• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

'Desperate housewife' upstages President Bush (1 Viewer)

jennylim

HSC
'Desperate housewife' upstages President Bush

First Lady Laura Bush grabbed the stage from President George W Bush at the White House correspondents' annual dinner on Saturday and confessed to all his early bedtimes had turned her into a "desperate housewife".

Laura Bush, who is often seen smiling sweetly at her husband's side, stood up just in time to rescue the audience of political heavyweights and Hollywood celebrities from Mr Bush's retelling of a joke about steel rail "cattle guards" that bombed before a Montana town meeting in March.

"Not that old joke - not again," Mrs Bush said, as her husband willingly relinquished the stage.

"I've been attending these dinners for years and just quietly sitting there.

"Well, I've got a few things I want to say for a change."

One of the First Lady's main targets was the President's bed time.

"I said to him the other day, 'George, if you really want to end tyranny in this world, you're going to have to stay up later'," Mrs Bush said.

"Nine o'clock and Mr Excitement here is in bed, and I am watching Desperate Housewives - with Lynne Cheney. Ladies and gentlemen, I am a desperate housewife."

Mrs Bush also joked about the President's mother Barbara Bush.

"People think she's a sweet grandmotherly aunt Bea type. She's actually more like (fictional Mafia capo) Don Corleone."

She says that her husband actually knew little about ranching when they bought their property in Crawford, Texas.

"I'm proud of George. He's learned a lot about ranching since that first year, when he tried to milk the horse. What's worse, it was a male horse," she said.

Mrs Bush also ribbed her husband for his notoriously rowdy youth, but said they were meant to be together.

"I was a librarian that spent 12 hours a day in the library. Yet somehow I met George."

Mrs Bush's string of one-liners generated hearty laughs from the audience, which included celebrity names such as Richard Gere, Mary Tyler Moore, Venus and Serena Williams, Goldie Hawn and Elle MacPherson, as well as journalists and politicians.

----------------------

HAHAHAHAHAHA go laura!

tempco

HSC
jennylim said:
"I said to him the other day, 'George, if you really want to end tyranny in this world, you're going to have to stay up later'," Mrs Bush said.

"Nine o'clock and Mr Excitement here is in bed, and I am watching Desperate Housewives - with Lynne Cheney. Ladies and gentlemen, I am a desperate housewife."

"I'm proud of George. He's learned a lot about ranching since that first year, when he tried to milk the horse. What's worse, it was a male horse," she said.
BWAHAHAHHA!! god at least one bush does things right.

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
It shits me that this is the level politics is brought to. Fair enough it can't (and shouldn't) be serious all the time, but when you put on shows like this to "bring it to the masses" or whatever, it just trivialises the whole thing. Remember those "vote or die" campaigns?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
It's a bit like when Bush joked (to a big audience) about no WMD being found in Iraq. What an instinct for comedy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)