• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Devices for University (1 Viewer)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I wouldnt bother bringing a computer at all - I'd just bring a pen and paper. Truthfully, I didnt even bring that - I brought nothing to university for 3 years.
Let's face it. You barely showed up to classes haha.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I never got this memo rude

In my learning guide it says to bring the weekly reading to the tutorial though :/
deoends on your subjects but honestly in most circumstances textbooks are useless and are there for indepth use of your own if you need to clarify something. Although lecturers follow textbooks, it's only really a guide and you'll find a lot of stuff they say aren't in textbooks.
I haven't bought a textbook since first sem of first yr lol.
Deoends again really in your subjects, some subjects textbooks are essential Coa they have assessments that are open book or use the textbook. Other than that, imo course materials are always sufficient

D94

HSC
N/A
I don't bring anything to uni besides compulsory shit like lab books. My lectures I am empty handed and there to listen.
i.e. you have lecturers who upload notes/materials online

try having lecturers who do neither and go empty handed

pHyRe

HSC
well printing is only like 10c p/p b&w (if you're printing at uni or Officeworks)
still seems like a bit of a waste of money - even if its only say 1 or 2 hundred a year, leaving aside the waste it creates for the environment

not to mention electronic annotations are so much neater and harder to crumple etc.

but to each their own

pHyRe

HSC

never had any like that in the last 2 years, what uni do you go to?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

then I'd rely on recordings

and if they don't do that then I'd seriously complain about then, it's ridiculous. What if you got sick and missed a lecture or something.
These are literally the only times a textbook would form in handy I wouldn't even go to lectures tbh.

D94

HSC
N/A
never had any like that in the last 2 years, what uni do you go to?
UNSW

then I'd rely on recordings

and if they don't do that then I'd seriously complain about then, it's ridiculous. What if you got sick and missed a lecture or something.
These are literally the only times a textbook would form in handy I wouldn't even go to lectures tbh.
No recordings, all hand written on the whiteboard. If you missed a lecture, better hope you have friends.

There's no real basis for complaining. At UNSW, you are required to attend all classes as per the student code of conduct. There are no provisions stating the lecturer has to upload something online or use the recording system. We (as in the 2012 starting mech cohort) did make CATEI complaints but it's clear it's not an issue.

Maybe square will start attending lectures haha

oilsen and prusty have them both next semester rip
rip indeed, better work on your handwriting skills

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad

rip indeed, better work on your handwriting skills
actually this semester I will attend the lectures from mon to thurs and work on Friday and catch up on them on Saturday I think I got this

I heard oilsen doesn't let you take photos in his lectures of working out etc so rip again

gonna get rekt again I think MMAN3200 will tear me a new one

enoilgam

HSC
No recordings, all hand written on the whiteboard. If you missed a lecture, better hope you have friends.

There's no real basis for complaining. At UNSW, you are required to attend all classes as per the student code of conduct. There are no provisions stating the lecturer has to upload something online or use the recording system. We (as in the 2012 starting mech cohort) did make CATEI complaints but it's clear it's not an issue.

A key reason why I despise university - at $1500 a unit, you are a customer and have every right to complain and request more suitable standards.

D94

HSC
N/A
actually this semester I will attend the lectures from mon to thurs and work on Friday and catch up on them on Saturday I think I got this

I heard oilsen doesn't let you take photos in his lectures of working out etc so rip again

gonna get rekt again I think MMAN3200 will tear me a new one
No photos my friend, Olsen will rip you

MMAN3200 was alright

D94

HSC
N/A
It's 2016 idk wtf they're doing still not uploading course materials
Only way to get students to turn up to lectures is to write all content on the board. I guarantee John Olsen's lectures had a consistent 90%+ attendance rate every single lecture. For a 'lecturer', that is definitely an achievement.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Only way to get students to turn up to lectures is to write all content on the board. I guarantee John Olsen's lectures had a consistent 90%+ attendance rate every single lecture. For a 'lecturer', that is definitely an achievement.
The only thing attendance is doing is making himself look good, if the marks by students don't reflect that the tbh no point.

D94

HSC
N/A
The only thing attendance is doing is making himself look good, if the marks by students don't reflect that the tbh no point.
Actually the marks reflected too well in the assignments to the point he had to make the marking criteria tougher for the finale exam. Essentially no working out marks in the final exam. Full marks or 0.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Actually the marks reflected too well in the assignments to the point he had to make the marking criteria tougher for the finale exam. Essentially no working out marks in the final exam. Full marks or 0.
so do you get full marks if you write an answer only lol

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
To be fair, a lot of the staff in the school in question are really really old school.

Any way, continue this talk in a different thread to keep this one on topic please.

Thanks.

pHyRe

HSC
ive found my own lecturers to be pretty good at putting everything online and everythings recorded (at usyd)

i think the argument against could be that it reduces the uni culture if people dont actually go very often. but the best way to counter that is compulsory tutes or handing in things during tutes with lectures on those days to maximise hours attended

also having ample study space, i think usyds been a bit lacking there last couple of years; gets pretty full last couple of weeks of sem. during exams its usually fine because tute rooms are open. but with the new business building there should be tonnes of extra space, 2-3 learning hubs and hundreds of chairs/tables as well as booths and couches

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)