switch to a greater level of Americanisation than we're already subjected to.
Generally I stick to British spelling (since American spelling mostly has no etymological basis) but in this case I readily accepted "fetus" because it is more linguistically correct.

There was a time when I would prefer American spelling of wourds such as "color" and "program" (colour, programme respectively) because they are more phonetically correct and simpler to remember (I sometimes got confused and wrote "coulor" :p) but now I go for etymological accuracy and linguistic precision. If occassionally the Americans have it right (a mere fluke I'm sure) then so be it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)