Deloittes Development Program (1 Viewer)

Chicago

Now how heavy is that??!!
HSC
Hey,

Did anyone else get accpeted into this??? And more importantly....wtf is it??!!

Someone please post back >_<

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Why did you apply if you didn't know what it was? :p It's basically training and also gives you info about the accounting profession.

From the Deloitte website:

Deloitte Development Program

The Deloitte Development Program offers students in their first year of University, the opportunity to be introduced to the world of professional services.

The program involves a series of events throughout the year entailing self development, networking opportunities and professional skills training.

On the program, you will:

- discover what makes a great leader in the business world
- learn how to perform at your peak in the corporate environment
- learn vital presentation skills
- understand the dynamics of a professional services firm
- visualise the career paths available to you as a chartered accountant
- enjoy drinks with the Deloitte partners.

During these events students are shown the dynamics of the professional services industry enabling them to visualise the careers paths open to them upon the completion of their degree.

turtleface

HSC
I'm doing it atm (started last year, it goes over 2 years)

for us there's 4 events on different days through 2 years

The first one we sort of did mock group presentations, and we talked a lot about Deloitte. The other two were like interview skills and and also talking to Deloitte staff

Chicago

HSC
turtleface said:
I'm doing it atm (started last year, it goes over 2 years)

for us there's 4 events on different days through 2 years

The first one we sort of did mock group presentations, and we talked a lot about Deloitte. The other two were like interview skills and and also talking to Deloitte staff
So does that mean i have to do my research on this company then???!!!

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Chicago said:
First event for this year is I believe next friday the 1st of September. Entries already closed (like last friday). I got rejected pretty quickly.. because I didn't answer the other essay questions that they wanted me to do (well thats what happens when you leave applying right on the last day). OR: because i'm a transferee and i didn't do any business subjects in first semester..

What did you answer for 'why did you apply for this'?

Last edited:

turtleface

HSC
Yeah i think Syd and Melb have different closing dates

when I asked the HR staff about the application process before I applied, they said they were basically looking for people that put effort into the applications and were willing to answer the questions fully

Chicago

HSC
turtleface said:
Yeah i think Syd and Melb have different closing dates

when I asked the HR staff about the application process before I applied, they said they were basically looking for people that put effort into the applications and were willing to answer the questions fully
Mate i cant even remeber what i wrote in my application...i did in really early and then totally forgot about it, not expecting anything to transpire out of it!...so yeah i dont know what ive gotten myself into!! So can i just rock up to the event without preparing for anything??

turtleface

HSC
Oh yeah, if you got in, you're in, no need to prepare.

Its more about Deloitte doing PR and teaching you about themselves, so in a sense, the less you know, the more you'll learn

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
No offence but you sound like you don't give a crap about this program nor have any real interest in the industry. I pity whoever out there actually tried (seriously) to get in but got rejected.

turtleface

HSC
who me?

Some of my friends who don't want to do Accounting (or related stuff at Deloitte) nor work for Deloitte are applying this year too. I was sorta like...why...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
turtleface said:
who me?

Some of my friends who don't want to do Accounting (or related stuff at Deloitte) nor work for Deloitte are applying this year too. I was sorta like...why...
Nah, I meant the topic creator who doesn't know what it's about, nor does he/she seem to even want to find out more (about the profession & industry itself without it being spoon-fed). Judging by the fact they didn't even know what the program involves and were too damn lazy to look at the Deloitte site, it says alot about the person.

EDIT:
Btw jasee... helping research the rival firms eh?

Last edited:

Chicago

HSC
seremify007 said:
Nah, I meant the topic creator who doesn't know what it's about, nor does he/she seem to even want to find out more (about the profession & industry itself without it being spoon-fed). Judging by the fact they didn't even know what the program involves and were too damn lazy to look at the Deloitte site, it says alot about the person.

EDIT:
Btw jasee... helping research the rival firms eh?
Hahahahaha!!! I never thought of it that way....all i wanted was someone whos actually doing/done it to tell me what it entails....ofcourse i read all the basic stuff on the website...i aint braindead....i went and asked my lecturers about it aswell (USYD) and they had no idea what it was, thats why i posted this thread!

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
i did it last year... it's ok... not that great... i guess it sorta lets you know more about the company and the nature of big4

lotsa group activities, we had one where we had to brainstorm all the little things about an industry and then we did a 5 minute presentation to the class

i think they had a breakfast (i didnt attend) and talked about interview tips stuff like that...

you also get a nice certificate =P (which i received this year)

edit: most importantly, free unlimited booze at the end and you get to mix with people who work there :p

Chicago

HSC
:: ck :: said:
i did it last year... it's ok... not that great... i guess it sorta lets you know more about the company and the nature of big4

lotsa group activities, we had one where we had to brainstorm all the little things about an industry and then we did a 5 minute presentation to the class

i think they had a breakfast (i didnt attend) and talked about interview tips stuff like that...

you also get a nice certificate =P (which i received this year)

edit: most importantly, free unlimited booze at the end and you get to mix with people who work there :p

Ok, thats alright i guess....does this program give you a leg up if you wanna do work experience/summer vacation work with Deloittes then?

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
i wouldn't say they'd give you any preference over other candidates

but yeh, they give u lots of tips, but anyone can get tips from the net these days anyway :p

i guess u can tell them in an interview that you have somewhat of an insight into their firm and what they do after completing the development program... which is a good thing hehe (although i admit i didnt really pay attention to much besides trowbridge)

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Yup Wynyard or Circular Quay station, depending on which one is on the way for you. It's slightly closer to CQ.

turtleface

HSC
:: ck :: said:
i wouldn't say they'd give you any preference over other candidates

but yeh, they give u lots of tips, but anyone can get tips from the net these days anyway :p

i guess u can tell them in an interview that you have somewhat of an insight into their firm and what they do after completing the development program... which is a good thing hehe (although i admit i didnt really pay attention to much besides trowbridge)
KPMG actuaries pwns trowbridge :) (at least with james hardie asbestos issue.) (though they're probably pwned by towers perrin tillinghaust (?sp))

Haku

go accepted as well, though it seems pretty pointless to go to such an event when they basically promote themselves, and u need to wear business attire which really sucked. Well i bought new shoes, so might as well go. whos going this afternoon?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)