Depression (1 Viewer)

James_

HSC
Hey there,
Not sure if this is the correct forum but it was closest I could find.

I am currently suffering from high levels of depression and I recently spent a night in a mental health institution. This depression is very debilitating and I haven't been able to concentrate on my studies at all... I have had several sucide attempts, and thats why I ended up in the hospital. Anyway, I was wondering do any of you guys have some suggestions? I am completely apathetic and unable to become motivated, I am behind in all my subjects and have several assignments due. Is there something I can do to alleviate some of the stress do you think?

My mum has suggested that I take the rest of the year off and repeat year 11 and 12 when I am not suffering from this illness. However, as the HSC is almost here anyway I don't really want to do that... Any suggestions are appreciated. It has also been suggested that I simply do year 12 over two years or go to TAFE.

Thanks for reading the length post...

From,

James

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Depression would probably go away after HSC. It made me a lot happier.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Hey there,
Not sure if this is the correct forum but it was closest I could find.

I am currently suffering from high levels of depression and I recently spent a night in a mental health institution. This depression is very debilitating and I haven't been able to concentrate on my studies at all... I have had several sucide attempts, and thats why I ended up in the hospital. Anyway, I was wondering do any of you guys have some suggestions? I am completely apathetic and unable to become motivated, I am behind in all my subjects and have several assignments due. Is there something I can do to alleviate some of the stress do you think?

My mum has suggested that I take the rest of the year off and repeat year 11 and 12 when I am not suffering from this illness. However, as the HSC is almost here anyway I don't really want to do that... Any suggestions are appreciated. It has also been suggested that I simply do year 12 over two years or go to TAFE.

Thanks for reading the length post...

From,

James
It's a shame that klaris deleted her original "Have a cry" thread... It had a heap of depression related support etc.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Depression is something most people go through at some point in their life (usually earlier rather than later).

All I can say is that I grew out of it. That doesn't help you much, but the best things for me were to make new friends and go out and do things more. Basically keep yourself busy, otherwise you'll sit at home and mope.

Yo1anda

HSC
I say have a go this year and if you really dont do well, try again next year. Don't sit at home.. inactivity is very dangerous.

For now take it easy though. the HSC is in no way the end of the world

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
I say have a go this year and if you really dont do well, try again next year. Don't sit at home.. inactivity is very dangerous.

+1
don't do nothing. you will go even crazier

take some antidepressants

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Also it'd probably be a good idea to see a professional. Their advice would be 100x better than ours.

steph xx

HSC
+1
don't do nothing. you will go even crazier

take some antidepressants
this

i don't suffer from depression but i have a friend who does
he went off his med for six days
and he was inconsolable, hysterical, manic.

see your local doctor.

boganxcore

HSC
It can. Even clinical depression (i.e. prolonged depression) can just go away if life conditions change.
okay yeah i guess that is true. but i dont think that would happen every time right? and i think it would be a longer process rather then straight after the hsc feeling much better.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
First of all, Non School, probably wont get the best replies, so take it with a grain of salt.

Otherwise, i think seek some professional advice, i think medicare will subsidise like 10 (somebody correct me if i'm wrong) sessions with a psychologist providing you have a referral from a GP

aussienerd

Don't eat yellow snow.
HSC
Uni Grad

This is excellent advice...

I was in a similar position to you except i was hospitalised for 2 years and was forced to go to TAFE later on. If you're ok enough to do it just give it a go and don't put yourself down if you don't do as well as you wanted.

bio_nut

HSC
It can. Even clinical depression (i.e. prolonged depression) can just go away if life conditions change.
Mine has lasted through several moves interstate, 2 stints overseas, 5 schools and 1 uni.

I'd say it just going away is pretty damn rare for clinical depression, ask any psychiatrist.

Are you sure yours wasn't just a prolonged situational episode, as that's really, really weird?

bio_nut

HSC
First of all, Non School, probably wont get the best replies, so take it with a grain of salt.

Otherwise, i think seek some professional advice, i think medicare will subsidise like 10 (somebody correct me if i'm wrong) sessions with a psychologist providing you have a referral from a GP
I think it's actually six, but if further treatment is necessary they will often keep subsidising, particularly if the patient is a young adult.

bio_nut

HSC
Yeah it can depending on the factors that brought them on. If they're environmental that could be dealt with.
These tend to be, like you said, environmentally affected episodes, not so much severe chemical imbalances.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
Cutting ties with negative social influences and staying away from the bottle as much as possible has done wonders for me.

That, and moving to the other side of the country and finding the right girl.

I think you need to alter your current environment as much as you possibly can, without running away from your mental health issues.

Also, talk to someone regularly. Medicare give a massive rebate on something like 12 sessions with a psychologist for young people. It works out around $30-40 a session, and may be incredibly helpful in getting your emotional state and studies etc back on track.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)