Depression and the HSC - how do you cope? (1 Viewer)

shayla

HSC
Its true when people are depressed throughout the HSC that it is very hard to get motivated and focus.
For me personally, i find the bible, music and having a somewhat strict tutor helps me (yes my tutor knows cause i knew that i wouldnt be able to hide it from him).

Ringing a counsellor or a friend has always seemed to help me.
Keeping a journal has always helped me- so has writing absolutely anything! For me, being able to vent to someone or on a piece of paper, seems to help me before i go and study if im feeling a bit crappy, so then i go and try to study.

When im feeling down, i may not study or do my work as well as when i am not in a depressed state, but atleast i am continuing with the work and "plodding along", as my tutor tells me.

I have also learnt not to give up.
Last year, i pulled out of year 12 due to issues in my life and this year i am seeing the HSC through to the end, because i know what i want, so as some people have said here, that dropping out of school is A GOOD THING IF YOU CANT COPE, might not be a good thing, if HSC is a goal that you want to acheive.

When i dropped out, i didnt feel that it was the right thing for me to do, because the truth is, ive already completed twelve school years, so wouldnt that be motivational enough to put your head down and try your best? If you are struggling, seek help from teachers/counsellors/parents that is what they are there for and seek help/support of your peers because they are a great source of motivation in times of not much motivation and they are going through the same thing as you, so they would know what its like etc.

My two cents.

shayla

huhwotsthis

HSC
ashabella u seem more occupied with the mental state of BOS mebers than ur hsc=/

shoutoutloud

HSC
Its true when people are depressed throughout the HSC that it is very hard to get motivated and focus.
For me personally, i find the bible, music and having a somewhat strict tutor helps me (yes my tutor knows cause i knew that i wouldnt be able to hide it from him).

Keeping a journal has always helped me- so has writing absolutely anything! For me, being able to vent to someone or on a piece of paper, seems to help me before i go and study if im feeling a bit crappy, so then i go and try to study.

When im feeling down, i may not study or do my work as well as when i am not in a depressed state, but atleast i am continuing with the work and "plodding along", as my tutor tells me.

Last year, i pulled out of year 12 due to issues in my life and this year i am seeing the HSC through to the end, because i know what i want, so as some people have said here, that dropping out of school is A GOOD THING IF YOU CANT COPE, might not be a good thing, if HSC is a goal that you want to acheive.

When i dropped out, i didnt feel that it was the right thing for me to do, because the truth is, ive already completed twelve school years, so wouldnt that be motivational enough to put your head down and try your best? If you are struggling, seek help from teachers/counsellors/parents that is what they are there for and seek help/support of your peers because they are a great source of motivation in times of not much motivation and they are going through the same thing as you, so they would know what its like etc.

My two cents.

shayla
I agree with this post, I think that if you really cant cope the best thing to do is seek medical adive or in the worst of cases drop out. Do not forget the HSC prelimanry certificate is valiadted for up to 5 years. Like Shayla did, dropped out then came back to it coz that was best for her.

Write in a journal also helps which a special friend suggested to me which does help and it makes u feel special!

Ashabella

HSC
ashabella u seem more occupied with the mental state of BOS mebers than ur hsc=/
haha

I can't help it.

Sometimes the HSC just looks so unimportant compared to the problems in the world and the problems that people have as individuals.

I find it hard to think about the HSC a lot of the time, because I tend to have things in perspective so much that it kinda has a negatively impacts on me.

But that's the way I like it. Helping someone is about 1000000000 times more important than studying. I have no doubts about that.

So i'm cool with it....

I'm Happy to help. :)

Ashabella

HSC

My two cents.

shayla

Yes, I agree with the other person that commented on the greatness of this post.

It's great.

It's so incredibly helpful and really really really inspirational.

Miss Shayla is obviously one tough cookie!

Very inspirational indeed...

xo

mikballs

HSC
Ashabella,
I think its really great that you started this and actually helped people.
Hope you're considering a career in mental health!

+

slip00knot

HSC
haha

I can't help it.

Sometimes the HSC just looks so unimportant compared to the problems in the world and the problems that people have as individuals.

I find it hard to think about the HSC a lot of the time, because I tend to have things in perspective so much that it kinda has a negatively impacts on me.

But that's the way I like it. Helping someone is about 1000000000 times more important than studying. I have no doubts about that.

So i'm cool with it....

I'm Happy to help. :)
exactly right. i would give up my hsc in one second for the wellbeing of another person. whether i knew them or not. hsc can be done again. people can't be brought back.

monie678

HSC
hey does any1 out there do geography
or visual arts for hsc??
Total need help lol
Yeh its hard but the hsc is so
worth it now especially with jobs
everything is goin HSC

slip00knot

HSC
hey does any1 out there do geography
or visual arts for hsc??
Total need help lol
Yeh its hard but the hsc is so
worth it now especially with jobs
everything is goin HSC
wrong place to write that.. but yes i do year 12 art.

Ashabella

HSC
Ashabella,
I think its really great that you started this and actually helped people.
Hope you're considering a career in mental health!

+
haha thanks.

Yes, I am actually considering a career of that nature :)

Thanks a bunch for the reply!

xo

shell.q

HSC
i hve my bad days...actually extremely bad days
im on medications and all so they stable me to a point, but stress is a big part witch doesnt help.
I have to say i dont have much coping ways. latley build it up.and letting it out by going to the gym....=]
other then that, hugs help me lol.....but yeah my coping ways arent the best.
mainly coz i feel no one understands wat it is like in these shoes so i dont bother talking about it

rachelaruggeri

HSC
I am a christian so i pray, and even just knowing that God is helping me is good, my boyfriend is a christian now too so we support each other it works, and even if your not a christian praying sometimes helps my friend prayed and it calmed her a bit when she believed it would work.

Ashabella

HSC
i hve my bad days...actually extremely bad days
im on medications and all so they stable me to a point, but stress is a big part witch doesnt help.
I have to say i dont have much coping ways. latley build it up.and letting it out by going to the gym....=]
other then that, hugs help me lol.....but yeah my coping ways arent the best.
mainly coz i feel no one understands wat it is like in these shoes so i dont bother talking about it
Trust me, there are people that understand... You're talking to a forum full of them.

xo

Ashabella

HSC
I am a christian so i pray, and even just knowing that God is helping me is good, my boyfriend is a christian now too so we support each other it works, and even if your not a christian praying sometimes helps my friend prayed and it calmed her a bit when she believed it would work.
That sounds like it really helps :)
I can understand how it would calm you down a lot, that makes a lot of sense.
It must be really great having something to believe in, when everything else feels hopeless.

xo

ya face

HSC
ive been diagnosed with depression and it feels like my life has just been tumbling down suddenly this year and ive ruined my life
theres nothing worse than feeling sad and depressed and tired and agitated and angry and everything bad nearly all the time, usually for no reason you can think of
my first way of coping with it is close friends, i have a handful of close friends that i can tell just about anything to, and love me alot, though it can be complicated for me seeing as my two closest friends are in a relationship and it often feels that my depression is left unnoticed as they are too busy concentrating on being happy with each other, and of course i want them to be happy but the fact that im so alone in that just makes it hurt more. but in the end its all about accepting the fact that im never alone because i have a bunch of people who care deeply about me even if they dont always show it, and theres never anyone better to talk to about my depression than them
i dont know if this is really answering anyones question but it just feels good to let that out to people who might be experiencing something similar
oh and secondly, dont hold back from help from what is provided at your school. my best mate and closest friend is taking me to see the school counsellor to help me, and even though im really scared about it as being male im bad at asking for help from strangers, but ive realised that it really is the right thing to do, so find that confidence
ok ill stop now, cheers if anyone managed to read all this

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)