degree for advertising career (2 Viewers)

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
The only maths you might ever encounter in marketing is learning how to read statistics.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
@trebla what about commerce?
You will have to do some maths/stats in your first year core units when you do commerce. As long as you can survive first year (most people do) then you'll be fine. There might be marketing specific degrees out there though that might help you avoid some of these core units.

neontiger

HSC
You will have to do some maths/stats in your first year core units when you do commerce. As long as you can survive first year (most people do) then you'll be fine. There might be marketing specific degrees out there though that might help you avoid some of these core units.
THIS.

OP - many universities offer Marketing as a second major in Arts degrees. e.g. at USYD you can do a BA with a first major in whatever Table A major you choose and a second major in marketing. Then you skip stats/accounting/economics :) And the ATAR is usually lower ;)

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
THIS.

OP - many universities offer Marketing as a second major in Arts degrees. e.g. at USYD you can do a BA with a first major in whatever Table A major you choose and a second major in marketing. Then you skip stats/accounting/economics :) And the ATAR is usually lower ;)
stats, accounting and micro aren't even that bad. in fact i'd say stats was my most enjoyable unit this year.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Yes but I'm sure you need to have a background in stats, economics, accounting, etc to do well in a marketing job. Especially stats.

So taking a "back way" may not be beneficial at all...

HSC
isn't advertising more about being creative :L
I know there's a small amount of math like simple stats (target markets etc) Why would i need economics and accounting?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
isn't advertising more about being creative :L
Not really. To a degree, yes, but there's a lot more that goes into it.

I know there's a small amount of math like simple stats (target markets etc) Why would i need economics and accounting?
Because you need to understand your role in the business. You won't need to know advanced levels of either of these, but a basic understanding gives you a much stronger position to work from.

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
Have you looked into studying at tafe? Apparently advertising is offered at tafe up to advanced diploma level.

TAFE gets a lot of crap for being well.. tafe, but tafe is superior to uni for a lot of practical subjects.

HSC
I'm sorry but I will not go tafe
My family will disown me and I don't wanna be around some bs

neontiger

HSC
Yes, advertising jobs are extremely well paid, however, it is not an easy area to get a job in. I have many friends who have graduated from university with majors in PR/Advertising/Marketing from reputable universities (USYD, UNSW, UTS), very high WAMs and a good array of extracurriculars who have had to seek jobs in other areas because there are simply a very small number of positions in advertising. The job market for people in all areas of marketing isn't great at the moment, which is why you should also consider other careers as well. Also, it's very much a 'who you know not what you know' industry, so networking through internships/family/friends will definitely give you a competitive advantage over the thousands of other graduates vying for the same jobs as you.

gwenwiver

HSC
N/A
Because you need to understand your role in the business. You won't need to know advanced levels of either of these, but a basic understanding gives you a much stronger position to work from.
Agree with this to a certain extent but having taught marketing students I found those in actually marketing positions, study parttime, and aiming towards higher marketing management positions stressed the fact that they definitely needed to know accounting, especially management accounting. Inexperienced marketing students, understandably, did not realize that they had to use the information provided by accounting and statistical information. The accountants and statisticians prepare the information you have to use it. The mathematics required is not that difficult.

gwenwiver

HSC
N/A
. Also, it's very much a 'who you know not what you know' industry, so networking through internships/family/friends will definitely give you a competitive advantage over the thousands of other graduates vying for the same jobs as you.
This is the case in most industries now and it is so difficult to make people realize it. I have actually seen a student, in an evening class, land a really good job because a company one of his fellow students was working for wanted a particular quality in the person for a position they needed to fill. The fellow student, who was a marketing manager, did group work with him and was very impressed by him.

Last edited:

Mulberry

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Marketing and Advertising are completely different. To do advertising, like in the Gruen Transfer and 'Mad Men', you need to do a bachelor of communications NOT a bachelor of commerce with a major in marketing. The communications degree allows you to major in advertising and there's a lot of emphasis on the different aspects of advertising, including copywriting, art direction, media, etc. if you were to do a degree in commerce, majoring in marketing, you wouldn't do any advertising units. I stress this once more, advertising and marketing are extremely different.

I'm doing a bachelor of communication and I'm majoring in advertising so, yeah. =]
Trust me, you'll enjoy it! =]
I also wanted to do it because of the Gruen transfer and mad men and I have friends doing a bachelor of commerce majoring in marketing and they say that it is completely different to what I'm doing so I'm glad I took the communications route. =]
Good luck! =]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)