Depression? (1 Viewer)

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
Re: i don't know

doctors are going to cost whether you go now or whether you get admitted with gushing wrists
unless you do off yourself and then your family gets lumped with funeral charges

harsh but true
go to a doctor. talk it out. work it out.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC

there's always a reason why u feel bad.

ive felt like shit so many times, all the time there was a reason.

sit down and have a think about whats been going on, why ur feeling bad, then think of how to fix the problem.

ubernuton

HSC

there's always a reason why u feel bad.

ive felt like shit so many times, all the time there was a reason.

sit down and have a think about whats been going on, why ur feeling bad, then think of how to fix the problem.
i have already done this, the issue is i don't know why i feel this way i normal do this time i don't

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC

you really should go and see a doctor.
i'm fairly sure you're entitled to a certain number of sessions with a psychologist under medicare.
ask about that.

In the interest of clarification and helping out others in future, i'm merging this thread with another, larger thread about depression. the discussion can still continue in there.
best of luck.

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A

I have suffered with depression and GAD for a while now. I was diagnosed when I was 13 (I'm now 20), but I remember having suicidal thoughts as far back as 11. While it wasn't diagnosed, I also had troubles eating and starving myself, which still continue today.

The depression ended up getting really bad in year 10 after a few environmental triggers (my dad nearly died, my pop who lived with me and was like a second father to me died, I broke up with my first serious boyfriend, was constantly teased at school, lost contact with a lot of friends, yada yada). I was constantly on suicide watch through high school.

I ended up leaving school because I couldn't cope, though this really hurt me and my family because they're academically focused and I was on an academic scholarship. I basically felt like my life was over after that and I ended up in hospital after an OD, tried to throw myself off a shopping centre building and yeah, stupid stuff like that.

After seeing many different psychiatrists and psychologists, I finally found one that I clicked with, was put on medication that agreed with me which I still take today (the first one made me worse) and slowly worked my way back into achieving things. I worked full time for a while which got me into a routine, then went back to TAFE to finish my schooling, which I did with a distinction average. I've also appeared on a national television forum about youth depression and was approached to talk on Sunrise, though I turned it down because I felt uncomfortable being one on one as opposed to being in a group of 50.

Through this experience I learned that I wanted to help others through these and other troubled times (like the people who helped me) so I ultimately want to become a clinical psychologist. People may bag me out because I chose to go to UWS for my undergrad (I originally was accepted into Mac and changed my mind in late round) but they do not know the full story behind me and why I am lucky to attend uni at all, let alone have finished my high school education.

Others believe I am too "sensitive" and will not cope dealing with other peoples issues, though I believe I can understand where people are coming from and I have grown a thicker skin and logical way of reasoning. But I am grateful as to where I am and where I am going, despite the criticism.

The main reason why I'm writing this post is to give hope to people out there who are struggling. You can get better if you work hard at it and there is life after depression. Focus your energy into developing ways to fight it instead of self harm. Good luck.

iNerd

Banned
HSC
How did it affect your life?
not much, just made me feel emo

How did you deal with it?
cry sshit loads, and sent evil morse codes with my fingers to heaven and hell

Did you seek help? Who?
fuk no.

Is it fair on friend/s if you lean on them during this time
hell no. ur life, ur trouble, YOu deal with it.

MissyBella

HSC
How did it affect your life? It still does - I have chronic depression, which I have had since the age of 13 (I will be 20 in a few months). It's fairly well managed now, but during times of illness I haven't been able to get out of bed. I screwed up the end of year 12 because I didn't see myself being alive by graduation.

How did you deal with it? Not well for a very long time. Eventually therapy, dealing with a past trauma and medication, which leaves me relatively stable for the moment.

Did you seek help? Who? Yes, I was in treatment for an eating disorder at the time I was officially diagnosed with depression. So my eating disorder therapist. Now I have a psychologist, GP and a psychiatrist.

Is it fair on friend/s if you lean on them during this time? not entirely sure what you mean by this question - the illness isn't fair. But I have leant on my friends before and they've been far more supportive than I could ever deserve.

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC

12 sessions pa with a psychiatrist if a mental health plan is developed with your gp. Dunno if the same applies to a psycholololigist.
tru, called a 2710
options for an additional 6 session for extreme circumstances.
i only have 2 left :(

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A

anybody been through cognitive behaviour therapy?

if so, what was it like?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

anybody been through cognitive behaviour therapy?

if so, what was it like?
I did for a while, but i really didn't like it. Its meant to 'train' your mind into perceiving things differently, usually in a more positive and logical manner. It just made me annoyed constantly having to re-assess my thoughts etc, imo it adds paranoia, you spend half your time trying to figure out what other people are thinking and how they translate that into their actions.

boris

Banned
HSC

hey have any of you guys with depression ever thought of just being happy all the time?

maybe that could work? you wouldnt be sad for starters

XPac2

HSC

hey have any of you guys with depression ever thought of just being happy all the time?

maybe that could work? you wouldnt be sad for starters
ok well first of all *Slaps Boris* and secondly, you ignorant moron depression isnt some emotion you can just change like that. It's a medical condition in which the chemicals in the brain begin to change in balance, causing the negative pheromones to over power the positiv ones. You can just tell yourself to not have depression, it dont work like that.

boris

Banned
HSC

really? but depressed people are just sad, so why dont they just be happy instead of being sad?

sharon8h

HSC
Boris - if you're read the whole thread you wouldn't be asking this. It's so much more than just being sad.

Ubernuton - You seriously need to speak to someone. Get the ball rolling by going to your GP. A lot bulk-bill so there's no out of pocket expense. See where that leads you. Even if you are left $20 out of pocket between your medicare entitlement and what your GP charges you have to do something.

I am older than you and suffered depression in my late 20s and still in my early 30s. I know how important it is to seek help. I remember how I felt when I was at my worst and if I hadn't sought help I don't know where I'd be.

If you want to pm me to talk, I'm all ears/eyes. take care

boris

Banned
HSC
yeah but instead of unbernuton hurting himself or killing himself, why doesn the just be happy and not hurt himself?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)