Depression (1 Viewer)

bio_nut

HSC
k, wotever. Just talking from self-experience. Unfortunately the depression came back in after a few weeks of uni. :(
Doesn't sound like fucking depression you retard, just stress. Anxiety over uni work/school work is perfectly normal up to a certain level.

Depression doesn't magically go away in the holidays.

FlipX

HSC
I say have a go this year and if you really dont do well, try again next year. Don't sit at home.. inactivity is very dangerous.

For now take it easy though. the HSC is in no way the end of the world
+1

As some of the other guys have posted, do seek professional advice. Not only will you be able to get more appropriate help this way, you should also be eligible as a result for extensions on assessments, etc.

Being able to talk through some of your feelings with friends is probably a good idea as well, and will help you to maintain crucial social contact. What ever you do, don't stay indoors and mope - get parental consent to get involved with extra-curricular activities. Keep being physically active; it all helps.

It may also be advisable to look into study tips - poor study habits could be exacerbating your situation, as you fall further behind on commitments. Taking the HSC at a slower pace is a valid option, but be aware that it may also make you feel worse as your friends graduate and move forward.

jezzmo

Now lactating. Sample me.
HSC
N/A
You are sad because life is legitimately shit.

There is no cure.

So take some medicine, find a new outlook on life with less emphasis on analysis, or just simply breathe less oxygen and get a little giddy..

at the end of the day, it's all about tricking yourself into something a little more comfortable to wear.

Last edited:

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I'd say it just going away is pretty damn rare for clinical depression, ask any psychiatrist.

Are you sure yours wasn't just a prolonged situational episode, as that's really, really weird?
From wiki:

Major depressive episodes often resolve over time whether or not they are treated. Outpatients on a waiting list show a 10–15% reduction in symptoms within a few months, with approximately 20% no longer meeting the full criteria for a depressive disorder.[222] The median duration of an episode has been estimated to be 23 weeks, with the highest rate of recovery in the first three months.[223]

I grew out of mine also, learning to throw myself into projects and a bit of life experience probably helped.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
You are sad because life is legitimately shit.

There is no cure.

So take some medicine, find a new outlook on life with less emphasis on analysis, or just simply breathe less oxygen and get a little giddy..

at the end of the day, it's all about tricking yourself into something a little more comfortable to wear.
You've been spurting out wise words lately, jezzmo, instead of the usual intelligent trolling.

I'm scared.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Mine has lasted through several moves interstate, 2 stints overseas, 5 schools and 1 uni.

I'd say it just going away is pretty damn rare for clinical depression, ask any psychiatrist.

Are you sure yours wasn't just a prolonged situational episode, as that's really, really weird?
Clinical depression is simply defined as prolonged depression (depression being a normal part of human personality).

To quote wikipedia (not the best source, but hey): "Major depressive episodes often resolve over time whether or not they are treated. Outpatients on a waiting list show a 10–15% reduction in symptoms within a few months, with approximately 20% no longer meeting the full criteria for a depressive disorder.[222] The median duration of an episode has been estimated to be 23 weeks, with the highest rate of recovery in the first three months.[223]"

Edit: Looks like Graney beat me to it.

Last edited:

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
First of all, Non School, probably wont get the best replies, so take it with a grain of salt.

Otherwise, i think seek some professional advice, i think medicare will subsidise like 10 (somebody correct me if i'm wrong) sessions with a psychologist providing you have a referral from a GP
I got 24 hours from the Government.

Woot for Victim's of Crime Act.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)