dell computers (1 Viewer)

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
hay ive got a dell computer of some sort and it seems to be the biggest pain in the ass

ive been told i cant upgrade much on it once it has been made

id like to add a graphics card,more ram and maybe if there is any money left a new hdd but a friend said for dell desktops that is not possible...

is this correct?

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Usually the cases are sealed as to stop you from opening them :S

You can upgrade through Dell, probably, but I don't think you can do it yourself.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Yes pretty much...if you wanted to your computer "Dell" and not do it yourself.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
ah bugger, ive got a wireless network set up connected to bigpond cable

and the computer came with a dial up modem, could i remove that and place a graphics card there?

also is any type of ram acceptable for p4 comps?

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
It saves them hassles with customer support, not as many calls if nobody fiddles with the hardware. Similar to why they lock clock speed on some name brand computers.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
you can open it up

but you cant access the hard drive and i think they give you limited numbers of slots unless you remove tha dialup modem methinks :confused:

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Just be warned, if you tamper with the insides and take it back to them later on with some sort of issue (irregardless of cause), they may see it as the warranty being void.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Dell also uses proprietary parts with fewer expansion possibilities (i.e. they make the motherboards with deliberately less empty slots, etc.). I'm pretty sure that if you did open it up and have a peek, there wouldn't be too many places to plug new bits in.

You could probably take out the old graphics card (that is, if it isn't integrated) and slot in a new one (you can't put a graphics card into the modem slot, unless you get a 8 year old card). You might also be able to slot out the old RAM and but in a new stick with a higher capacity. For a P4, you'll most likely need to use DDR RAM (current standard).

I_F

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I highly doubt that it is impossible to access things.

The reason for less PCI slots is that it costs less money to make. Oh and unless the dialup modem is occupying an infinate number of slost you will still have a limited number if and when you remove it;).

As far as PCI graphics cards you can buy new, current base model cards that have a PCI interface eg a PCI MX440. It just won't be as good.

Some pictures or model numbers would help a great deal....

HSC
MedNez said:
Usually the cases are sealed as to stop you from opening them :S

You can upgrade through Dell, probably, but I don't think you can do it yourself.
I have a new dell computer,(like less than a yr old) and theres nothign to stop me from opening it. Infact my brother opened it and fixed a loose connection or something just yesterday.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
addymac said:
As far as PCI graphics cards you can buy new, current base model cards that have a PCI interface eg a PCI MX440. It just won't be as good.
Choice use of words. I think even the GMA900 might be better.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
ah help me people

for a free pci slot what type of graphics card would be good

from what ive just read

there is agp slot (which i dont think i have), PCIexpress and the old PCI

my comp has integrated graphics

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
thejosiekiller said:
ah help me people

for a free pci slot what type of graphics card would be good

from what ive just read

there is agp slot (which i dont think i have), PCIexpress and the old PCI

my comp has integrated graphics
Integrated graphics should and probably does crap over any PCI graphics card out there.

If you don't have an AGP slot, then you probably won't have a x16 PCI Express (the version used for newer graphics cards).

PCI stopped being used for graphics cards years and years ago. It simply does not have the capability to move enough data fast enough to effectively render a computer screen over anything but minimum load. I'd stick with the integrated or, if you can, contact Dell and see if you can take it back for a different model or get them to upgrade it.

I_F

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)